back to article Anonymous confusion in clash with Mexican drug cartel

Plans by Anonymous to expose members and associates of a Mexican drug cartel have reportedly been abandoned, at least locally, amid doubts whether a member of the hacking collective was ever really kidnapped by the group. In an ultimatum posted on YouTube on 6 October (and much later in English), Anonymous threatened to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is one of those TV shows cancelled after a season, right?

Honestly, you can't make this shit up.

2. chris lively

Poor Sabu

re: "Notorious Anonymous hacker Sabu, for example, tweeted: “# OpCartel is more alive than ever and as I told others in private, the war against corruption is on both sides of the spectrum. We are going to WAR!”"

Somehow, I really doubt that Sabu truly understands what "WAR" with the Zetas means. It's not like regular internet "wars" where both sides call each other names like "n00b" or whatever and break into each others secret websites while the worst that happens is that someone has their feelings hurt.

Nor is it a situation where they just come by and slap you around.

It's more like you walk out of your house and you are dead. No warning, no taunts. Just a bullet to the back of the head. One moment there, the next just a stain on the ground.

Earlier I had applauded those willing to stand up. After having thought about it some more, I really think that this is a situation that only a trained military can handle; everyone else should just stay out of the way.

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Well, I've asked, rhetorically, whether anyone has heard of someone who provoked Anonymous and ended up unscathed.

I think I'm safe in my belief that if Anon ever actually -did- go after Los Zetas, then Los Zetas would not end up the losers. I'm not sure whether it would be safer or less safe than angering the worst of the Russian mob - maybe the only difference would be technique. The Russians would scare you more before; the Zetas would scare you more during...

4. Daniel 4

Could well be a hoax, but don't blame Anon for being anon

"For one thing issuing an ultimatum demanding the release of an unnamed person makes no sense."

If this makes no sense to you, then I would suggest you haven't thought the situation through. To name the individual makes them vulnerable to reprisals both before the deadline and, should Anon release the information, after. What's more, these reprisals are likely to be both from Los Zetas and (should he survive) from without.

On the other hand, effectively demanding that EVERYONE currently being held is released doesn't automatically give your guy away, and leaves open the possibility that you didn't even have a guy in there in the first place.

As far as the kicking the hornet's nest that is Los Zetas... I'm torn, and I'll admit that. These are ruthless killers who will take out innocents in order to keep their empire in line without even a second of hesitation. On the other hand, I don't generally blame the government when a terrorist kills a lot of people. Since right now there is really no civil authority there deserving of the name, I can't blame any local member of Anon (or anyone else) who tries to strike back in whatever way is at their disposal.

-d

1. Solomon Grundy
      Meh

Wrong Logic

You're using the wrong logic. You assume that Zetas logic is something like yours, and you're very wrong. You're assuming a defensive strategy and they don't do that, they use insanely aggressive strategies to deal with those who threaten them; even if they aren't 100% sure who they are. Know your enemy and all that.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Indeed. A cartel gunning down a busload of (emigrant) men, women, and children because. The bus belonged to a rival gang, and the bus driver strayed out of their territory probably counts. When you've got guys in your employ who don't bat an eyelash at pumping assault rifle rounds into children and babies, all time for reason has past.

If the government were reasonably clean itself, maybe you could treat the cartels as an invasion force, go all out. But they have a hold on the government, too.

Given that, if I were running Mexico, I'd probably make a tacit agreement - do as you wish with the drugs, but stay away from civilians. And if a civilian is hurt, I send in a hand-picked squad who are uninvolved with anything else, and start taking out the management. Not from the top down, but from the bottom up. Less intra-cartel fighting, and a nice reminder to the guy in charge that his number will come up some time.

It'd piss off the US, but if I were running Mexico, seeing clubs burned and bussloads of people gunned down would piss me off more...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We all know what happened.

They did a tiny bit more research into the Zetas and shit their pants so bad it caused a cholera epidemic.

6. JC 2

A Case Where Being Anonymous Isn't Such A Great Thing

When you're a public figure, outlaws may hesitate for a moment before murdering you but when the average citizen has to be a fool to attack, how much more would it be the case when they can take you out without anyone knowing who, what or why? Most of these anon kids are somewhere between living in their parents house and their first apartment if not in school still, it seems hardly possible that they're up from their computer long enough to know if 3 armed thugs are waiting outside their window right now.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

donde es tres amigos?

How long before anon has military arm with questionable origins?

It won't be long before the mexican cartels are consolidated enough in texas for similar gang wars to erupt there. Although i suspect the outcome to be somewhat different.

But maybe not they have been quite successful taking over many industries, laundering billions through the texas economy so why rock the boat?

1. Solomon Grundy
      Meh

Long Time

It will be a long, long time before the neckbeards that are Anon have a military wing. They don't fight with violence, they fight with their minds and skillz. Hahahahahahahahaha. They will die.

8. SuperTim
    FAIL

Trolls and hackers....

Not as brave as they make out are they!

9. multipharious

"Valuable" cartel tip-offs

This reminds me of one of the Officer Stadanko skits.

Cheech, "Hey man like I was watching TV like the other day man, and like they said like that if you know some guy that is pushing, like uh drugs man, and then you could call a telephone number and you could get a reward if you turn em in, is that still on man?"

10. Platelet
    Coat

Bravely ran away, away

Bravely bold Sir Robin rode forth from Camelot.

He was not afraid to die, O brave Sir Robin!

He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways,

Brave, brave, brave, brave Sir Robin!

He was not in the least bit scared to be mashed into a pulp,

Or to have his eyes gouged out, and his elbows broken;

To have his kneecaps split, and his body burned away;

And his limbs all hacked and mangled, brave Sir Robin!

His head smashed in and his heart cut out

And his liver removed and his bowels unplugged

And his nostrils raped and his bottom burned off

And his pen--

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

The pen is, indeed, mightier than the sword.

1. Anonymous Coward 101

"The pen is, indeed, mightier than the sword..."

...said the writer about to get his head sliced off.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

There are a few websites

where videos of what these "humans" do to each other and its NOT pretty.

Make no mistake, these guys dont fuck around. They either kill you where you stand or 'nap you and then torture the shit out of you before killing you anyway...

Bad bad bastards....

Fire because its one the ways they torture you!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like