back to article MS kills, un-kills kills Zune player line

Zune hardware really is dead. Microsoft has re-posted the end-of-life notice it put up on its website last week and then took it down a day later. "We will no longer be producing Zune players," it says. Microsoft hasn't revised its Zune hardware since 2009, which tells you all you need to know about its commitment to the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Good news everybody..

Perhaps Microsoft are end-of life all their shit products and concentrating on what they are good at.

Here's hoping Xbox and Windows Mobile are next to get the chop.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Sooty

they killed off their pc hardware arm, despite producing the best kit you could get, so it's not unprecedented.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Since when

Has Xbox or Windows Mobile ever been profitable?

Only in accountant speak where they disregard what went before any old talk about the current quarter.

Since inception, the Entertainment and Devices division of Microsoft has lost over $12bn, partly due to Zune, but mostly due to Xbox.

2. Adam Trickett
    Meh

Other than Monkey Boy's kids does anyone care?

Other than family of MS top brass who were told to use a Zune, does anyone else have one or care?

1. JasonW
      Happy

Never mind have one...

... I've not even seen one in the flesh and now I probably never will.

1. Armando 123

Well

I have seen exactly 1 (one) in the wild. That is against countless iPods, and a smattering of others from other companies.

And that one person is the kind who WOULD buy a Zune. I'll leave it at that.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Zune cancelled"

"Not many affected"

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Were they ever even released in the UK? Never heard much about them here..

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No

Just released in the US

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmm

"Unless Microsoft pulls the page again…"

Maybe they didn't pull it. Maybe something crashed...!

5. Dan Price
    Unhappy

A shame

I bought a Zune HD (imported from the states due to the lack of a UK release) and was really impressed by it. The screen, while small, is absolutely gorgeous and the sound quality is superb even using the bundled earphones. I for one will be sad to see them go, though I suppose with even cheap feature phones packing a competent media player nowadays the death of the PMP is pretty much inevitable.

1. Northern Fop
      Trollface

So...

...did you go for the brown one? That's was a brave colour choice that's been emulated far and wide. Oh, wait...

(Pedants: yes I know they dropped the brown option after the 1st gen. Back to your caves.)

2. Arctic fox

RE: "A shame"

"with even cheap feature phones packing a competent media player nowadays the death of the PMP is pretty much inevitable."

I think that that is at least as much the point here for Redmond as the Zune-player's not so stellar sales record. The smartphones and the good quality featurephones are in practice killing the stand alone media player and the compact digital camera (plus a whole list of other devices dependent on which apps the owner has installed). It simply is not worth the effort from MS' point of view.

6. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    FAIL

Available outside the USA?

Thought not.

Fail coz you consider yourself a Global Tech player?

Fail coz everyone else (apart from B&N) it seems thinks on a global scale.

Fail coz ... well you deserve to for your patent scam on Android devices.

Get the message?

Thought not. sigh

7. maxtheknight
    Unhappy

I own one ...

...and I love it. The interface is beautiful, sound quality is great (not perfect, but far above any iPod I've owned) and it works like a dream. I only use it for listening to music and for the occassional video podcast. Okay, so it doesn't have many apps, but I don't need them. It's built like a brick shit house and (in my view) looks good too. I also love the artist biog it pulls in (and photos). Oh and the battery lasts forever.

It's not exactly a surprise, but it is a shame nonetheless.

8. Joe Montana
    FAIL

DRM...

And if you bought DRM encumbered music to play on these devices, will you still be able to play it?

They already pulled the plug on people who bought through the msn music store a few years ago, when will zune users be screwed in the same way?

1. maxtheknight

Err ...

...you can't buy music through the Zune software as you need a US account (for use on a Zune at least) so this point for me at least is moot.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Optional Title Declined

As family of the (very) top brass on this, I can confirm that there were no such instructions. I "might" have been able to get one at a discount (didn't ask), but there was no underhanded marketing ploys involving freebies to families (much to my annoyance).

The (boring) fact is that MS employees can use any device they choose for their work & personal lives. In my experience they chose the Zune cos it was better than the iPod. They currently choose the iPhone, cos it's better than any Windows phones...so far. And they use dual boot Macs.

(Oh and they play on Xbox & PS3 & Wii & PSP & 3DS. But of course they would. They're MS, they're rich! But don't play on PC. Because they're not nuts).

So anyway the fact is, it's a shame this gadget is gone, cos it was apparently a good one.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Think 360 not Vista

As family of the (very) top brass on this, I can confirm that there were no such instructions. I "might" have been able to get one at a discount (didn't ask), but there was no underhanded marketing ploys involving freebies to families (much to my annoyance).

The (boring) fact is that MS employees can use any device they choose for their work & personal lives. In my experience they chose the Zune cos it was better than the iPod. They currently choose the iPhone, cos it's better than any Windows phones...so far. And they use dual boot Macs.

(Oh and they play on Xbox & PS3 & Wii & PSP & 3DS. But of course they would. They're MS, they're rich! But don't play on PC. Because they're not nuts).

Basically it's a shame this gadget is gone, cos it apparently was a good one.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Optional Title Still Declined

BTW That was in response to the comment "Other than family of MS top brass who were told to use a Zune, does anyone else have one or care?". But that bit got lost in the post.

Oh and to further muddy the waters of my impartiality - I have a new ipod and i'm buggered if I can get it to play podcasts in any sort of sensible order (or marked them as listened to when listened to, and not listened to when not listened to).

1. DAN*tastik

*I have a new ipod and i'm buggered if I can get it to play podcasts in any sort of sensible order (or marked them as listened to when listened to, and not listened to when not listened to).

Suits you.

1. GrantB
        Boffin

iPod Touch?

Have 3 iPod Touch players in the family over a couple of generations.

I think the Touch will be the last PMP standing, though obviously these devices (and even the Nano) are far more than simple media players with the number of games and other apps available for them.

I can't imagine what the anon poster could be doing to have problems with podcasts, but in my experience, the podcast functionality is a perfect example of Apple getting it right.

iTunes automatically downloads new episodes of say SGU every week, it gets copied to my player, I listen to it on the bus, it retains my position in the podcast, then once I finish listening, it removes it. If there are several episodes then it defaults to playing them oldest to newest (which makes sense). Yes, you can right-click on a podcast and mark it as listened to or not.

Can't imagine people bothering to manually manage a bunch of podcasts on other systems that didn't work like that.

12. minky

Who's Zune?

Zune's dead, baby. Zune's dead.

13. N13L5
    Coffee/keyboard

And so

Microsoft thinks Zune owners, who's devices they just orphaned will rush out to buy a Windphone7...

I think anybody who sees this maybe-maybe not support from M$ and also remembers everybody who used Microsoft's DRM and lost all the music they purchased, is going to buy just about anything EXCEPT another Microshuft product...

14. Realiti Czech

Zune? I've never seen one in the wild. Do have a WinPhone, not much different from an iPhone - though the browser seems to work better. Music and video are no different than the iPhone that I had before.

Now, the Zune software (on Windows) is exponentially superior to iTunes. Takes no time to start up and use. Very good design.

But for ultimate music player, I think the Nano 6th Generation takes that award. Tiny, cheap, touch-screen, great battery life. All the abilities of a standard iPod in a very compact package.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like