back to article WD: Thailand floods worse than feared

WD is expecting flooding in Thailand to "significantly impact" disk drive availability this quarter after the situation deteriorated. The HDD giant last week confirmed that facilities close to Bangkok were closed as it dealt with the natural disaster. Rival Seagate is also evaluating the extent of the damage on sub assembly …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

eggs .... basket .... Check!

I bet it sucks even worse for the people in Thailand.

2. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

Well, I know this is a techie site and all that, but somehow I have more feeling for the people in Thailand than I do for a disk drive manufacturer.

3. Robert E A Harvey

Can we spare a thought for the people whose homes and jobs have been affected already, and in the future? around 300 are dead and 3 million homeless.

I don't know about you, but I can live with my existing hard disks for a while.

if you want a tech angle, the Radio Amateur Society of Thailand is organising communications and accepting relief donations: http://www.qsl.net/rast/

4. Silent but Deadly
    Coat

Should have installed...

A sea gate.

5. NomNomNom

shit this flood is a real tragedy and couldn't have happened at a worse time. i only have 10gb left and a load of torrents lined up for the weekend. are they saying there will be a run on stores for hard drives? should i be buying now? where is the government response to this? wheres the information?

6. Nigel 11
    Unhappy

Common-mode manufacturing failures

Oops. That's both WD and the unfortunately named Seagate hit by the same natural disaster.

Anyone know where HGST do their assembling? Hoping it's not Thailand. Hoping that the answer for Samsung is Korea.

Last thing like this I can remember was the time a factory in Japan making ultrapure (radioisotope-free) resin for encapsulating DRAM chips caught fire. DRAM Manufacturers thought that they had second- and third- sources, but those sources were subcontracting manufacture back to that same company in Japan! RAM prices spiked skywards for a few months.

As the tech gets higher, the risk of this sort of common-mode failure also gets higher.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like