back to article Seagate flings twirling terabyte platters at world

All change on the Barracuda front: despite the disastrous floods in Thailand, Seagate will ship its terabyte-per-platter Barracuda desktop drives this month. At the same time it's phasing out its slower rotating Barracuda Green drives and says it will transition the Barracuda XT to hybrid flash and hard disk technology. Back …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wot no...

...play on Barracuda being a fish?

2. tmTM

Prices?

Currently 1TB drives are going for around £100, so Seagate are going to put their drive on sale at half that?

I doubt it.

1. PAW

US prices

Quality 1TB drives sell for 50 GBP ($80) in the US. I've seen them as low as 25 GBP

1. jason 7
        Meh

Look again.

Not for long they wont be.

2. jason 7
      Stop

Yeah price hikes.

Really bad. Was going to build a 8TB data storage setup for a customer but have advised him to wait.

Building on a flood plain...at least build the factory on stilts!

3. Dr. Mouse

I was about to reply telling you that you are wrong, but I just checked...

Blimey! 1TB HDDs could be had for sub-£50 not long ago, 2TB for £70ish, what the hell's going on?!?!

3. Captain Scarlet Silver badge
    Megaphone

Barracuda XT Hybrid

Come on Seagate Gimme, don't want a laptop drive in my desktop machine and as I am lazy don't want two drives for stuff.

4. defiler

Makes sense

Push out the big, cheap drives when prices are high, and your competitors are waterlogged. Interested to see what the power requirements are. I have a dud drive in my home array and I've been looking at the WD Caviar Green to replace it. Save a few Watts here and there...

5. Richard Boyce
    Meh

Wait a while

When it comes to data security, sometimes it doesn't pay to be on the bleeding edge. Probably best to wait a few months before buying the higher density platters.

1. Ammaross Danan
      Coat

Seagate rep

It's a Seagate drive. That should have been warning enough.

6. Nick L

Puns, jokes, gags and plays on words.

A new high water mark? oh, very droll: I see what you did there...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

HDD capacities disappear over the horizon...

How long will we be constrained by utterly outdated partitioning restrictions?

Or has the [PC] world moved on, and nobody told me? It happens....

1. Ammaross Danan
      Coat

GPT and UEFI

That is all.

8. dssf

Puns?

Seagate, flooded behind the locks?

9. Framitz
    Flame

Hang in there

Seagate is crap, but the competition is needed to keep WD stimulated.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like