back to article Dell intros '14in screen, 13in body' notebook

Dell took the wraps of its compact, "14in display in a 13in body" Inspiron 14z notebook at the IFA consumer electronics show in September, but now it has formally launched the XPS 14z, a skinnier version. Dell XPS 14z 14in notebook Specs for the 23mm-thick, 2kg Dell XPS 14z are what you'd expect: second-gen Intel Core i5 and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Colour scheme

Black and silver? I thought that particular colour scheme was now the sole ownership of a highly defensive firm of lawyers..ahem, I mean computer manufacturer. It's also a sort of rectangle with some rounded corners and contains metal. Won't somebody think of the dubious IP infringement?

2. Ray 11
    Facepalm

Why no hi-res screen?

I have 1366 x 768 in my 10" netbook. I'd want 1600 x 900 as a minimum.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Come on, be reasonable, you wouldn't want them to have to actually spend money on the display would you?

They (in fact all manufacturers it seems) got a job lot of 1366 screens in various sizes, and now you get that or you get nowt. It's "high def" dontcha know?

2. Piro Silver badge

Agreed

Note to all manufacturers: stop making 1366x768 screens. Also, lets have a return to 16:10 ratios, damn it.

I guess it's hopeless now, though...

3. Owen Carter
    WTF?

So.THe great 'innovation' is??

After many, many years of shipping laptops with a huge borders and wasted space around the screen(*); some genius has finally thought of extending the display right to the edges of the available space.

It's only taken them what, 20 years, to do the bloody obvious. Am I supposed to feel admiration for this?

(*) I'm only really talking about the major manufacturers here; I'm sure someone has done this before but I've never seen it in a mainstream consumer product.

1. AdamWill

not particularly innovative

there've been other 'slim bezel' systems here and there over the years. it seems like it makes the systems more expensive and most buyers don't really care, though, so they're always rare.

sony's high end laptops tend to have quite small bezels, though not quite as tiny as this one. The bezel on my 2010 Vaio Z is only about 1cm. I'd like this thing if it wasn't for the silly resolution, as other commenters have noted.

4. Taemar
    Facepalm

Low res screen

Again. Come on, Dell, you can do better than this. My Vostro 1520 has a 1440x900 screen. The equivalent model has 1366x768 only. If Lenovo can offer better res screens, why can't Dell?

5. easytoby

That looks just like my old MacbookG4

I have an old MacBook G4, looks stunningly similar to this machine, right down to the vents on the side.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like