back to article Think 2014 if you're waiting for 4G in the UK

The UK is trialling 4G technology, while the rest of the world is deploying it, because our regulator hasn't the resources to mediate between operators bleating about the injustice of it all. Like warring siblings the UK's network operators constantly cry foul, demanding the regulator redress historical grievances and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

oooh its new, must have that.

Can anyone tell my I should give a rats? What we have works fine even for the pointless toss like twatbook, cretinball clips and voting on Dancing With X Brother Out Of Ice. What are we missing out with LTE or is it just a case of greed for more of the same but faster and with a new TLA?

1. HMB

Astonished at Attitude

I'm just quite amazed anyone reading the register would have this attitude. As more people use wireless data, your apparently quick speeds on HSDPA will get slower and slower. Trends indicate continually rising data requirements and mobile latency is still an issue. Latency on LTE in trials has been comparable with fixed line internet and as such could have serious positive impact on services.

LTE is only going to make mobile internet an even more viable proposition to those who have been shunned by the BT monster when it decides who does and who doesn't get it's services.

Why do we want to make anything better?

Dear lord.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Thanks HMB, you did manage to answer the question in that rant.

The problem with the current deployment is that you rarely see good sustained speed. Will an even higher peak download speed help that? No, it'll just allow to watch clips in HD instead of standard def in those fleeting moments of good reception. Will higher peak download speed help prevent slowdown in busy cells? No. Will a rollout of new kit help with the weak and no signal areas? No because it'll be slapped into existing cells first.

More cells at 3G OTOH would give us better contention ratio in busy areas, better coverage at full data speed and reduce the areas with no coverage at all.

But wait – LTE has better latency which is a positive step. Now we can look forward to playing Doom on the train, chainguns ahoy. I’m still not convinced.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Can anyone tell my I should give a rats?"

I can't think of a reason why you should. In fact, why don't you save yourself the trouble and withdraw from the internet entirely as it seems that there is not much there that you are interested in? That will mean less bandwidth will be squandered while you give vent to your apathy and disdain, leaving more bandwidth available for other people.

How does that sound?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ah no news there! Good 'ol UK.. We are still stuck in the dark ages and with Victorian Infrastructure compared the the rest of the world...

2014 maybe 2016 more accurate!

1. 231jjhjjjj

Emmigrate to a different country then!!!!

Well if you think that we are stuck in the dark ages so much "compared the the rest of the world", why don't you emmigrate to a different country then instead of moaning and groaning about it here?!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Believe me... I would if I could afford to!!!

Except I have to pay for my kids and after that I am skint!

Not saying where I would emmigrate to however!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My lack of experience in the legal and political areas have led me to a misunderstanding it seems. I was under the impression that whilst parliament made law, it was the courts that decided what was legal or illegal according to its interpretation of those laws?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Stop whinging...

What happened in the past - is in the past - if Three were not there at the party then - well they did not get a share of the cake. The auction for the new frequencies should be made separately and quickly before we get left behind.

Perhaps finally the networks should be forced to 'share' the 4G frequencies / network - so they do not compete on coverage - they just compete on price.

The problem with the auction is - it's effectively a tax on us (the consumer) as those networks just have to pass on that cost to us and if it's too expensive the networks may not be able to afford to roll it out as quickly.

5. Graham 25
    Stop

How about they finish 3G coverage first ?

Given the huge swathes of the UK with large populations which still do not have decent coverage, they they should not be granted 4G until they have finished 3G infill.For example, one major commuter line into London, has large stretches of neither 3G nor 2.5G coverage and no, its not in a cutting. The whole of the Isle of Wight is no-go for O2 despite their alleged 100% coverage. The list is endless before one even start talking about motorway network.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

4G > LTE

According to the people who set these things - the ITU - HSPA+ is already 4G, so we can say the UK already has 4G coverage from the likes of Three etc.

If you mean LTE then better call it by name.

1. Bill Ray (Written by Reg staff)

Re: 4G > LTE

The ITU has agreed that we should be allowed to call LTE 4G, but only the American's think HSPA+ should warrent the term.

I drew pictures last time, which didn't help as much as I had hoped, but might make it a little clearer:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/06/23/wireless_disclosure_act/

Bill.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Riiiight

Having worked for a mobile telco in the UK, I agree with several of the comments.

I think the UK *may* have acceptable 3G coverage by 2020 or so, followed by home broadband speeds on part with what the rest of the world had circa 2003.

Lots of places have no coverage at all, including major motorways, much less highspeed access.

4G? Probably not in my lifetime.

The US announces a push for gigabit in every home, the UK announces a push for 2MB in every home. Huzzah!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like