back to article Just seven solar cars reach Adelaide alive

The provisional* results of the World Solar Challenge show that just seven of the 37 solar cars competing drove the entire 2,998 kilometres from Darwin to Adelaide under their own steam and by Saturday's deadline. Michigan celebrate in Adelaide. Pic: World Solar Challenge The top three finishers Tokai University, Nuon Solar …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dale 3
    Headmaster

"under their own steam"

I thought they were supposed to be solar powered?

Sorry :-(

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: "under their own steam"

I had a bet with myself that this would be the first comment. I'm awarding myself beer, here on Queensland's Gold Coast, as a reward for my insight into the Reg commenter mind. Cheers!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Trollface

Pfft--a knowledge of Reg readers mindset so obvious....

That your little test practically constitutes entrapment!!

I bet you leave cases of beer out at the Reg's HQ, and congratulate yourself when they are not there at the end of the day!! :)

2. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Solar-furnace powered steampunk racing car

I think el Reg might be on to something there.

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Solar-furnace powered steampunk racing car

I like it. Got a CAD file of that design?

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

But, as a Queenslander, welcome to the state. I hope you see some of it that isn't the Gold Coast. Cavill Avenue on any given night isn't exactly representative <shudder>.

2. Geoff Lamb

No test track

Darwin to Adelaide is one of the furtherest things from a test track! Which is why the race has been going for so long.

I am not some of the entrances know what they are signing up too.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I too am not some of the entrances know what they are signing up too :)

1. andreas koch

@ AC 0723h

Common sense would creatively place 'sure' between 'not' and 'some' and make sense as well as prevent smirky comments.

;-)

1. Danny 14
          Facepalm

wut?

common sense el reg style will allow the fact that mistakes in posting will result in mucho trampling.

2. peter 45
          FAIL

@Andreas.

Do you really need a joke icon to spot the joke?

1. andreas koch

@ peter 45

Do I need to make bigger smirky smilies?

||

;-) <====================

3. Ron1
    Go

Actually, steam was (is?) allowed at WSC

Not sure about 2011, but in the early WSC races there was no rule about using solar electric (photovoltaic) power - any solar power could be used, including Stirling engine or steam engine/turbine (with steam generated by solar power, of course).

In fact, I am pretty sure at least one team used a Stirling engine in the early 90s. It's efficiency was obviously no match for the then emerging GaAs PV cells...

Need to find my "Speed of Light: The 1996 World Solar Challenge" book and check this.

Yes, yes, I know I'm a (WSC) geek, no need to remind me :-)

4. J.G.Harston Silver badge
    Thumb Up

2998 kilometres

Couldn't they move the start and finish lines so it's a nice round 3000km?

1. Owain 1
      Holmes

it probably is 3000k

but that sounded too rounded. So they knocked off 2k to make it seem 'accurate'.

5. Tim Bergel
    Pint

Hey Lester

Can you tell us how many non-finishers actually broke down and how many were still moving, but didn't make the deadline?

Beer icon as you will probably prefer to drink it than dig out answers to trivial queries...

1. andreas koch

@ Tim

It's on the WSC website.

http://www.worldsolarchallenge.org/files/318_2011_veolia_world_solar_challenge_provisional_results_pending_protests.pdf

6. Armando 123

Y'Know, ...

That's still a higher success rate than you'd get with Hyundais ....

This topic is closed for new posts.