back to article Tosh Thai hard drive plant swamped

Toshiba is facing a long-term shutdown of its Thai disk drive plant due to more than a metre of water in the factory. The waterlogged fab is in the Navanakorn Industrial Estate Zone, next door to a flooded Western Digital plant. Toshiba said the depth of water has damaged machinery in the assembly line. It is working to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. cloudgazer

Apple must be trying very hard not to cackle with glee. Their best selling models already utilize SSDs, and their prices are high enough on the Pro range that the increase in component prices won't make much difference.

2. richard 7
    Thumb Down

Not funny in the least,

Went to arrange for a restock of HDs this morning, noticed one of my suppliers (notorious for website issues) was showing with 1, yes 1, 160Gb 2.5" SATA drive in stock, a call to confirm that someone had broken the website again rewarded me with the news that hard drive production as all but stopped. In fact it seems that some of the big players are now stockpiling too.

Might be nice to have El Reg do a nice report on this as it seems its going to be a very big problem very quickly.

3. Clyde

A problem already

Seems all the disties in the UK for us "small" IT businesses, have already pulled whatever stocks they have off their websites. None available from the likes of Ingram Micro at all. So much for customer loyalty - deny supply without any warning.

1. richard 7

Target, Ebuyer and Aria are the same. Novatech have SOME drives but are selling through fast.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yeah, not very happy with Ingram at the mo, although thankfully we noticed on Thursday and had time to get some stock elsewhere. I'm not putting any business through them that I don't absolutely have to for the moment.

Watch out for btbusinessdirect/dabs if you get discount pricing from them. Our account still shows the old pricing on the product page and in the cart. Then automagically swaps to the new during checkout...

If you see a colossal amount given in the "your customer discount has saved you blah" section, be careful what you are actually paying for!

4. David_H
    FAIL

Obvious question

They knew the water was coming - why did they not just brick up all the orifices in the factory walls and stop the water coming in?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like