back to article Social net sites do wonders for crooks, spooks and bosses

Social networks make obtaining sensitive background information on people as a prelude to stealing their identities – and running attacks on corporations – easier than ever before. Ira Winkler, president of ISAG (Internet Security Advisors Group), an ex-NSA officer and cybercrime guru, has called for increased security …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dave Murray
    Thumb Up

I've been saying this for years whenever someone asks me why I'm not on Facebook, etc. Usually I get looked at as if I'm some kind of anti-government survivalist nutter with a house full of weapons somewhere in the hills.

1. Josco

I agree

Although I have a Facebook account I rarely use it, never put any photos on it and never update my current status - why would anyone care?

The premise that everything on the web is there for all eternity has not caught peoples attention as yet. The best analogy I heard was that trying to remove information from the web was like trying to take piss out of a swimming pool.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

@I agree

Trying to get the mushroom cloud back in that shiny ball of plutonium?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Dave Murray

I hope that you can look at this link and feel confident that you are none of these people:

http://www.123people.co.uk/s/dave+murray

3. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

Have said it ad nauseum...

...if one is STUPID enough to put personal info on these LAME "social networking" sites...then they'll just have to suck it up, and deal with the consequences of identity theft...personal harassment...being stalked...being bullied...virus attacks...trojans...etc...etc.

I categorically REFUSE to use any of them.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

never got 4square

...who needs to know i am at M&S with the missus buying my y-fronts.

1. Bakunin
      Angel

re: y-front

Ah, the rock 'n' roll life style of us El Reg commentards.

"Anonymous Coward just became king of the pants aisle"

All hail ....

3. Captain Hogwash
    Boffin

Well,..

duh!

4. Citizen Kaned

i like this quote...

Computers are making people easier to use everyday

not sure why but its kind of cool.

5. You Are Not Free

'Computers are making DUMB people easier to use everyday'

Fixed it for you.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

If only her own government heeded her advice

...there would not have been the wikileaks-cablegate affair.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I deliver your post

Paranoid and fearful. Don't do anything, you might die. Maybe, I'm a liar and if so, what good is it to see my Facebook crap.

8. Dani Eder
    Happy

Fake name

On sites like Facebook I just use a fake name. They can track it all they want, it does not point to the real me.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

pseudonimity

Pseudonimity unfortunately isn't unlinkable anonymity. (Unlinkable cyber anonymity might be illegal)

Users of an alias should note that given the current interwebs security situation, your real name might be disclosed at any time.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ego Search

After reading this article I decided to ego search myself, pleased to say I'm still no where to be seen. I'm starting to question whether I really exist.

That being said between I gave up any illusion of privacy on the internet a long time ago.

I leave all that personal responsibility for privacy business in the safe hands of the likes Google and Facebook. They'll look after it, won't they? :)

Anonymouse, Just Because.

10. Winkypop Silver badge
    Alert

No way Jose!

No, LinkedIn - check

No, Facebook - check

No, 4Square - check

No, Twitter - check

No, Google+ - check

Holier than thou attitude - check

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like