back to article Steve Jobs: The Movie in the works

After tributes from world leaders and spontaneous commemorations at Apple stores, Steve Jobs is to be honoured as only America knows how – with a Hollywood biopic. Sony Pictures has made a magnanimous offer for the rushed-to-press authorised biography by Walter Isaacson, originally due to come out in 2012 and then at the end …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. RorschachUK
    Angel

Sony Pictures?

SURELY any movie of Steve Jobs should be made by Disney/Pixar!

2. Tim Brown 1
    Pint

Now lets the casting speculation begin

My pick of the A-listers to play Jobs:

Tom Cruise - a little short maybe but he's got the intensity

Russell Crowe - did Jobs ever go around punching people? If so Russell would be ideal

Stephen Fry - I'm sure he'd be great at explaining the technology!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

going on the way the media reported last week..

It seems like the logical choice for the director will be Mel Gibson.

4. Bunker_Monkey
    WTF?

How iOriginal!

5. DJ 2
    Flame

Please please please.

Portray him as the money grabbing con man, who's spiel enslaved millions while turning over all spare cash each year, for an underpowered device.

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

And I suppose HE wrote the script before he died.

Knowing the COMPLETE control freak that he was...I'm sure his lawyers will be looking over Sony's shoulders all the way...ready to sue the first person who re-writes a single word.

1. Sean Baggaley 1
      WTF?

"Knowing the COMPLETE control freak that he was..."

And Richard Stallman isn't?

How big a control-freak do you have to be to demand that (a) "everyone should" give their bloody hard work away for free, and (b) all said "free" contributions to a community MUST come with permanent licensing strings attached? On what planet is license-encumbered _anything_ "free, as in speech"?

If the GNUtards were truly as righteous and philanthropic as they claim, they'd just place all their work into the Public Domain. Job done.

(Yes, that does mean some will try to repackage and resell the work. So what? Penguin Classics have been repackaging Austen, Dickens and Shakespeare for generations, but that doesn't stop the original text being available in the public domain too. Just ask the folks behind the Gutenberg Project.)

Looks like Stallman and his worshippers are just as unwilling to let people do _whatever they damned well please_ with their software as he alleges Steve Jobs was.

Hypocrites.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Sean Baggaley 1

Hey Sparky...first of all...YOU'RE POSTING A REPLY TO THE WRONG ARTICLE...DUMBA$$.

Secondly...just where did I say I was supporting Stallman Iin my response?

This article isn't even about Stallman. Answer: NOWHERE...ar$ehole.

Don't much care for him either...or people like you putting words into my mouth...or in this case...my posting.

LEARN TO READ...WILL YOU?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wife + kids

I know that they are wealthy, but is anyone thinking about Jobs' wife + kids. Whoever gets to play Steve, its' unlikely the family will be happy. A book - just about OK, but watching trailers for the film on TV? Perhaps I'm getting soft in my old age...

1. dssf

"Think about the wife + kids"

Existentially, I'd have a HELLLVA hard time grieving a loved one if I were left a tidy sum over $300,000. They've got BILLIONS.

Besides, he was buddhist (not a perfect one by a longshot depending on whom you ask, but then who IS perfect?), and so he probably inculcated some of his learnings in them. They'll get over his passing, assuming they believe in rebirth/reincarnations/self-improvement/enlightenment/nirvanna, etc.

Grieving is overrated -- unless someone is suddenly and wrongfully taken. Planned, accepted demise/one's owndeath, well thought out in advance, is a helluva lot less painful. Anything after the fact in the way of constant grieving could be seen as pretentious theatrics and showmanship...

Don't get me wrong. I can even cry for deaths in film, but those are compressed into two hours. If I have a relative or loved one or best friend whose impending demise is known some time in advance, I'd try to spend what time I could if the friend is interactive/coherent and such. Besides, all the excessive grieving potentially could delay or undermine the corporeally departed's spiritual departure. Who are we the living ones to deprive the deceased of a trip away from this more than periodic space-faring ball that really is a hell-hole for probably 3/4 of its inhabitants?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Which kids?

