back to article US radio evangelist: Apocalypse now

Reg readers are advised to get their earthly affairs in order today as the long-predicted Rapture should sweep the good sheep up to heaven sometime after lunch. The prediction is, of course, from Oakland-based radio evangelist Harold Camping, who nailed 21 October as Rapture day back in May. Camping marked his calendar just …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. JaitcH
    FAIL

American religious fruit and nutbars are stupid

Even though this aging engineer screwed up the maths and nothing happened, they still send the money.

This is one of the American religious outfits who rent airtime blasting their phony messages across to China and VietNam using 500,000 watt medium wave transmitters.

The joke is boh China and VietNam only have FM recovers, so all that RF energy is wasted.

Some engineer!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

At least the Heven's Gate bunch...

At least the Heaven's Gate bunch and the Jonestown bunch had the decency to remove themselves from this sinful world. This bunch just keeps sticking around, and keep re-checking their math like an innumerate attempting to balance his checkbook.

(icon for what I'd like to see happen to them - preferably whilst being picketed by the Westborough Baptist bunch.)

3. Peter Simpson 1
    Alert

End for him?

Camping's recovering from a stroke...another failure in prediction may send him to his maker

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ignore this guy

I'm glad no one is posting to this article. Shows me no one cares what this guy says anymore. I request the news media, especially El Reg, stop giving Mr. Camping any attention. Focus your articles on important events. Lindsay for example.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Life of Brian

What a load of

6. Mike Moyle

Hey... Where *IS* everyone...?

*sound of crickets*

7. Pigeon
    Pirate

I'll take the title option

I haven't been paying enough attention to this thrilling story, but I thought he died recently. Duh.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good gig

Just keep predicting the end of the world... eventually you'll be right.

In the meantime, no hellfire and destruction here (midwest US, about 18:00 UTC).

9. Daniel B.

Stupidlicious

Of course, anyone should see that this particular "doom day" must be out as the Christian counter to the Mayan 2012 "doom day". Hell, even the site had 2012 encircled by the "NO" symbol.

Of course, the only thing they are doing is either making an ass of themselves, or duping people into selling all their stuff and ending up broke because the world WON'T end.

10. jon 72
    Mushroom

Dear God

Will you hurry up and get the flock out of here?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Silly.

The Rapture happenned in 1348-1350, when between one and two thirds of the population were called to heaven and society was left largely in ruins until human resilience saw those of us who were left behind pick up and rebuild on what was left of the world.

12. jake Silver badge

Stop giving clowns like this any press.

HTH, HAND

EOF

1. Stoneshop
      WTF?

And deny me a source of amusement?

Also, do you think El Reg readers are of a disposition that publicity for this bunch of loonies would result in the merest positive result for them?

1. jake Silver badge

@Stoneshop

Amusing it might be ... but it's ThePress[tm] that gives these idiots a platform.

ElReg comentards are capable of all kinds of mental mismanagement ...

13. John Fielder
    Headmaster

It happened

The world did end on the 21st, but we were all too wrapped up in ourselves to have noticed.

14. FozzyBear
    Devil

Shit the world did end

Dante was wrong though; there is a 10th level of hell. I am sitting in my office cubicle and to my left there is an endless line of (L)users that I must now listen to. To my right, managers are queuing up to complain about their monthly sales figures and behind me are a bunch of marketing people who have now been made the system architects and designers dreaming up more and more ridiculous ideas to implement .

Yep Camping was right the rapture happened, or this could just be a typical fucking Monday morning, I can’t tell the difference.

15. Michael Dunn
    Coat

Haven't you lot any faith? It di happen.

Two sinless committed Christian elderly ladies in New Orleans have disappeared!

Unfortunately, it seems that Mr Camping and the rest of hi congregation, along with all the rest of us, did not meet the test, and is still here.

It's my white baptismal gown, but it didn't help me!

16. TeeCee Gold badge
    WTF?

Damn!

I was stuck in a training course last week and missed this completely 'til now.

Anyone know when the next one's due?

I'd also like to know where Mr Camping gets his bibles from. All the ones I've seen appear to be missing the bit where it says; "Raptures will be scheduled on an ad-hoc basis throughout the early part of the 21st Century. Exact numbers and timings to be dependant on demand."

17. pctechxp
    Coat

He's not the Messiah.....

.....he's a very stupid yank.

Another failed prediction then as I'm very definitely sat at my desk at work.

Mine's the one with a copy of the Life of Brian DVD in the pocket.

This topic is closed for new posts.