back to article Gadget Shop kingpin cuffed in nightclub 'toilet sex' incident

Police in Orlando have confirmed they arrested Scottish technology entrepreneur Chris Gorman and his wife following an alleged tryst in the toilets of Roxy Club in Orlando, Florida. According to the arrest reports seen by The Register, officers working in an off-duty capacity at the nightclub in August were informed that a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. PsychicMonkey
    Joke

"services to business"

Nudge nudge, wink wink. say no more.

1. Scorchio!!

Re: "services to business"

'Me and my girl, putting it about' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mZXNnAzzVI

For once the Python sketch on photographs taken on holiday seems to be appropriate.

2. mdava

Coincidence?

That the link immediately below the comments link is:

"Previous ← Three touts dongle-sharing DIY hotspot box"

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Like everthing else in the US, their 'stalls' must be a lot bigger than ours to get them two in + a beefy black guy doing their 'thang'

Let hope she enjoyed it, though the photo says otherwise

1. Josco

Beefy?

Where did it say beefy? he may have been exceptionally skinny.

2. Shooter
      Coat

@ AC 13:10

>> Let hope she enjoyed it, though the photo says otherwise<<

Let's hope *he* enjoyed it, though the photo says otherwise.

There, fixed that for you.

3. peyton?

Stalls for the disabled

Are frequently quite large to allow for better wheelchair accessibility.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

And have a variety of additional rails

with which more athletic positions can be more readily achieved

4. Rob Dobs
    Devil

officers

at a strip club in an "off-duty" capacity.... really?

What good does that do other than having people that don't look like the police interfering in the types of things that must go on regularly at such a place?

More like they were hanging out at the club on their own personal business, and came up with this as lame excuse as to why they were they to begin with.

1. Dan 10

Read it again...

"officers _working_ in an off-duty capacity" - I'm assuming that means they were working security for the club.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yes, really

It's fairly common for cops to supplement their income by working security jobs when not on duty. If the cops were there as customers, why were they investigating the restroom shenanigans? Wouldn't they be preoccupied?

1. matt 83
        Unhappy

yeah, but if the cops are WORKING there off duty what are they doing arresting people for "battery on a law enforcement officer" or "interfering with a police officer".

Using your public office to pursue a private enterprise sounds like corruption or abuse of power.

1. Rob Dobs
          Unhappy

All for them earning some extra dough

But you can't act like an officer when you are employed as a bouncer. Understand that officers work off-duty, but you can't act as officer in that respect, I really hope they fight these charges and even sue the officers for claiming such spurious charges.

1. laird cummings

@ Rob Dobs

> But you can't act like an officer when you are employed as a bouncer. <

Actually, yes, you can - One of the nice advantages (to the club) is that all the off-duty plod has to do is whip out his badge and identify himself as police, and suddenly all his police powers are in force. Effectively, it means that the club has the police immediately to-hand if anything gets nasty - No need to wait for a unit to respond to a call.

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
          Thumb Up

@matt 83

"Using your public office to pursue a private enterprise sounds like corruption or abuse of power."

*Excellent * point which their attorneys should pursue.

*Either* they're police officers 24/7 (which means there is no time when you *can* "batter" a police officer) or they are not.

Otherwise what's the penalty for pushing a bouncer in a nightclub when (allegedly) off your t**s on drugs?

Thumbs up for the point, not the behavior.

3. FrankAlphaXII
      FAIL

The Roxy isn't a Strip club, it may as well be (its not exactly a high brow type of place) but its a regular type of crappy club, 12 dollars for a beer, and not even a good one. I live in Orlando, and there are cops that work outside of all of the Clubs, whether Downtown (where most of them are) or wherever. This one's on Colonial Drive, but it still warrants their attention.

And she's lucky she obviously wasn't American, OPD would have beat the holy living shit out of her for hitting one of them if they had reason to believe that she wasn't an international.

5. Dazed and Confused

Oh get a life

Haven't the police got anything better to do.

