back to article NATO chief uses Facebook to proclaim end of Libyan ops

In an unusual step, NATO's Supreme Allied Commander Europe (SACEUR) has announced the end of operations in Libya via his Facebook page. Traditionally it has been the role of politicians to make statements announcing peace, but US Navy admiral James Stavridis has bucked tradition by posting the following message on his Facebook …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steen Hive
    Flame

A good day for NATO

Chalk that one down. The longest and most expensive assassination in history completed. More pork please!

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Mushroom

Yep, that was some "no-fly zone".

Can't put it better than this http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/MJ22Ak03.html :

"As for how R2P ("responsibility to protect" civilians), any doubters should cling to the explanation by NATO's secretary general Anders Fogh Rasmussen; "NATO and our partners have successfully implemented the historic mandate of the United Nations to protect the people of Libya." Anyone who wants to check NATO's protection of civilians just needs to jump on a pick-up truck and go to Sirte - the new Fallujah. "

Great success, politicians. Guess the real shit will start hitting the fan now.

1. BoldMan
        Thumb Down

I just read the linked article... one of the most biased analysis of this whole thing I think I've ever come across! You can see the hate for the west in every paragraph. Pity, though as there were important things to be said, but this writer missed the point with his sarcastic vitriol.

2. jake Silver badge

Hands up, all ...

... who would trust anything posted on !GooMyFaceYouMSTubeTwit.

Seriously, does this Jimmy Stavridis clown really think that he's contributing to the great scheme of things by posting to so-called "social" web sites?

And he's NATO's "Supreme Commander" of WHAT?

THAT, my friends, is scary. This egomaniac has access to nukes ...

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Couldn't agree more.

Farcebook? Really?

The man should be stripped of his command IMMEDIATELY, for showing extremely poor judgement!

3. fearnothing

"The longest and most expensive assassination in history"

Weren't there two ground wars in Iraq plus an ongoing occupation? I don't think some airstrikes and a naval blocade will really compare to those. Oh, maybe that wasn't an assassination mission. My bad.

4. metaspective
    Meh

That was the easy bit...

...the hard part is building a decent society for the people of the region. Let's hope they succeed.

1. Yag
      Unhappy

quite predictably...

Just look at what is happening now in Tunisia and Egypt...

5. Yag
    Trollface

The important part is missing...

How many people "liked" that?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like