back to article What is wrong with the Data Protection Act?

Bad news guys! I have just received my Tribunal Decision which throws out my attempt to find out what is wrong with the UK’s Data Protection Act. The decision means that 60 million data subjects and one-third of a million data controllers will not fully understand why the European Commission thinks that the UK’s implementation …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dick Emery
    Trollface

Paperwork

I refer the honourable gentleman to the movie Brazil.

2. dephormation.org.uk
    FAIL

What is wrong with the UK’s Data Protection Act...

I can answer that in 3 letters for you...

I C O

How many enforcement notices over the last 12 months? Nil. Nada. Nothing. None what-so-ever.

Yet at the same time, Chris Graham reports rising levels of complaints about data handling in the private and public sector.

3. Andy E
    FAIL

I'm surprised at El Reg...

...for publishing this. The chap obviously has a bee in his bonnet about the UK's implementation of the UK directive. All countries enshrined the directive into national law and there are a few interpretations out there. Some are more stringent than other and some are just odd.

Looking through the reasons as explained in "Why 18 Articles are deficient" I can't see anything earth shattering. For example: Articles 2 and 7 – the absence of a definition of “consent” in the Data Protection Act, which the Commission considered was required by the Directive.

Yes, the Data Protection Act needs an overhaul to keep it current and relevant and probably more in line with the original intention of the EU directive. However, if you think that this will make the Government more accountable for DPA infringements then you are sadly mistaken. As for making companies more inclined to comply with the law then you are also mistaken. I can't see the Gov wanting to stump up the cash to give the ICO more resources.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Your name has been recorded as a potiental trouble maker

for future reference

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like