back to article Survey: Future IT guys will 'crowd-source' to fix stuff

Dell and Intel expect that crowd-sourcing will be a challenge that IT managers and chief information officers will have to meet in the next 10 to 15 years. Businesses will want to do it, and IT managers will have to work out how deliver it, they predict in a survey about IT in the workplace commissioned from research group TMS …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Like the A-Team but with IT....

Why oh why did the IT Crowd guy stop writing, so much new material. Jen sitting alone at her desk, pictures of the others next to a windows machine and the blue screen of death. Hunting for her little black book to find the phone number of someone qualified to tell the irate user on the phone to tell them to turn it off and on again.

2. Sir Runcible Spoon

Sir

and in other news..."The 'Cloud" isn't all it's cracked up to be in the shiny magazines that get given to pointy haired bosses.

3. Matt 21

Want

I don't think people do want this. It seems like more of an advert saying 'look how trendy and cool we are'.

People do want cheap, quick and low risk. If you tell them this idea does that then they will want this idea. It doesn't mean the idea works though!

4. Ian Ferguson
    Thumb Down

"They're not exactly sure how to do it, but they want it."

Let me translate:

"86% of bored managers filling out the survey saw a buzzword they recognised and clicked it, knowing that clouds are in this year, and felt really important and knowledgable as a result."

5. jake Silver badge

So let me get this straight ...

To paraphrase, "All me mates think it's true, so it must be true ... we read it on TehIntraWebTubes!".

I'm looking forward to picking up the pieces, should help fund my retirement.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Huh?

Aren't they called "outside contractors"?

7. FIA Silver badge

Hmm

Surely in the film world the product is fairly transient, but the skills needed aren't. How does this transfer to other business areas?

Will bob really have a large pool of experience to source from in his specific business area, or will experience and time breed the niche skills like they do now?

1. Mark 65

Movies don't need after sales support and service either.

8. Jess
    WTF?

Someone obviously has no idea how incredibly inefficient the movie industry is.

I can't see anyone who has experience of it, using it as a role model.

9. This post has been deleted by its author

10. Arctic fox
    Thumb Down

Lovely, just what we all want.

All right, temporary contracts all round, no chance of a permanent job - yeah, way to go. This is just another employer-responsibility-avoidance model. Let's keep the prols hungry, frightened and above all obedient. If I have misunderstood this (which is quite possible) I would be delighted if someone would explain why my cynical response is mistaken.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

Cynical Response Mistaken?

Nope, you're not mistaken. Definitely an employer-responsibility-avoidance model. Contractors will be smiling, of course, but it's a final nail in the coffin for permies. Any company that goes for this approach will, unless it thinks seriously long and hard about how it is going to do it, find that at the end of the job it has exactly nothing left in terms of intellectual capital (all the knowledge is only transiently available from the contractors).

The popularity of this idea is symptomatic of companies losing the will/ability to properly develop systems and their staff, and I've yet to see a case where it has actually worked.

I forsee yet more serious and expensive cock-ups in the future.

2. Ian Michael Gumby
      Devil

@Arctic Fox... either you or I is mistaken...

My take was that they would want to hire less experienced staff and then use crowd sourcing the answers on the web as a way to handle the heavy lifting.

That's going to drive down the use of outside contractors because some maroon will think that they can just google for an answer, or post a question to a board and expect to get a serious answer quickly.

Their misguided thoughts are due to seeing people like us answering some simple questions that have a high 'Doh!' factor. Like someone who should know the answer but couldn't come up with it. Or its a newbie question and someone felt too kind to type RTFM in the response as not to discourage them...

Of course we're talking about the same dimwits who thing a programmer is a programmer, regardless of experience and training, and went to the offshoring model to save money.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This ain't never going to work - the companys would spend more time writing standards and documentation that actually going the work themselves.

In addition they would need people to review the code once completed, there is FAR too much overhead for this, in a real world software project. it might work for the cheaper IT stuff much like ofshoring only really works for menial and simple tasks.

1. vic 4
      Unhappy

code review is an overhead?

> In addition they would need people to review the code once completed, there is FAR too much overhead for this, in a real world software project

Are you suggesting code reviews are a waste of time? Automated unit tests and peer review are the two most crucial (in my eyes) 'overheads' for any software development.

12. Ian Michael Gumby
    FAIL

Crowd Sourcing won't work...

Ok...

If you have a question ... you just google the net for it.

If you want a good answer, you have to sift through that information and figure out how accurate and reliable is the post.

Also depending on the question, you may or may not even get an answer.

You want to try to crowd source... just hang out on some of the technical forums on LinkedIn. Ask a question and see how long it takes to get an answer.

13. DJ Smiley
    Facepalm

That works because you make a film and your done...

But with IT? Your never done.

You could even argue this already happens in large infrastructure changes such as SAP - a "team" comes in. Changes stuff up abit, breaks things, tells your manager everything you ever did was wrong and "bad for business". Eventually they leave, 6 months late and waaaaaaay over budget.

Next day the boss realists he actually liked the old way things worked, and your the only one they still employ because you offer "support". Time to fix everything and secure your job for the next "big thing"

14. Kevin Johnston

Furthermore

What do you do a year down the line when the Auditor wants to know who worked on which item? Ask them to wait while you email the world (assuming the world has the same email address still)?

This starts as a silly 'puff-piece' and goes downhill from there, rapidly...

15. All names Taken
    Paris Hilton

True, true

But where is the influence of "mediocrity" coming from?

Why would any professional wish to provide any service or solution that short changed the customer?

Oh, I see ...

16. James Gosling

It's a rap...

Does these mean we'll all be replaced with CGI and blue-screen technology? Surely each computer screen just needs a load of unintelligable computer gobble-de-gook scrolling down the screen (as in most movies).

It's a bit like getting a machine that goes BEEP for an operating theatre, you just gotta have one! The management expect it!

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

BTDT

Relax everyone. Future business guys will think of crowd-sourcing the way current business guys think of access databases ... a way to bypass the IT guys. When (not if) it fails, the future business guys will do what current business guys do, which is to ask their IT guys for help. Future IT guys will do exactly what current IT guys do, which is come up with a proper design and then outsource the development and risk to an SI.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You know how much it costs to make a movie these days?

The Crowd Sourcing model is part of the reason

19. Marc Davies
    Childcatcher

Elementary, my Dear Tech-Folk...

Given the tendency for companies to chase cost-reduction, I'm certain this "appealing future" will take place. Having said that And now I think about it, most major IT Services companies 'flow' their teams together in an ad-hoc manner that closely resembles Crowd-Sourcing anyway...

...and when the A-team finishes up, it's always left to some overworked bugger on the coal face (who is already booking 120% of their time) to pick up the pieces.

The downside (did I mention an upside? No? Ah, well that because there probably isn't one) in the IT Services world is that it always makes any change horribly expensive, as flexible teams need to carry their fully-loaded costs with them, wherever they go.

Wait a minute, isn't that how Hollywood works? Eureka!

20. arrbee

sounds like government IT

Isn't this the approach used for most government IT projects run by the favoured corporates ?

Couple of directly employed consultants and the rest are contractors moved in and out depending on the profit margin per body (err, I mean depending on the project requirements).

21. Eduard Coli
    Trollface

A turd by another name

This is another outsourcing fantasy.

You know the one, where outsourcing actually works and the client does not get screwed by the overages and the system actually does what it says on the can without constantly falling down.

22. Melanie Winiger

Programming is not Film Making

NFT.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like