back to article Pay-by-mobe app spells doom for impulse buyers

Simply Tap, the Dunstone-backed mobile payments system, is now live in the UK, allowing shoppers to buy a phone using their, er, phone in Carphone Warehouse stores. Simply Tap was announced back in March and is now available for iOS and Android platforms. The service takes your credit card details and then uses them to pay for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Pete the not so great

did someone say free money?

gimmie

2. M7S

Dunstone might actually be right on this one

as in any branch of Carphone Warehouse near where I work, there assistants are always unavailable or there is a very long queue.

Or they harrangue you to try and sell you some tat that isn't what you went in for, although I concede his interest is likely to be the former of these two scenarios

3. Code Monkey
    Pint

Simply Tap

Granny-friendly Ginger soul/spoof pomp metal crossover tribute band?

Beer because, well because.

4. Jedit Silver badge
    Headmaster

£10 cashback on the first purchase?

1) Install app.

2) Make one purchase.

3) Receive £10 cash back.

4) Uninstall app.

I'm really not seeing any flaws in the logic for the consumer, but quite a lot for Simply Tap.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bloody stupid of them not using QR codes.

6. tmTM

simply

Pay with cash.

7. Kubla Cant
    WTF?

How does this work?

I go into Carphone Warehouse (actually, I don't, but let's assume I do). I see a phone I like, and I tap a code into my phone. Then I pick up the phone and walk out? And nobody stops me?

Of course all the phones on display are dummies, and they're tied down to prevent theft by other dummies, so that's not going to work.

But substitute merchandise that's actually available to carry away, and I still don't get it.

"Excuse me, Sir, have you paid for that?"

"Yes, I tapped a magic number into my phone."

"That's OK then."

8. Lee Dowling Silver badge

Mr Problem? Ah yes, I heard that Mr Solution was looking for you. If you'd just wait here...

9. Timo

tools

One more shiny shiny new thing that makes it easier to separate a fool from his money. Micropayments are awesome too - they're only a quid or so... but after a few hundred of those it adds up to real money.

10. JDX Gold badge

You don't think the app will let you show a receipt?

11. Keep Refrigerated
    Go

Purchase from street ads

Actually I'd be quite interested in being able to scan something from an advertisement on the street and order it right there and then.

The amount of times I've seen something and thought "Oh yes, I need to (compare the price and) order one of those when I get home" then subsequently forgot...

12. we all know how irritating it is having to interact with the shopkeeper in any way Silver badge
    Coat

While I agree with the cynicism of this statement, why do I feel this will soon become the latest Internet norm?

Coat -- coz I've mislaid my phone (oh shit, my life's fallen apart - I must find my phone...)

13. dapatel

children development

Hi,

Population differences may occur in older children, if, for example they have learned that it is appropriate for boys to express emotion or behave differently than girls, or if customs learned by children of one ethnic group are different from those learned in another. ..

phonic http://www.childfont.com/visitor/index.aspx

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like