back to article Users decide Fedora 17 will be 'Beefy Miracle'

The users of the Linux distribution Fedora have voted on the name for the 17th build of the code base. The top choice? Beefy Miracle. Fedora 17, due out in May of next year, is being named after animations built for the Anaconda installer in Fedora by one of the programmers. The hot dog pictures were designed for people who …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. AdamWill

oops.

“Typically we just have the one beta, but we will have some release-candidate builds,” he said. “We’re making nightly ISO updates right now, and people are taking a close look at the release candidate.”

This quotation is obviously taken somewhat out of context and I expect reads pretty confusingly if you don't know the Fedora release process. I suspect the question was something like 'how many pre-releases are there before Fedora 16 comes out' or something, and there may have been reference to Ubuntu's seventy-three zillions beta builds.

So, for the record, it works like this:

For each Fedora release there are only three widely-distributed sets of images: two pre-releases and the final release. Alpha, Beta and Final. I tend to call these 'phases'.

For *each phase*, there are Test Composes (TCs) and Release Candidates (RCs). A Test Compose is built before freeze and hence cannot possibly go out as the release; they're sort of test runs which we use to identify major issues ahead of the freeze point. An RC is built after freeze and should have all then-known release blocker bugs addressed and hence is truly a Release Candidate - if we don't find any further problems in it, it gets blessed and goes out as the release. If things go very well there may be only one RC for a given phase, but usually there are at least two or three. So typically we'd have, for example, Alpha TC1, Alpha TC2, Alpha RC1, Alpha RC2, Alpha RC3, then RC3 would be found to pass all the necessary tests and would be declared to be the Alpha release, mirrored, and announced as such.

Nightly builds happen every day (unless the compose simply fails for one reason or another) and are a separate process; they're just built automatically and left sitting on a server where you can download and test them if it seems useful for one reason or another.

So yeah, there are relatively few widely-distributed and publicized pre-release builds for each Fedora release, but there are actually a lot of composes that get announced and tested on a somewhat smaller scale leading up to those release points. The TCs and RCs aren't really restricted in distribution - if you sign up to the mailing lists or follow the forums, you'll find the links - but we don't go out of our way to announce them publicly and they aren't mirrored across the whole Fedora distribution network, they're just built and put up on a couple of servers. They exist to help us ensure the 'official' pre-releases and release meet the required standards.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sounds like a Pot Noodle flavour

3. Jim 59

Fedora 14

I've been using Fedora as my main desktop for a few years, currently on version Fedora 14. Support for 14 will stop with the impending release of Fedora 16. Sadly I must leave Fedora to escape Gnome 3.x. PCLinuxOS and Linux Mint are in the frame.

1. Linker3000
      Thumb Up

Oh, please stay

Do as I do when I could stand Gnome no longer on Fedora 15 and install the KDE interface (took all of 5 mins) and go for the next release with KDE as the standard desktop

1. Jim 59

KDE

Thanks, but doesn't that just expose you to the even bigger horrors of KDE 4.x ? It would be good to stay with Fedora, maybe XFCE is the true path.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'm in the same boat

You reading this AdamWill?

1. AdamWill

yes

yes. As the others say, it's not like GNOME is the only interface Fedora offers; KDE, LXDE and Xfce are all available and well maintained. KDE is as solid as GNOME in Fedora, really, and has about as many people working on it. We even have the usual collection of hardcore nutters running blackbox and so on.

Bottom line, there's no reason to ditch Fedora - or _any_ distro, really - because you don't like the default desktop.

1. mm0zct
          Linux

But a distro not supporting a desktop environment you really like _is_ a reason to leave a distro.

I am another that was saddened by the loss of gnome2, and am still running Fedora14 on my work desktop and my laptop. When it comes to upgrade I'll give gnome3 and XFCE a spin anyway, and will probably stick with Fedora, but I'm only resigning myself to losing gnome2 because other distros eventually will too.

4. Soruk

Re: Fedora 14

@Jim 59:

Try CentOS 6, that'll be supported for a good few years.

5. Tom Chiverton 1
    Unhappy

Sadly KDE 4.7 is broken

The Kontact migration to the new backend is flaky and risks data loss (multiple bugs in KDE and Ubuntu trackers), KMail can't delete mail correctly (https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=282681) nor count folder contents or reliably mark them as read (https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=283272).

Ktorrent's UPNP support is also totally busted (https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=283335).

I could go on.

6. Jeremy Sanders

Not voted for by users of Fedora, but developers

This article is partially wrong - the name was voted for by developers and contributors of Fedora primarily. You need to be a member of the contributors group to vote: http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/announce/2011-October/003000.html

7. Rambo 1

17??

When did all this happen?? I took my eyes off Fedora (and Linux in general) for what seemed like a short while, and now we're at 17??!! Sheesh, it seems like just yesterday we were excited about 11.

1. AdamWill

every six months

Fedora releases every six months, so to answer your question, 'over the last three years'. =)

8. Stephen Usher
    FAIL

Oh dear: systemd

Systemd is seriously bad joo-joo.

It's Apple's launchd or Sun/Oracle's svcadm re-implemented stupidly with cron rolled in.

Booting quickly is less important than booting correctly, especially if you're running vital services.

From what I've seen so far, systemd may actually be ready for the big time in about five years time when it's been overhauled, but I won't hold my breath.

1. AdamWill

by all means...

...provide some concrete examples of problems in systemd rather than vague 'it's new so it must be bad' FUD.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like