back to article BlackBerry users back online after outage

RIM has been issuing a flurry of apologies for yesterday's network outage, which knocked out connections in Europe, the Middle East and India, and assures us that everything should be tickety boo by now. The outage started yesterday morning, around 10am, with users around the world who were reliant on RIM's servers losing all …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. fatty lewis

Possibly not?

I got an email from o2 Outage comms suggesting there is still an issue with BBM, at least on the o2 network anyway.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

and guess what?

BBM is down again!

3. Tubby21288
    Thumb Up

Being a blackberry user myself I wasn't to upset about it in all honesty. Its very rare RIM have any problems with there services. Being down for 12 hours after having my device for 2 years didn't bother me. Its like all things, eventually they fail. Its nobodies fault.

4. jonathan1
    Unhappy

Just to clarify...

Our corporate BES was knocked out by the outage yesterday too....

5. simpfeld

BES was effected for us

We use only BES BB's and a small percentage of users were effected (maybe about 4% of our users).

But I keep hearing BES users were unaffected. Is this just RIM spin to not try and hurt their corporate base?

6. Refugee from Windows
    Thumb Up

Serious

Must have been bad - seems our leader here actually got a full night's sleep, not being disturbed by by that infernal device. Has put her is a better mood.

More down time please.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

12 hours isn't the end of the world - first major outage that has affected me in about 8 years of Blackberry usage.

Makes me laugh when I see other forums with people saying they're going to dump their handsets because they couldn't use BBM for a few hours. Think some people need to get a life !!

8. simpfeld

Not that rare for this to happen!

Looking at our global BB infrastructure serious outages happen annually. There were large outages in 2007,2008, 2009, 2010 and now 2011. With the severity of this one looking like one of the worst (with time to repair being very high).

Also RIM were silent for a long time during yesterday. It would have helped for us not to be looking for faults on our infrastructure or devices!

9. Burner
    Thumb Down

Trouble persist at least today in Holland

Just to add:

Im in Holland on T-mobile subscription

Yesterday was all bad, no functionality whatsoever

Between 2 and 3 am regained some functionality

since 11 am lost all functionality again

My bb feels like and expensive paperweight now :(

1. Ben Holmes
      Joke

Now you know how us iPhone users feel, 24/7.

10. RichardB

Looks like a reg journo

is headed for the cells... incitement to riot on a grand scale

1. JeepBoy

Yup.

Now, I realise it's a joke, but a similar jokey reference about blowing an airport sky-high if his holiday flight was delayed led to an arrest under the terrorism act.

Just sayin'

11. ajsmith
    Thumb Down

BES services were affected, there are still issues

50% of our BES users stopped getting emails. The email service seems fine now, but there are still issues with internet and IM, and I am unable to activate new devices, presumably due to the BB internet issue. I have been a BB / BES user for 8 years and this is the worst problem I can remember, compounded by a lack of transparency (or interest to communicate with customers) from RIM. Get you act together please RIM

12. Trystan 1
    Megaphone

BES

Just to add that BES WAS effected for us too! Also Enterprise Activation failed when setting up new handsets.

13. MrTango
    FAIL

The article mentions that enterprise users were unaffected but our Vodafone supplied BES was definitely affected for most of yesterday...

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Also had corporate BES affected

Many of our users had problems receiving mail and we are all on BES. Nor could we activate new connections, even when using wi-fi.

15. Brian Davies
    Thumb Down

Out again today by the look of it.

Messages on my PC still not arrived on my BB.

16. Solomon Grundy
    Joke

Network Equipment

You didn't think RIM could install all that eavesdropping hardware for those Commie countries with out a little bit of an outage did you?

17. waltg

Oh no they're not!

blackberry owners at my work are back OFFLINE again today!!!

1. Wattsy
      FAIL

Confirmed 5 minutes ago by Vodafone tech support.

I think RIM need a status page thats easy to find!

18. John70

Percentage Availablility

Do RIM offer a 99% availablity?

No company can guarentee 100% availability.

If so that means out of 365 days of the year they are saying that their service could be unavailable for 3.5 days (84 hours).

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's down again apparently

20. John Young 1

And.... again....

Just received a text from Orange UK stating BB services are down again...

21. nny4lenore
    Mushroom

bes is affected as well. out enterprise bb are all down and have been since yesterday on vodafone

22. nichobe
    Alert

So does this mean that....

The RIM share price will go down for 3.5 days also?

23. Burner
    FAIL

Third day of Epic Failure

Third day now

Is there even anyone adressing to the problems at RIM??

I had little functionality again very early this morning (the Netherlands)

It even seems the downtime gets longer compared to yesterday and the day before

Also without any single notification from RIM or my provider tmobile

Two thumbs down!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like