back to article Spooks still prefer BlackBerrys for swapping secrets

BlackBerry is to retain its status as the government's favoured mobile device for transferring restricted information, despite the network problems that led to a widespread breakdown in its service for three days last week. Different versions of the device have been approved for use at IL3 (restricted) level when configured …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Don't forget the built-in theft protection

Nobody wants to steal them

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Confidentiality trumps Availability

Does Integrity get a look in somewhere?

3. Tom 13

And that would be why

BB will continue to exist as a smartphone company, certain stock trader opinions not withstanding.

And yes, it works that way on the other side of The Pond too.

4. JaitcH
    WTF?

exchange them "on a private network run by the Canadian manufacturer Research In Motion"

You mean to say the UK government doesn't have it's very own enterprise server?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

GCHQ recommends Blackberry

'A spokesman for GCHQ said: "BlackBerry is still the government's favoured method of protecting the delivery of data up to IL3. There is no indication that this will change."`

That's cause evereything is already sent back to 'Information Retrieval` ..

`Mr Lint the next customer has been delivered to us'

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Richard Taylor 2
    Facepalm

IL3

Restricted ain't secret - it's more to do with the lunchtime menu at Cheltenham.

8. IHateWearingATie
    Go

Didn't see any outage for my gov BB...

... maybe that's why they're still recommended

9. Mips
    Childcatcher

Spooks?

I see on BBC's "Spooks" they used to use Nokia, now they use iPhone.

10. TkH11

@Richard Taylor 2

Not entirely true. I've worked with restricted docs which certainly aren't lunch time menus, and which I certainly would regard as sensitive, but I'm not going to tell you what kind of docs they are.

11. NX1977
    Big Brother

I dont get it

Surely secret squirrels would want control of the data between handset and destination with as few steps as possible?

You could encrypt both ends now. Adding in someone elses system which could fail or get hacked surely isnt a wise idea for spook data?

It's just another unnecessary point added to the data path where someone could get hold of it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like