back to article HP fortifies VirtualSystem arsenal

HP is expanding its line of preconfigured, virtualization-ready VirtualSystem machines and offering financing and design and implementation services for the more fully fluffed up CloudSystems – which are VirtualSystems gussied up with cloudy management software and self-service portals. The VirtualSystems take some of the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. alwarming
    Paris Hilton

Problem with the enterprise HP PR

They play to the gallery - gallery being the HP execs and not actual HP customers! So its so full of HP buzzwords that no SVP, VP or even a director feels cheated. In reality they should be breaking down the buzzwords from the customer's perspective and make it a more meaningful information dissemination. Probably PSG can teach them a lesson or 2 in the art of communication (yeah, the arm that might get lopped off, that one).

Paris, coz she knows a thing or 2 about PR.

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Happy

RE: Problem with the enterprise HP PR

Shush! Some of us make a tidy living from doing the "translation" that actually lets the board think they know what they're buying. If hp talked sense I'd have to make much more use of the cattleprod!

2. Kiralexi

Correction

Nonstop doesn't run on the BL860c i2 itself - as far as I know, it only runs on NonStop-branded blades with ServerNet cards.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Once Upon A Time

..the HP PA systems were leading-egde, clocked at 100 MHz when the competing 486 systems could only be clocked at 50 MHz or so.

Then MBA-Genius Lew Platt decided to "outsource" compiler and processor development to India and Intel respectively. What did HP get in return ? Something which runs at 50% of the clock rate of Intel x86 systems.

Proof that the theory "good MBAs can run any sort of company" is wrong. Platt was a mechanical engineer and MBA and probably never really understood electronics. David Packard and Bill Hewlett apparently didn't know their own strengths.

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      FAIL

RE: Once Upon A Time

Oh dear. Your fixation with clock speed completely misses the fact that the Itanium core does a lot more with each clock than x64 cores. Were applications take advantage of that, the Itanium is still much "faster" than the x64.

1. Kebabbert

Actually,

Matt Bryant is right here. Itanium cores do a lot more work with each clock than x64 cores. As Alpha cpus did. I hear that old Alphas still hold up to much higher clocked x86 even today - in some benches. Clock speed is not everything. IBM POWER6 at 5GHz were not that fast compared to contemporary x86, the POWER6 did very little work for every tick. For instance, you need 14 (fourteen) POWER6 cpus to match four Niagara T2 cpus at 1.6GHz in official SIEBEL v8 benchmarks. How would that be possible if clock speed was everything?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@alwarming: unfortunately you are probably correct

I've been quietly screaming about this for years.

HP's new version of their support site bears this out. - if you dig into the software being used, it is a social networking product. What should have been used was a technical support product.

And the latest reworking of their main web site has taken it from a content rich place to, er, I'm not sure what.

5. Dazed and Confused

vPars are not Containers inside HP-UX

vPars are software partitions which offer finer granularity than nPars while still imposing almost no overhead (SBAs are shared) and greater run time flexibility than nPars, but without the hardware fault isolation.

HP-UX has also offered "containers" inside HP-UX for years. They are called Secure Resource Partitions.

Admittedly HP-UX has a bewildering array of partitions/virtualization products, but they all offer significant different benefits.

1. Kebabbert

A question

"...HP-UX has also offered "containers" inside HP-UX for years. They are called Secure Resource Partitions..."

Solaris has Containers, but are the HP-UX version identical? I mean, some people think that Solaris Containers is a killer feature, and it is a really cool idea. But did HP-UX really have this, years ago? Is the HP-UX SRP a full worthy Container implementation, or is it crippled? Do you have links on HP-UX SRP?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

c6000

If it's a C6000 from HP then it's either a printer or a low end PC. The blade enclosure is the c7000.

This topic is closed for new posts.