If they arrested everyone who had sex in a night club toilet there wouldn't be anyone left to visit night clubs... come to think of it, I don't think there would be many police officers left either.

1. Figgus
      Facepalm

RTFA

They weren't arrested for sex in a toilet.

They were arrested for getting rowdy with the cops!

2. Marvin the Martian
      IT Angle

"Haven't the police anything better to do"?

I don't know how lively that county is -- so maybe yes, maybe no.

The question is, doesn't ElReg have anything better to do? "Scottish businessman arrested for ignoring police order to stay away from his wife"... Sheesh, that interests me deeply, that's why I read Hello! and the DailyMail and all that. Religiously.

3. laird cummings
      FAIL

@Dazed & etc...

> Haven't the police got anything better to do. <

Re-read the article: Off duty. As in "taking additional employment on their own time." And actually, since that was on Colonial Blvd, you'd think folks would be *happy* to have additional police presence.

At least it wasn't OBT.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pass the eyebleach please.

7. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge
    FAIL

Some people seemingly have no common sense

If the police report is to believed it seems all three were given a Get Out Of Jail Card for free, told to sling their hook and that's the end of it. Only through their subsequent actions have they ended up in the position they have. The anonymous black feller seems to have had enough sense to bugger off into the night, no doubt breathing a sigh of relief at his good fortune and it not having a worse outcome for him.

I suspect the judge is going to have as little sympathy as I have.

1. FrankAlphaXII

Thats because the Black guy was more than likely probably a local, and more than likely had run ins with OPD or the Orange County Sheriff's Office enough times to know that if they're actually letting you go (its rare around here, they arrest people only for resisting arrest alot of the time) that you'd better beat feet and get the hell out of wherever before they change their minds or the shift supervisor at Pershing Street shows up and tells them to take everybody.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Also, playmobil

that is all.

3. da'squid

Yeah, the black guy was most likely local. In other words he knew better than to argue with US cops. An open hand shove to a cop is hardly the height of assault, now is it really. I wouldn't be surprised if the cops were throwing their weight around more than a bit. Thing is they don't take at all kindly to any push back, literal or otherwise. Mr G probably didn't appreciate that either when told not to approach.

I'd question the actions of police on the spot in the UK (have done). I'll argue with them too without being physical and while controlling language to a point. Not in the US though. That's madness. The only thing that's going to help here in the land of the free is lot's of yes sir with the emphasis on sir.

Brit resident in USA.

8. Ian McLaughlin
    FAIL

El Reg now needs a Daily Fail sidebar-of-shame

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

if sex in a club toilet is an arrestable offence....

....half of the uK population should be locked up.

WOW, i the yanks are a bit weird!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

if only failing to read the article properly before passing comment were so harshly dealt with

10. Stretch
    Stop

slightly incorrect

Article seems to suggest that WHSmith bought The Gadget Shop off this bloke, which is not correct. It was in fact bought by another company who ran it as a going concern until selling the brand only to WHSmith.

11. Cunningly Linguistic

Looks like Mr & Mrs Gorman like to watch the BBC.

12. Grozbat

wtf

Only time I remember people bring arrested for having sex was in the middle east. But that was on a beach. Surely a toilet stall is private?

13. Evil Weevil
    Joke

Inspector Gadget angle

"Go go gadget!"

14. tojb
    Facepalm

Further evidence that society has lost all decency

Wouldn't it have been more polite of the police to cough a few times and wait until the various parties involved/not involved had straightened up their clothing, wiped their noses and come out to discuss whatever the problem might have been?

These people are supposed to be public servants, yet they throw their weight around like monkeys in blue wooly suits.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"off-duty"

"Off-duty" probably means working a second job as a bouncer – quite common in some parts of the US

16. Big Al

@Rob Dobs

The lads were probably moonlighting as bouncers/security guards to earn extra cash. After all, they're trained to subdue and firearms, and have great contacts with the local PD... I can see them being quite in demand!

