back to article The Guardian iPad Edition

As well as launching a brand new app specifically designed for the iPad, The Guardian is also the first proper UK newspaper to appear in iOS 5's Newsstand feature. The Guardian iPad Edition gives us interesting look at how the newspaper industry could develop in the next few years. Newsstand is the magazine and newspaper …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Buzzword

Comparison with Kindle edition?

The Guardian Kindle edition also costs £9.99 a month. Is it essentially the same as the iPad edition? Compared with the printed newspaper, on Kindle it has fewer photos and graphics, and last time I checked the crossword was missing.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Crossword is one of the things that would get me to buy this - proper fill-innable crossword with answer verification options.

2. Ed
    Thumb Up

I like it

I've been trying it out on my commute for the last few days and I like it. It does lack some of the serendipitous nature of a real paper, but it comes closer to that than most news apps. I quite like having to flip through to find what I'm interested in, as often I'll end up reading things I wouldn't normally read.

It's missing parts of the paper like g2 though, which I normally enjoy reading (on the rare occasion I get a paper!)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

I'd rather have a dump on my iPad

than have the sanctimous drivel of Polly Toynbee et al

4. hexx
    Meh

why are there ads if it's a paid magazine? don't understand this model, I mean common, you don't need to spend money for print, paper and so on. if they want me to pay for e-magazine, please remove all adverts from it and focus on content you want me to pay for instead.

1. Tony Smith, Editor, Reg Hardware (Written by Reg staff)

Re:

'Ads in a paid magazine'... Er... you mean like the paper version, which has both a cover price and advertising.

This is far more common in publishing than the 'give it away for free, pay for it from ads' model.

2. Chris 3
      Facepalm

They're trying to turn a profit

shockingly enough.

As the article says the electronic copy is significantly cheaper than a paper one.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Erm...metro?

I take it we are discounting the metro as being a UK newspaper then considering when IOS5 launched, Metro was available immediately so I would say it had the edge over the GUardian. That and its free or is that why its being discounted?

6. Mickey Finn

A for effort

Nobody (other than BBC wonks, or people looking for public sector jobs in sustainability and diversity) reads this drivel anyway… So even though they have gone to this effort, it's a waste of space.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Ah, "I won't try it because I know I wouldn't like it" - strong argument..

7. Tim Brown 1
    FAIL

Attractive but not very functional

I downloaded the iPad app to have a look at it a few days ago, but in it's current incarnation I find it pretty much unusable and certainly not something I would consider paying for.

The navigation is far from intuitive, too much emphasis seems to have been put on making it pretty rather than conveying information. Would it be too much to ask for a simple list of headlines somewhere?

Flipboard does the whole thing a lot better.

1. Ed

I very much like that it doesn't just list headlines - I like that I read it roughly in-order as it means I read things that I wouldn't otherwise read. I consider that an advantage over the more website-style model.

8. Scott Earle
    Unhappy

Only available in the UK and US stores

As an expat Brit, I would love to be able to subscribe to this, but can not because it is only available in the UK and US stores. Lots of expats read Teh Grauniad, but if we have a 'local' iTunes account then we simply can't buy it.

Bit of an odd restriction, that.

(And yes, I know it's now possible to 'fool' the Store into allowing an account to be opened in another country, but it was not possible when I started buying apps. Back then you needed a credit card whose billing address was in the country of the Store)

1. Wulff

It's available in Germany, too.

Although, as others have said, without a search function it's not as usable as it could have been. Personally I prefer to get the "ePaper" version via PressReader.

9. Pete the not so great
    Devil

Where is the...

El Reg app?

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Where is the...

Well, there is The Reg iPhone app...

2. Tony Smith, Editor, Reg Hardware (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Where is the...

On the iPad, the El Reg app is called 'Safari'.

10. Chad H.
    Thumb Down

Review score should be lower

As the Observer is not included in the iPad app despite the iPhone app and the Guardian website seemingly pulling observer artciles on sunday.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Try here for cheap and cheerful full Grauniad and Observer on your phone (and probably iPad too)

http://guardiantoday.appspot.com/

12. Paul Wells
    FAIL

Free?

It's annoying how all of the newsstand papers are listed as "free" when really it's the app that you can't do anything with that's free and you have to subscribe to the content.

13. sheep++;
    Unhappy

"i" prefix

Once again I'm grumpy about everything prefixed with "i". Gets on my tits.

iAm going to do something more useful than ranting, hardy ha.

14. montyburns56
    Facepalm

Grauniad

Does it come with a free spellcheck app?

15. Gareth 18

Really dissapointing

It isn't good. Certainly not when you compare it to The Times app. It is just an alternative way to view the website, rather then a way to read the newspaper on your iPad.

You have to scroll through articles, instead of seeing an article take up the whole screen.

Its poorly laid out

No original content that isn't available online

No crossword

I guess if you are desperate to read The Guardian website it might be a better way to view it, but I certainly wouldn't pay for it as it just doesn't really give me anything that isn't already available for free. Its certainly not a paper in app form.

Seriously, review The Times app to see what a real newspaper app should look like. Its worlds above what The Guardian offer in terms of design and content (crosswords, The Times 5 days a week, plus The Sunday Times).

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like