back to article Philips Fidelio DS9

Philips' audio engineers must be feeling rather pleased with themselves these days. Their Fidelio series of iDevice-friendly speakers - now augmented with Android-oriented models - deliver the kind of sound quality you get from top-of-the-line rivals like B&W and Bose, are very stylishly kitted out and reasonably priced too. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Eponymous Cowherd
    Unhappy

Is there any chance......

that The Register could do a review on non- iThing docks? Or, at least, ones that have the *option* of being used with non Apple products?

You know, using something obscure like a 3.5mm stereo jack plug?

1. Tony Smith, Editor, Reg Hardware (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Is there any chance......

*Read the review* and you'll find that not only does the DS9 have a 3.5mm stereo audio input but also that Philips has released a Fidelio dock with a mini USB port for docking Android phones.

1. Eponymous Cowherd

Yes, but......

you didn't *review* the Android version or review this one when used via the jack plug.

Not a criticism of this review. I'd just like to see reviews of docks that are not, first and foremost, iThing docks, with other devices being an after-thought.

2. Rob Smith 1
        FAIL

Not answering the question

The poster asked if the reg could review some non-i docks, not if any existed.

I too would be interested in seeing reviews of Android specific docks as, for example, I would like to know well the docking on the Android Fidelio holds a phone with an off-centre usb socket

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

had the previous one

due to the el reg review I bought the one from last year. there were tiny cracks when playing music through the iphone connector (and iPhone 4) so we returned it eventually. I read that I was not the only one having this problem, I was glad it was from amazon and I could return it easily.

The quality was otherwise pretty good and it had no problem (no cracks in the sound) with a 3,5mm jack (windows phone). One thing is that because of the inclined design dust tends to gather on the black net covering the loudspeaker so you'll have to clean it now and then. the whole device has a very nice quality feeling to it.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Philips engineers?

Pretty impressive that it's only taken this long to realise that you'll get better stereo seperation by not pointing the speakers towards each other

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Another thing...

Quality you get from the likes of B&W and Bose? You can't bracket B&W with Bose. Bose are hardly a benchmark to aspire to.

4. Dave 126 Silver badge

Seems to me....

That makers of Android and PMPs could do with creating a standard docking / remote standard themselves. iDevices do seem to have this edge when connecting to, say, a car stereo or a home stereo dock with remote control.

5. Some Beggar
    Meh

Is it just me ...

or do these things always look quite nice right up until the point you stick an iThing into them?

iThings = pretty

(some) iDocks = pretty

iThing + iDock = rubbish

6. Frederick Tennant

ithing??

its a bit short sited to ask for a Android dock speaker. Or has everybody here forgotten about where the connector comes from??? Well for the ones that had forgotten, Apple produced the Ipod!! which was designed for music, they owned over 70% of mp3 sales for years and now you wonder why nobody makes music for android only, come on and smell the coffee NO STANDARD, NO PRODUCT. its a numbers game.

7. John 62
    Flame

looks more upmarket than it is?

It's 250 quid! It had better look upmarket!

8. PassiveSmoking
    Coat

DS9

That's all well and good, but can it hold off a Dominion battle fleet of Gem Hadar coming through the Bajor wormhole?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like