back to article Nokia launches Windows Phone range

Nokia officially launched its Windows Phone range today, kicking the line off with the Nokia Lumia 800, the device we've previously known as Sea Ray. Nokia Lumia 800 In his Keynote speech at Nokia World 2011, company CEO Stephen Elop introduced the handset as "the first real Windows Phone", a bold statement if ever we heard …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dinky Carter

Nokia Drive...

... sounds exactly like the excellent Ovi Maps, which has been available on Nokia Symbian phones for years. Only this time, Nokia are actually telling people about it.

1. Robredz

If Nokia had anything about them they would market apps for Ovi Maps on other platforms, it bests most of what else is out there, now if only it would work on Web Os

2. Code Monkey
    Windows

Well..

... the blue one's pretty

3. cocknee
    Pirate

once more

Once more unto the breach dear friends, once more;

or fill the shops with our Symbian dead

4. Giles Jones Gold badge

Looks like they've actually tried hard to design some nice looking phones and it shows. If only HTC and others employed some decent phone designers, their handsets look awful.

5. Shaun 1

The 800 looks quite good

But I'm waiting for them to announce the 900 (Ace), as that looks great!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Looks great

Nice job MS/Nokia! Didn't have much hope but it seems you're pulling it off well.

Can't wait for the mobile industry to cut off the malignant tumour that is Android so we can go back to the old days of it being Apple vs Microsoft, and let the Chocolate Factory worry about their core business more instead of trying to take over the world.

Not too long now...

7. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Nokia Smartphones?

Bahhhahahhaaa, don't make me laugh...

The only market left for Nokia are £20 entry levels and feature phones.

Teaming up with a no-hope OS like Windows Mobile, with a proven track record of failure is simply nuts...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Ooh look!

It's Barry Shitpeas and he isn't slagging off Windows phones again. Oh, hang on, yes he is, it's business as usual.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

His writing style is identical to that of the commentard once-called SteveBalmer (now oddly absent) who once managed to blame Microsoft for a fire in a Sony warehouse during the London riots.

Do you suppose they are related?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I'd heard

I'd heard that the fire was actually started by Steve Balmer himself, who was in league with the illuminati and the lizard people. They in turn are working with the reverse vampires, who got the commentator SteveBalmer and had him rendered to gitmo because he'd stumbled on the truth that MS are setting up the new world order.

It is, it's true.

8. 5.antiago

Well...

...They don't look too bad, hey?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Batteries...

Looking through the specs, we see that the 800 has a larger battery but worse expected battery life. Given the commonality of the hardware, why would we see this?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

Sounds wonderfully meh

Despite them claiming to include lots of Nokia-only features, everything I see there just looks boring, done to death and, of course, already on the market. So please, would someone enlighten us as to why this is the "first" Windows Phone? Looks just like all the other Windows Phones to me.

11. ElGrandoZingy

Lovely but...

It needs a bigger screen. Its the same size as the N8 which fine for most tasks but the on screen keyboard is a little cramped, still this may be better on Win Phone 7.5 compared to Symbian 3?

12. tmTM

Kind of reminds me

of the obelisk at the start of 2001 space odyssey.

Very pretty looking phones tho, interested in a full review of them all to see how they stack up against competition, both from other platforms and other winmo manufacturers.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ooh...

That lumia 800 is a smart looking phone. I may have found an upgrade from my HTC trophy.

14. dotdavid
    WTF?

Bargain

"The Lumia 800 is shipping immediately, with the 710 following closely behind. Nokia set pricing at €420 (£365) for the Lumia 800..."

"Pay as you go versions are available for £450. "

So you can either have an unlocked version for £365, or a locked one for £450? Shurely shome mishtake?

1. Tony Smith, Editor, Reg Hardware (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Bargain

There are no UK Sim-free prices (yet). That figure is the Euro conversion (hence the brackets).

15. TonyHoyle

Pay and go more than sim free?

That can't be right surely.. everyone will just get sim free and stick a payg sim in it.

16. Jim Coleman
    Thumb Up

OMG

That Lumia 800 looks pretty darned sweet, but I might wait for the 900 next year which will be the top-of-the-range handset.

17. teapot9999
    Thumb Down

Meh

Nokia phones - yawn

Windows Mobile - yawn

Nokia WIndows phone - double yawn

18. Amraj
    Thumb Up

The Blue one reminds me alot of Sonic.

19. David Austin

Meh

Who Cares, really?

In my mind, Nokia is a spent force, and are no longer relevant.

If it wasn't for HP trying to self-destruct through most of the summer, I'd have said the way Nokia handled all of this is my nomination for corporate suicide of the year.

It's going to take a heck of a lot for them to make me care again, and something that looks like a re-jigged iPod Mini running a commodity OS ain't gonna cut it. I'm willing to bet my view isn't unique.

20. slith
    Happy

Lumia?

I hope Nokia Spain realises that 'lumia' means prostitute in Spanish.

Although considering that Nokia has let M$ software to run free on their hardware... it couldn't be more appropriate! :D

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Interesting

I got to hold and play briefly with an N9 prototype a little while back.

The phone itself was solid and was well made. It was also very responsive.

Don't know what will happen with the Microsoft OS. Will have to wait for the reviews to see...

I like the maps, (Navteq) and the free music stations.

Still its something worth checking out.

Looks like a phone that can actually last through a 2 year contract.

22. Turtle_Fan

Howzzat?

€420 taking a ferry across the channel and hey presto they become £450!?

There's me thinking the pound was stronger than the euro....

23. Putonghua73

Nokia handset builds / design

I must 'fess up that despite hating S60 (or rather the abysmal UI), I was a loyal Nokia owner until I ditched the E71 for an iPhone (now HTC Desire).

As many have stated before, handset build / design usually wonderful - although there have been a few howlers (one of which I owned) - and you could always count on Nokia for battery life and build quality. Shame about Ovi.

The HTC Desire is a solid smart-phone (especially the contract deals, giving the phone free for a relatively cheap tariff - very good VFM on TCO [Total Cost of Ownership]) but battery life and call quality leave a lot to be desired. Also, I've never got the hang of an almost fully touch-screen smart-phone.

I also have to 'fess that I'd actually like to Mango, and am I the only one to love the designs for the Lumias? The electric blue is an arresting colour - but I prefer the simplicity of the chrome finish and rounded corners on the Lumia 710. Not to mention the price differential (is the AMOLED screen and camera worth that differential?).

I still have a year to go on my contract so perhaps I'll have a play in the Nokia store and see what I think of Mango.

Personally, since I have an iPad2, I'd rather downgrade altogether to a 6310i - if they were still being sold at a reasonable price.

1. Shaun 1

"is the AMOLED screen and camera worth that differential?"

Iaving compared the HTC Titan with my Omnia 7, I would have to say it quite possibly is worth the bump in price.

I liked the look of the Titan's big screen, but I've been spoiled by the crispness and contrast of the Super AMOLED

24. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

re Bargain

The prices Nokia quotes are RRP pre sales tax (20% in UK) or operator subsidy.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wonderful!

Can't wait till cyanogen mod is available on these!

26. Little Poppet
    Thumb Up

Lumia 800/N9

I've always loved the hardware design for this phone (when the N9 came out) - Good to see it's almost exactly the same as the N9 - Although the Lumia 800 appears to have an extra metal button on the side. What's this for?

27. John Burton

Interesting...

What's most interesting is that despite being entirely happy with my HTC Desire I actually find myself wanting one of these :)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like