back to article Bandwidth restrictions can affect the memory

Every now and again, a conversation at the pub goes somewhere interesting. One of the more junior sysadmins in our group recently took over an aging small business network. The company is absolutely dependent upon an archaic piece of software for which virtualisation was the only available route to increasing the application’s …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Lee Dowling Silver badge
    FAIL

Moral

The moral of the story really is:

Don't go upgrading blindly expecting performance increases. Monitor the system, identify bottlenecks, fix the bottleneck.

People who have the kind of responsibility and money to throw hybrid flash/disk SAN's at problems without bothering to see where the bottleneck are EXACTLY the sort of people who shouldn't be in charge of that kind of hardware / responsibility.

Blindly-part-swapping "technicians" do not a good IT department make - unless you're working for PC World, apparently.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

And the next bottleneck after fixing.

2. Gav
    Headmaster

the bleeding obvious

I don't follow much of the detail of this, not being a network techie, but I'd file the conclusions under "the bleeding obvious".

Putting your granny into a high performance sports car will not make her drive any faster.

3. Alan Brown Silver badge

You haven't met my granny...

... she lost her license after being pinged at 100mph+ sometime in her early 80s

1. Thomas_Kent

The Little Ol' Lady

Does she live in Pasadena?

4. NoSh*tSherlock!
    Boffin

A kid with his first car

AS part of the learning experience many of us have souped up a basically weak platform with added high performance components - your first car, a hifi or soundsystem, a camera with lenses, your overclocked games machine, your iToy with apps -

AND

There is nothing wrong with those efforts until they reach extremes and you look back in hindsight.

This simply sounds like a failure in management allied to giving toys to a tinkerer.

You pays your money and takes your choice - I have seen just as many examples of forklift refreshes fail to deliver becaues the key IP is lost.

This topic is closed for new posts.