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Gadget Shop should be renamed

To The Cheap Tat Shop.

These days these just seem to sell the sort of cr@p that even Toys-R-Us refused to stock because they thought it too naff and overpriced. And if I see another Oregon Scientific "weather station" (ie a £100 thermometer which doesn't work properly + clock - oooo!) I'll chuck it at that stupid battery powered ball of fluff with a tail thats always in a tray at the front.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

perhaps they should go to the sort of club that has a couples room.

(I assume they would be flexible enough to let a trio in.)

19. LarsG

TOILETS IN AMERICA......

cater for really fat people, they are after all the most obese nation in the world. In fact I reckon there would have been space for at least 5 more....

Standing room only though!

1. BrownishMonstr
      Unhappy

Unfortunately

I don't think us Brits will be that far behind.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

the missis looks quite

an eiffel

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

off duty

If they were off duty then how could the gormans be done for assault of an officer? How would they know that these weren't 2 freaks with a penchant for peeping? Hmm. Come to think of it, this is 3 consenting adults out of public view, what's the issue? Oh, finally 'I found this wrap of cocaine'...sure you did, that's the old tried and American way of ensuring that the 'perps' get done

1. laird cummings

Easy: All they have to do is whip out the badge and identify themselves as police; they're instantly 'offical' again.

There might be some question as to whether or not they can be paid for bouncing duties once acting in the official role, I suppose, but no one has really bothered about that.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If the report is accurate they should throw the book at the police. Off duty they have no more rights than anyone else paticularily when 'responding' to a non-crime.

It would seem a strong case can be made for assault, kidnap, false imprisonment and possibly corruption. The only thing the couple concerned seem to have done which is in anyway illegal is possession of druges but given the behaviour of the police involved and theiir behaviour how confident can anyone be it was not planted.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Man oh man are YOU stupid.

2. laird cummings
      FAIL

> It would seem a strong case can be made for assault, kidnap, false imprisonment and possibly corruption <

Oh, boy, would the prosecuter & judge love to have you show up in this case! The laughter would surely be heard for miles, and everyone would be so entertained that they might even forget to fling you out of court!

23. JC 2

Off Duty?

Seems as though an off duty officer ought not to have the right to search someone's belongings to find the cocaine. What do you want to bet the two will be let off with a hand slapping or minor fine if not the entire thing thrown out of court?

Granted, their lawyer fees will probably cost 20X more than it would most of us to just plead guilty and pay the fine.

1. Turtle

What needs to be understood. . .

What you and some other ignorant people on this thread do not seem to understand, is that a police officer is *always* a police officer, on duty or off, and is required to *always* act like a police officer, and *always* has those powers that are vested in him by virtue of his being a police officer. Or else why else do you think clubs such as this hire police officers in the first place?

24. Ascylto
    Big Brother

Actually, she looks as though she should be in one of their shops ... as a Halloween gift!

25. darklord
    Pint

I am guessing the removal of there OBE will be forth coming. hope it was worth it and boy shed have to pay me, shes looks rough.

But then i wouldnt by her overpriced alibaba sourced trash thats what 14 year olds do.

1. Miss Lincolnshire
      Paris Hilton

Unlikely

Sarah Young was a rather athletic 80's "starlet" in Germany. Or so I was told.........

Her dad had an MBE for Industrial services. He never handed that back

2. laird cummings

> I am guessing the removal of there OBE will be forth coming. <

More likely, he'll simply be struck from the Queen's holiday greetings list & social calendar.

26. MJI Silver badge

Mr Floppy?

If he needs another bloke.

27. Babai
    Devil

So Cuckold Dreams are real ?!?

NT

28. Slabfondler
    Holmes

They could be innocent!

Perhaps they were playing some three handed bridge?

29. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Happy

This is a very regretable incident

Sadly it's also pretty damm funny.

This topic is closed for new posts.