back to article Avira anti-virus labels itself as spyware

Avira anti-virus detected components of its own application as potentially malign on Wednesday following a dodgy signature update. Avira detected its own AESCRIPT.DLL library file as the previously obscure "TR/Spy.463227" strain of malware. The dodgy AntiVir virus definition file was quickly pulled and replaced with a new …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. DavCrav
    FAIL

First they came for the applications, and I didn't speak out.

Then they came for the Windows file, and I didn't speak out.

Then they came for themselves, and I didn't have a fucking clue what was going on.

1. Shakje

This is probably the best use of this quote ever.

2. MrT
    Coat

Plugging things into an unprotected port...?

Avira Immunisation Deficiency Syndrome...

Etc

3. Olafthemighty
    Thumb Up

May I be the 27th person to say

<nelson muntz> Ha ha! <\nelson muntz>

4. Majid

Best anti virus fail ever.

If you are too lazy to test your virus definition files against your own binaries, then that probably says enough about testing it against other non-malware like operating system files, and other innocent victims of your anti-virus products appetite for destruction.

5. WonkoTheSane
    FAIL

Divide by zero?

nothing to see here, move along.

6. Tom 35

CA had similar problems

CA antivirus is something that should be removed...

7. Darryl

So I'm assuming that they must've rolled this update out without testing it at all. If they had, it would have been obvious that there was a problem.

Really makes you want to put your trust in this company, doesn't it?

8. Phalamir
    WTF?

New Ad slogan

"Buy Avira - we're so paranoid, we don't even trust ourselves!"

1. James O'Brien
      Coffee/keyboard

ROFL

You owe me a keyboard. I lost myself laughing at that 'slogan'

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Unknown Pythagorean Theorem

The self righteous run with ever increasing speed in ever decreasing concentric circles until they finally disappear up their own arseholes.

1. Scorchio!!

Re: The Unknown Pythagorean Theorem

"The self righteous run with ever increasing speed in ever decreasing concentric circles until they finally disappear up their own arseholes."

It reminds me of the things that double jointed people can do to entertain themselves.

2. Dr Insanity
      Headmaster

How can they be decreasing if they are concentric?

...</nerd>

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

How can they be decreasing if they are concentric?

Pythagorus could tell you the secret, but then he'd have to kill you to keep it secret.

3. BillG
      FAIL

Self Righteous

Self-righteous is right. Avira support people are completely arrogant. Prove them wrong and they claim you don't understand.

BTW, when I clicked on the link for the Avira support forum the Avira website gave me a horrid PHP error "Fatal error: PHP warning in file"

10. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

There's always the distinct possibility...

that their software does contain a spyware component... who really knows? On Google you'll find at least one instance some time ago where AVG would flag the same Avira aescrypt.dll file as spyware lolll. It's interesting to imagine what in that file triggers such behavior...

Maybe AV makers should release the source code of their free products.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lupus

That is all

1. Thecowking

It's never lupus!

12. TeeCee Gold badge
    Happy

I, for one.....

......welcome Avira's practical demonstration of how to disappear up your own arse.

13. Keris

Windows does it as well

The best Windows BSoD I had was one which told me that Windows was shutting down to protect me from dangerous software. The software in question, it told me, was EXPLORER.EXE, a rather major part of Windows itself. Yes, Windows told me that it itself was a danger. The only true thing MS has ever said...

14. Tom 13

Is there a Darwin Award equivalent

for AV vendors?

15. mhenriday
    Pint

... 'tis the sport to have the enginer

Hoist with his own petar ...

Henri

16. Stutter

Still, ...

... at least it's not Windows Defender.

17. Xin Eoph
    Linux

Use Linux.

Relevant: http://xkcd.com/272/

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How many of you pay for Avira?

Although I'm tempted to share the general cynicism I think its not that black/white. Is it a blunder? Absolutely. And despite the subject I'm not claiming that they don't need to do any tests because its free or something.

But still; I'd rather have a virus scanner which also actively scans itself and has false positives than one which doesn't even bother (keeps its own location as white listed) and actually risks infections (sure; there are self diagnostics, but still...).

Its a risk you have with virus scanners. Some nuked Windows, some do other crazy stuff. Its why its important that you don't blindly use your scanner and consider yourself 'safe'. You should beware what your scanner does and make sure that in case of doubt you'll be the one calling the shots.

1. Stacy
      Unhappy

I do...

I used to think Avira was great (hence getting the paid for version), but the new release has caused so many headaches and false positives that when the license runs out I'll do the same as my new machines - just use Windows own AV...

2. Dr Insanity

"You should beware what your scanner does and make sure that in case of doubt you'll be the one calling the shots."

If only more people had this sort of thinking, there'd be less stories of motorists finding themselves stuck in a canal after following a satnav.... Why is it that Common Sense, much like Common Courtesy, is now an oxymoron

19. Martin McNulty
    WTF?

What?

An antivirus story without a quotation from Mr Cluley?

This topic is closed for new posts.