back to article What flash needs is a little TLC

The breakthrough when flash becomes affordable is thought by many people to be TLC (triple-level cell) – 3-bit multi-level cell NAND – which adds a third more capacity to flash cells. But how far are we with TLC implementation, and when will we see it in mainstream IT? According to Jim Handy of Objective Analysis, SanDisk is …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jake Silver badge

Oh. That Flash.

Might become useful, eventually. Unlike the other Flash ...

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Joke

Oh I dunno, the other Flash does a sterling job on the tiles in my bog[1].

Maybe you mean the other, other Flash?

[1] Top tip: Don't mix it with the Cillit stuff or you get an explosion and a bright light and then a SWAT team storms your house.

2. handle
    Stop

"which adds a third more capacity to flash cells"

No it doesn't. It adds a half more capacity. An increase from two to three is 50%, not 33.3%.

3. Steven Jones

A third more capacity?

"The breakthrough when flash becomes affordable is thought by many people to be TLC (triple-level cell) – 3-bit multi-level cell NAND – which adds a third more capacity to flash cells."

Wouldn't going from 2 to 3 bits per cell add a half, not a third more capacity?

4. JL1155

it's 3 bits per cell: eight levels

TLC flash stores three bits per cell, a trick which requires the hardware to reliably distinguish eight distinct levels of charge on the floating gate. Three times the capacity of SLC flash; 1.5 times the capacity of MLC.

5. Michael Habel
    FAIL

Bigger question...

when will we see Flash (NAND Flash), Storage at a level to match the capacities of bog-standard HDD's? I mean what's so great about NAND Flash HDD's with piddly amounts of capacity. I mean what are the up to these Days 320Gib? With a Price Tag that has like a 1 with 3 "0's" at the end of it. When you average run of the mill Magneto HDD has something approaching 3Tib and only costs round say €70.00(EUR), or so?

I mean really how can NAND Flash hope to survive this kind of disadvantage?

Surly not everyone has a very large IT Expense Account to though at these things much less find any justification for doing so?

So when do these nut jobs want us to ditch our beloved Patters for this Junk again?

1. handle

Chalk and cheese

You ignore hard disks' disadvantages of mechanical fragility, power consumption and seek times. There are far more differences between them than cost per byte! So of course it can and does compete. To pick one example, people who have replaced their laptop HDD with an SSD rave about the increase in performance, and 128GB is ample for an operating system, applications and data unless you need huge amounts of storage for video etc.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like