back to article Tweens would miss web and mobes more than TV

For the first time ever, 12- to 15-year-olds in the UK would miss their mobile and the internet more than they would miss watching the telly. More than a quarter of the tween bracket would miss their mobile most (28 per cent), while 25 per cent would miss the web and 18 per cent listed TV, according to an Ofcom survey. The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Pete 2 Silver badge

Not just children

I'd never move to a location that didn't have an internet service (mobile signal? Hmmm, that's a tricky one), but I'd move to a TV dead zone in an instance - and save the licence fee into the bargain.

2. sebacoustic
    Facepalm

wev tv

1) I have a 14yr old daughter

2) We have no TV

3) she likes Glee & shite like that

4) I got this month's ISP message "You have used up 80% of your 40GB quota"

after 10 days this month

Are those facts by any chance related?

1. Tim Greenwood

32GB in 10 days ?!

I have 3 teenage children and have had to upgrade twice this year from the original 40GB a month, firstly to 80Gb then when use peaked at 120GB I had to pay even more. I turn the router off when I go to bed just to make sure no-one tries downloading big files overnight and have deleted file sharing programs off their devices to stop them watching pirated films etc.

I think it's the fact that all 3 catch up on the same TV shows at different times so quite often the same show will be streamed 3 times in the space of a couple of days.

Pah! in my day we had to make do wit........ (walks off muttering to himself).

1. Hatless Pemberty
        Pirate

"I turn the router off when I go to bed just to make sure no-one tries downloading big files overnight and have deleted file sharing programs off their devices to stop them watching pirated films etc."

Good luck with that.

On the other hand I'm gonna guess you can probably avoid the awkward talk about the bees and the flowers.

How times change.

2. Liam 4
      WTF?

What god awful ISP are you using? I can use 40GB in a day never mind a month.

1. Jon B
        Holmes

It's called Australia

Or worse still, New Zealand..

3. sisk

Me to

TV? Meh. I only use it as something to hook my consoles up to.

Internet? Don't you dare lay a finger on my $80/month pipe.

Moble? Before I had an Android I'd have said to take it, please. Now you're liable to loose a finger trying to take it away from me.

4. lurker

So would I, and I'm late 30's. There's a few hours of programmes I watch a week (on iPlayer) that I'd miss, but if I had to choose between the intertubes and TV, then bye-bye gogglebox, it's not even close.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I stopped watching TV years ago..

Its full of rubbish from what I've seen in occasional glimpses. The internet pisses on TV, its no contest at all.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Wild guess...

They watch Telly by peering through the next door neighbours window wearing infradead goggles, size 42 welding gloves and yodelling justin bieber songs backwards?

That was pretty wild as far as guesses go.

7. SirDigalot

"A third of 8-to-15s who were on a social network said they were most concerned about the possibility of getting bullied online or that strangers could find things out about them."...

having been through some ridiculous homework with the kid that she got from her computer class in high school, apparently being bullied now consists of typing in their general direction, basically if you say anything but "hi" "hows the weather?" you are labeled a cyber bully, she had this questionaire that was sent home for the class, and basically all the answers i gave made me a cyber bully, they were generally phrased "have you EVER..." well of course i bloody have, if it takes you 20 minutes to get online (and stay on) back in the day you were not going to waste it by being nice were you! sheesh! I pointed out in the end, that much like a TV if you do not like what you are seeing....turn it off, they are not forced to go to social networking sites, or youtube or whatever the latest fad is these days, they do it by choice, and, quite often these days i choose to filter those sites for her because the drama is too much, your a kid fer christs sake, go out and squash insects or fight in the playground or something!

8. Winkypop Silver badge
    Big Brother

TeeVee....?

....is that what that thing in the corner is?

9. chezzbian

c4orlton

I wouldn't be too impressed by growth from 87% to 91%.

10. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
    Flame

Explains

why I cant get them off the damn things when they get a job aged 16.

"Oi....if you're looking at facebook again instead of working, you'll be logging on at the dole office!"

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like