The one he forced to live on welfare for two years while claiming he was sterile and couldn't be the father?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Balance

"Brennan-Jobs later reconnected with her father; she lived with him for a few years in her teens, and he paid for her to go to Harvard University, where she cultivated her interest in writing."

He obviously realised later on he should do the right thing - he was 23 when he denied paternity.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@balance

"he was 23 when he denied paternity"

Yes and that's more than old enough to know right from wrong and accept your responsibilities, instead of walking into a courtroom and telling bare-faced lies.

8. Dazed and Confused

Oh the beautiful irony

Android maker to make film about Steve Jobs.

9. defiler

Can we not just let him go a bit cold yet?

I mean really... I blame 24-hour news channels.

Oh, and I watched Pirates of Silicon Valley the other night as a kind of tribute on my AppleTV (that's been hacked to hell).

10. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

At such short notice! Where will they find all the tons of whitewash they'll need?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bill Gates

Do you think Bill G will get the same when he snuffs it?

Here's the plot:

1, Steal someone elses ideas for DOS

2, Build a load of crap on top of it.

3, Make sure it's crashy

4, Die.

1. Neil Cooper

>> Do you think Bill G will get the same when he snuffs it?

I'm sure he will, and maybe even more so.

I mean judging by the way Jobs has been elevated way past reality, its clear Americans have no memory and judge people's character entirely by their current wealth, totally ignoring anything else including the evil methods they used.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Holmes

Spoiler alert.

He dies at the end.

1. dssf

No, I've got another draft that says he ...

DOWNLOADS. Downloads into one of those fresh, young Number Six bodies. He certainly doesn't want to be Brother Cavil, Simon, or Doral, hahaha. He *might* have some fun as a Leoben, playing mind games on the tech execs of the world. But, a Number Six can go a lot more places than playing Xena or Hawaii Five-O, hahaha

Who gives a rat about cures when one can just change bodies. *I'd* probably come back as Sharon/Athena, though...(though, Boomer might not be *too* bad)...

13. LarsG

WHEN THEY RELEASE THE FILM......

An iPhone 4S with every McDonald's Happy Meal.

On the side of the box,

1. Who invented the computer

2. Who invented the mobile phone

3. Who invented social networks

4. Who invented touch screen interfaces

5. Who invented penicillin

Answer on box: Steve Jobs. So it must be true if its on the happy meal box.

14. LarsG

I LOVE

a good fairy story.

15. Eddy Ito

Wouldn't want it to go to waste

Strike while the hype is hot! Wait, do you think they learned it from Steve? He would be so proud.

16. I Like Heckling Silver badge
    Happy

Let the Disney animation dept make it, they're good with fairy tales.

17. mobing
    Happy

hope a wonderful movie of jobs !

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Casting

Diane Keaton can play his wife!

19. BoxedSet
    Coffee/keyboard

iDied the movie

How utterly ridiculous to make a film idolising the late Mr Jobs. Will we have the same levels of cringingly fawning behaviour when heads of other companies such as Samsung, Sony or Microsoft pop their clogs? I don't think so.... surely this is just another publicity stunt by Apple?

I thought there were plenty enough adverts on TV pedalling their dubious products to the technological sheep desperate for the latest shiny device. Hopefully a straight to DVD release along with the obligatory sequels, please not an iMovie 3GS (in 3D of course). FFS

The Apple fanbois and fangirls will be tripping over one another to attend such a momentous event with hysteria levels not seen since the last X-Factor final zzz

Move along now, nothing to see here.....

20. Bunker_Monkey
    Thumb Down

iMovie

(c)Michael A. Jones 2011 - Well no one else seems to have come up with it!

Apple, if you want it thats $10m please ;)

Like it'll happen!!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like