back to article AMD beats analysts' bets with profitable quarter

AMD beat the Street when reporting its financial results for the third quarter of 2011, with earnings per share of 13¢ on revenues of $1.69bn. According to Thompson Reuters, the consensus of 29 professional analysts was that AMD would report earnings per share of 10¢ on revenues of $1.65bn. "Strong adoption of AMD APUs drove …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The good news is demand is high

The good news is that demand for Llano, BD based Opterons and the FX series is high. Trinity is only a couple months off which will boost Llano performance 20-30% so that should be great for notebooks. Piledriver will also show in '12 so AMD has some good products in the pipeline which I'm waiting on. These should all boost AMD's revenu and profits IMO.

2. mhenriday
    Pint

Let us hope that Piledriver

will not be the disappointment that Bulldozer has hitherto shown itself to be. We - users - desperately need effective competition in the chip market....

Henri

3. airbrush
    Thumb Up

Real Competition

Their budget Llano laptop chips beat intel hands down at gaming, its only once you get to discrete graphics that they can compete (even with i7's). Looking at pc pro's A list for budget laptops and they're still recommending an i3 rather than an A6 and A8 Llano laptop.

1. kb
      Thumb Up

Their Brazos chips are also awesome for netbooks, I have one (E-350) and can watch 3 HD movies before needing a charge and that is from a 6 cell unit that weighs just 3 pounds and only cost me $350 USD maxed out with 8Gb of RAM!

I think AMD should concentrate more on the mobile side as ATM when power is no consideration the Intel chips can just OC too high compared to AMD. But with Brazos for the netbooks,Llano for the laptops and maybe Phenom II Mobile for the desktop replacements (my nephew has one in his 17 incher and loves it) I think they have a winning hand here. Frankly I couldn't care less if it beats a Core whatever, what matters to me is a combination of price and usability and for me AMD wins hands down using that metric,my EEE is snappy, multitasks well, gives me a great picture, and I couldn't find anything that would hold plenty of RAM anywhere close to that price, go AMD!

4. Robert E A Harvey

I just wish they could explain their products on their web site. I can't find a simple tabulation of what the different processors available are.

All I can find are a page-per-product with things like "Edit really big movies!"

Back in the 80s I could get copies of the data sheets for things like CPUs and make informed decisions. Now I appear to be a moron.

1. airbrush

Benchmarks not clock speed

Better to go for a dedicated hardware site such as toms hardware as clock speeds etc. aren't really that helpful any more. They have tables of all the popular processors along with benchmarks as well as recommendations by budget.

1. Robert E A Harvey

Yes, and There are relatively simple tabulations on wikilies too.

But surely I should be able to go to a chip makers wibble & find out what they make? what the architectures are? the instruction set & extensions? the interfaces, the memory types supported?

Not be subjected to hand waving & smoke and mirrors condescension?

5. Chris 228

Piledriver could show a 20% increase

http://techreport.com/articles.x/21865

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like