back to article Samsung, Google to out Ice Cream Sarnie next week

Samsung and Google have rescheduled the announcement of their latest smartphone collaboration, putting a mark in the calendars on 19 October - next Wednesday. The launch, which is expected to feature not only a new Samsung Galaxy handset but also the latest incarnation of Android, Ice Cream Sandwich - a point confirmed by …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Mushroom

Oh Goody

Says Steve Balmer to himself. Lots more idiots buying this stuff and paying us for the honour to use it. I wonder how long the lines in the stores will be....

{puts feet up on desk}

He'd probably be smoking a cigar in former times.

1. CmdrX3

You say that as if the royalties are a huge and defining part of MS's business when in reality it's nothing more than a nice sideline for them. Granted, at 100 million it might seem large, but when taken over their whole business it's quite a tiny portion.

2. HP Cynic

Good stuff. And 1-2 weeks later the new Nokia Windows phones appear so I'll finally see all 3 offerings and be able to get my first SmartPhone.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Source code

Looking forward to "mkdir android ; cd android ; repo init -u git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git ; repo sync ; make" the sarnie.

1. Chris007

I'd suggest not forgoing water and food whilst you wait!

4. tmTM

A good lauch ?

I like a launch event like this, everyone knows what to expect as the main tech specs have leaked out - people just want a few flashy videos and pictures to throw around before launch day.

No disappointment that samsung have wheeled out last years phone with some slightly updated software and a new camera.

5. Kubla Cant
    WTF?

Why do versions of Android have such mind-blowingly stupid names?

What _is_ a Froyo, anyway?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

FRozen YOghurt

Are the Android codenames any more stupid that naming an entire OS line after big mangy cats?

2. blcollier

Donut, Eclair, Frozen Yoghurt, Gingerbread, Honeycomb, Ice Cream Sandwich... Far better names than iOS 4.9.6.5.9.5.4.2.5.4.2.etc...

3. hazzamon
      Headmaster

Android iterations are named after desserts in alphabetical order - 'FroYo' is short for Frozen Yoghurt. Do try to keep up!

1. Darryl

I hate the goofy names that everybody's using

I just use the numbers. Don't like talking about Android Gingerbread Yoghurt or OS-X Snow Lion or Ubuntu Surly Seahorse, thanks

4. Hairy Spod

they are all types of dessert and they go sequentially through the alphabet.

Since Android became really popular we've

elcair

froyo (AKA 'frozen yoghurt' which hippy and lady types eat as a low fat ice cream substitute)

gingerbread

ice cream sandwich

6. Gio Ciampa

How long before...

...Apple sues Samsung (but not Google) for using a vaguely food-related name?

7. Dick Emery
    IT Angle

What's the betting that they delay making it open source for many months after...possibly indefinitely (or at least until the next release)?

I want to see some hardcore mods for my Transformer past the small firmware tweaks currently available..

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like