back to article Sony asks for 1.6m LCD TVs to be returned

Sony has warned owners of 40in Bravia televisions that it wants them all back after a handful of high-profile incidents in which the LCD TVs began emitting smoke or - in extreme cases - melted. Eleven incidents of dodgy sets have been reported in Japan, but the parts that malfunctioned have been built into in tellies that …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"So if you're worried your TV might start smoking or melting, a trained engineer will pop round to check it out."

By trained engineer they mean someone who is trained to find the serial number and check it against a list of those that need to be returned.

1. Danny 14
      Thumb Up

yup

and at £8 per TV its good business too. You can generally cover 20 in a day round here so its good contract month.

2. Anonymous Coward 15
    Joke

Unable to get a f*cking clue about network security,

Sony have resorted to building firewalls out of actual fire.

1. GrumpyOldBloke

re: Security

Agreed, this fire(wall) is about end user security which is obviously a lesser priority than Sony Corporate security. On the plus side, once the TV catches fire it can no longer leak unauthorised content, perhaps this is just an upgraded application of the DRM/DHCP model. I look forward to reading about the next generation of TVs with active content protection lasers in addition to Sonys world leading self destruct technology.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Get a grip Sony

Last week they shipped their top-end camera which had been in development for three years with incompatible firmware. Today it's sub-standard components in television. Last month it was PSN...

...is anyone in charge of quality control at Sony?

1. Fuh Quit
      Thumb Up

I'm so happy

I switched to Samsung for my consumer durables.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Hmmm

Having worked at Samsung (phones admittedly), I'm not sure that's a good choice. But then, most consumer goods testing is pretty pants nowadays (except Nokia stuff which is tested beyond the ken of normal humans).

I've got Samsung stuff which is flakey, LG which is flakey, Whirlpool which is flakey, NEFF which is OK, Nokia which is OK, Humax which is on and off flakey.

Just assume what you get will be flakey, and you will be pleasantly surprised (at some point).

2. bazza Silver badge

@Mike Richards, it's getting tricky

"Today it's sub-standard components in television."

It's becomming increasingly difficult for manufacturers to source reliable components. There's a large number of knock off fake components being manufactured by dodgy rip-off merchants (mostly in China it has to be said). These are finding their way into the component supply chains, and it can be very hard to spot the fakes. Ironically, even Chinese manufacturers are falling prey to this problem. The fakes are naturally of lower quality, often don't meet the original specifications, or sometimes are just an empty package with the right printing on the top!

I don't know if this is what's happened to Sony with these tellys. But given the scale of the issue it will becoming increasingly common for consumer electronics to fail early, or potentially be dangerous in some way.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

UK page

Is at:

http://support.sony-europe.com/tvhc/hotnews/hotnews.aspx?site=odw_en_GB&f=inspection_programme

But the links to the service centres and the contact details you'll need to get your TV fixed, are, (typically for Sony), not working right now.

5. MJI Silver badge

Oh no a W series

And they were very popular.

Luckily mine is newer and bigger

6. silver fox
    Facepalm

When I was a lad...

....one place I would have loved to have gone to was the R and D labs at Sony.

Now, Sony is becoming a by-word for a big company that's completely f***ed up. Sad, when you know how they started, and what their ambitions were.

7. This post has been deleted by its author

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Amazing

A company that appears to be doing the right thing ?

OK - hang on, doing the right thing means not making product that combust in the first place.

9. Pete the not so great
    Childcatcher

Ah, wonder if that was the real cause of the fire in Enfield the other month

10. robcuk
    FAIL

Get Your Facts Straight?

1.6m TVs to be returned!

No, further into this waste of space it states: that although 1.6m TV's are possibly affected, less than 700,00 are in the UK but the company is offering any customers with the relevant model a free home appraisal.

So no return if not affected then.

Rob

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Curious

Re: robcuk

You registered 20 minutes before you posted the above comment so this is your first comment at the register.

You mention less than 700,00 (sic) in the UK, a figure I can not find in the article or at Sony's website. It appears that you have some insider information.

You don't work for Sony do you?

11. Trygve Henriksen

What, another Sony product catching on fire?

And here I thought they didn't use their Li-ion batteries in TVs...

12. Whitter
    Unhappy

Sony

Once a great company.

Now just a stream of problems.

Sad.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmmm

perhaps the fire a their distribution centre wasn't caused by rioters after all.

I suggest Sony install a rootkit on their TVs to call home with their location and model numbers - for your own good, of course.

Luckily I don't buy ANYTHING from Sony any more - for obvious reasons.

14. Svein Skogen
    Flame

IBM Should sue.

Sony has successfully implemented the rumored system/360 HCF instruction.

//Svein

15. April Rain

Ouch...

Thankfully I don't work at Sony's Customer Service call centre any more. There must be hundreds of calls in the queue this afternoon, and supervisors flapping around asking who wants to work through their breaks, etc. It was like that for lesser issues...

16. Mr Young
    Thumb Up

abnormality in your TV unit?

Adverts? X-Factor? Fox News? I expect a full refund now!

17. Hellcat
    Mushroom

KDL-40W3000!

What do I win?!

18. Allthegoodhandlesaretaken
    Facepalm

first the batterys and now the tvs....

Im thinking someone in whaever country now does product design for sony mis-understood when the boss said all their products should be red hot.

19. Steve X
    Coat

Fire?

I reckon it's just a sting operation to catch the folks who looted TVs in last month's riots...

20. Ralthor
    Trollface

KDL-40W2000

I never win the lottery either.

21. Jay 2
    Unhappy

KDL-40X3500

Wasn't on the list when I checked yesterday afternoon. Wife was reading BBC new website asked me if our TV was OK, I said yeah and said we had a KDL-40X3500, to which she then told me it was on the list! And so it was.

Official Sony blurb says to contact your regional service centre. It would appear that mine have given up even attempting to answer the phone and are just diverting to voicemail.

FIngers crossed it's OK...

22. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Really?>

Or did you make that bit up? There is no safety recall....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15272573

The company warned that a component used in eight different versions of its Bravia televisions may be faulty and could, in rare cases, overheat. However, it stopped short of issuing a full recall.

Instead Sony said that anyone who was concerned could request an engineer come to their home for free to inspect their TV.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like