back to article NZ ISP piracy law kicks in

New Zealand’s first crop of internet content stealers will soon receive copyright infringement notices under the recently introduced ‘Skynet’ law. Around 75 internet users have been issued notices by their ISPs for illegal downloads. It is understood that the bulk of the piracy infringements were detected by the Recording …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And the proof is?

I completely agree with this, as long as there is clear and overwhelming proof that the defendants did illegally download said tracks. IP addresses are not, and can not be proof. I am sure that there is substantial proof, and that the RIANZ will provide said proof in due course.

Anon for no particularly good reason.

1. Stu 18
      Thumb Down

Please provide justification for your contention. As the ISP sets the IP address and knows the MAC address and username of the users connection, I should think reasonable proof as fairly easy to establish.

1. clanger9

Umm, no. That only tells you whose connection was used to do the downloading. It tell you nothing about which person actually did did the downloading.

Think shared connections/multi-user households/insecure base stations/IP spoofing/etc.

IP address logs are an indicator of who may be at fault, but are certainly not proof.

2. Richard Freeman
    Terminator

Skynet?

Skynet popping up again?

I think Skynet has decided it can wreak more damage on mankind through copyright laws than by building terminators....

1. FozzyBear
      Terminator

Yep the good thing is though

They are more easily recognisable then the arnie-bots. No plasma rifle in the 40 watt range just a couple volumes of the local copyright laws they all wear suits and ties and have the unmistakable reek of a music executive or a lawyer.

3. Jonski
    Trollface

Guilty of bad taste, at least.

Look, if you're gonna download Rihanna or Lady Gaga you're gonna get what's coming to you.

4. Ray Simard
    FAIL

A couple of red flags

"RIANZ (which) directed the relevant ISPs to send notices to the offending customers."

"Telecom New Zealand confirmed it received notices from RIANZ to issue copyright infringement notices to 42 customers, while ISP Orcon also confirmed that it has been instructed to do the same."

If I'm reading this right, there are three, or at least two, instances here of a private, self-interested industry organization exerting what amounts to police power on ISPs. I am not at all comfortable with terms like "directed" and "instructed" in these cases.

Maybe I'm splitting semantic hairs here, or misreading this altogether, but I don't think so. If these were requests, then fine; the ISP can use the requests as a heads-up for instances of piracy on their networks. But "directed" and "instructed" read like imperatives, compelling the ISPs' actions, probably with time limits on compliance which would deny the ISPs the discretion as to when to investigate them, possibly resulting in acting on inadequately-researched claims if the ISP at the time was busy with other concerns. Compensated or not, ISPs are not the subordinates of the entertainment industry. When did RIANZ become a law-enforcement agency?

5. P Zero
    FAIL

So if you pirate the right things (Anything not released recently or tied to a continuing franchise, I suppose), you may never get caught?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How

What I really want to know is how are they detecting these downloads?

Are they illegally or legally intercepting and watching packets?

Are they running a sting operation?

How can they be doing this?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Herpes?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Rihanna & Lady Gaga...

So, two of the more successful mainstream pop artists right now are also two of the most downloaded?

Hmm...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Munted!

I best get back to my wee Lud Zuppein download.

10. Anonymous Coward 15
    Pirate

A fragrant disregard?

Piracy. It stinks.

1. Anonymous Coward 15

OK, maybe I should have used a Joke Alert here.

Did the downvoters not get it? The correct phrase is "a flagrant disregard". Not "fragrant", which is to do with smell.

1. br0die

I would have used "it smells" rather than "it stinks". Fragrance usually suggests a pleasant smell. But yes, methinks there were some "woosh"'es.

11. Killraven
    FAIL

More of the standard slander...

Yet another Reg article focused on making jokes about the musical tastes of other people and the utter disregard of years worth of studies (those not funded by the various *IAAs anyhow) that show time and again that the most flagrant downloaders are also the group that spends the most money on musicians (betwixt physical media, downloaded media, concerts, etc).

Freetard, freetard, freetard.... fail.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like