back to article The effect of a comms meltdown

What a week it's been for mobile communications and productivity! The meltdown of RIM's Blackberry infrastructure and difficulties getting the service back up and running show just how much we are becoming reliant on (or should that be addicted to?) our mobile gadgets and communications services. Meanwhile, we’ve seen issues …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Wasnt the internet developed to AVOID the dangers of a centralised system??

You make me store my valuables on a cloud after you prise my DVD burner from my cold, dead hand!!!!!

My coat has pockets that are just big enough for my portable DVD burner and a handy supply of disks.

1. itzman

not one cloud..

..but many..

the whole point of a high speed WAN is not localisation or centralisation but geography independent distribution.

if you can sync data among various servers, then it doesn't matter if one is unavailable: you use another.

2. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Devil

Everything...

No matter how many redundancies, clustered servers or nodes you have, they will break eventually. No system, server, operating system or program is 100% error free all the time.

Stuff is going to happen, so deal with it. Anyone who places all their eggs in one basket will eventually be disappointed. If you do not have systems and processes in place to deal with the loss when they are not available you are simply dim and deserve what you get.

From a personal perspective; Anyone who cannot live without BBM texting for three days needs to get a life.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It will be interesting to see what happens ...

If one day (as seems likely sooner rather than later) we have a repeat Carrington Event scenario.

4. Chris 211

servers?

its not servers that are the weak link. Most people only have one internet link so when that fails your dead in the water. Cloud computing, silly idea. Dependant on size and importance a local server/service is a must have, its only lazy IT admins who dont want to build and maintain them.

5. Graham Bartlett

@Chris

Dead right. The weak point is always the cables in and out. And not just in and out of your own building - witness the power outage in SW US and Mexico in early September. Sure, if power's down then your external connections might be down too, but if you've got your data on site then all you need is a generator and you're back working.

6. David Gale

Not Every Cloud has a Silver Lining

You were warned: http://sitfo.wordpress.com/2011/03/09/not-every-cloud-has-a-silver-lining/

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like