back to article Apotheker right hand man Wohl exits HP

HP's short lived chief communication officer Bill Wohl - a close ally of blundering former CEO Leo Apotheker - has confirmed that he has followed his buddy out of the business. The man, who was on hand to advise Leo on the masterful handling of the PSG saga, and the TouchPad and WebOS announcement in August, revealed on …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. SirWired 1

I suspect his departure was more of the "I'd like to see your 'resignation' on my desk so I don't have to file the paperwork to fire you" variety. Not exactly voluntary.

I wonder how much of the PSG debacle was Apotheker being a moron, and how much was this guy not telling him what a moron he was being.

2. dogged
    Holmes

Honestly, what were they thinking?

SAP only sells because of a) lock-in b) herd mentality among idiot execs and c) the best cocaine and hookers in the entire universe (supposition but it's the only answer that makes sense).

It's _shit_.

Did HP take a good long look at themselves and think "we need to be shittier?"

I can't understand it.

1. Neil Greatorex
      FAIL

Don't think anyone can understand it

Anyone with a touch of sense that is. Merkins OTOH, understand "Shareholder value" & other utter short-termism bollocks and the like; drive a good, profitable, sensible company into the ground; but give a good dividend. Yup that's OK & that's "business".

Sorry it's utter shite & the bane of the western business world.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge
        Devil

Dividend != earnings per share

They do not even do the dividend nowdays. Short term raise of the share price is generally what you get from most American companies.

2. k9gardner

So true

At one time I worked in the music industry - or the "record industry" as we called it at the time, since that's what we made. It was a large, well-known, international record label group. There was this nasty business of "promotion", involving just that bit of cocaine, hookers, etc., that had gotten the industry into hot water some years before. So they set up instead this network of "independent promoters," who were paid literally millions of dollars to do the same thing, to get the music played on the radio, and to get rack space in the retail outlets, only they were "consultants" instead of a division of the company, and these funds were kept in an intricate system of off-the-books accounting.

Which is a long roundabout way of saying that SAP never directly does these installations, they always work through consultants, and they're always the high-end guys like PWC, Deloitte, Bain, who at the time that my company (this is a different company now, in the fashion industry) implemented SAP were certainly high rollers in the entertainment end of things. I'm not saying drugs 'n ho's, but I am saying that there were lots of dinners and drinks and god knows what else going on. But you don't have consultants whose hobbies include flying his own helicopter on the cheap, that's for sure. And it was the customer paying for all of it.

In the end, was it worth it? The idea of consolidating into a single business data platform only has merit if you move the entire business - all of its departmental systems - into that platform. Which almost no one does. The development of the "hooks" to all the other operational systems is what most of these consultants were doing. It creates a horrendous budget, millions of dollars to implement, and the end delivery almost never shows a real reduction in outlay for IT expenses, which is the entire justification for any SAP implementation.

Yes, that's just one man's opinion, but it comes from my own direct experience in an SAP implementation project. Not a pretty picture. That HP wanted to reinvent itself along those lines - more than a decade after the heyday of most such undertakings - paints HP's board the fool more even than Apotheker. They were snowed. Hopefully they have awakened now, and will not let the same thing happen again.

3. alwarming
    Stop

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE GOD DON'T LET HIM RETIRE*

We want some more fire sales!!!! :-D

* pls consider a career @ apple, samsung, blackberry, sony... there is a sea of options.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge
      Devil

Absolutely

I got some fantastic HP kit for some stupidly low prices this time.

Where will these bumbling morons work next?

4. HP Cynic

In my region / tower we've replaced SAP with something that's actually worse.

I did not think it was possibe.....

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I suspect it's an 'orrible application suite....

6. zen1
    Facepalm

chief turd polisher?

So he was the one ultimately responsible for sugar coating feces? Wow.

7. Melanie Winiger

Meg has her knife out

FYI... another one has gone as well - Shane Robinson "retired" as well one day later.

More to come...

8. Bernd Felsche
    Coat

Apotheker Wohl?

Garnicht!

Sad constellation of names for those who are Germanically enhanced.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like