back to article Opscode makes Chef do Windows

Opscode, the commercial entity behind the open source Chef systems integration and management framework, is now doing Windows. And VMware supplied the Windex. Chef is popular among the open source crowd and is the brainchild of Christopher Brown, the chief technology officer at Opscode. Brown knows a thing or two about …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. T J
    Meh

Anyone ever heard of it - ever?

Anyone ever heard of this Chef thing? Ever?

1. Anton
      Coat

> Anyone ever heard of this Chef thing? Ever?

Are you serious? If so you must not be a Linux sysadmin. I think most Linux sysadmins have heard of Chef (though not necessarily used it).

Search the SF Bay Area Craig's List [1] for System Administrator jobs that ask for Chef or similar experience. There are 21 right now. For comparison 33 mention puppet (Chef's main competition), 47 apache, 46 bash, 21 iis, 14 hadoop, 11 sharepoint, and 9 powershell. So yeah, I've heard of it.

[1] http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sad/

2. James Le Cuirot
      Go

I like to cook

I certainly have. Setting up a new instance of our site was a scary, undocumented experience with very many pitfalls. I scripted out the whole thing with Chef and now it's a breeze, and a flexible one at that. Couldn't do without it. They can keep their Windows crap though. ;-)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sysadmins have...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like