back to article Orange and T-Mobile join hands with 3G coverage

Orange and T-Mobile have extended their joint reach by making it possible for their respective customer bases to use 3G signals from both networks. When the companies joined forces under the Everything Everywhere banner in 2010, they underwent a "big switch-on" and opened up the 2G channels - voice, basically - to patrons …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Andy Scott
    Thumb Up

At last

It's about time they did it, though I did think that might be happening soon as the data seemed to be switched off on the Orange mast in Paisley( the one covering the town centre) last week for a few hours. Now lets see how long it takes to roll out though.

2. dotdavid
    Thumb Up

Good

Personally, the 2G roaming from T-Mobile to Orange has been a bit of a pain, as my phone sometimes helpfully picks a nice strong 2G signal over a mediocre 3G signal (when I'd prefer the 3G one as I'm listening to Spotify or whatever at the time).

3. deshepherd

Data as well?

Lets hope that they fix the current "glitch" in 2G sharing where if you roam onto an Orange signal from TMobile (probably vice versa as well I'd assume) then everything is ok for voice and text but to use the signal for data then in Android you have to enable "international data roaming" (there is a "national data roaming" option as well but you have to enable the international one for it to work).

4. Arnold Lieberman
    WTF?

Ain't no Virgins round 'ere

As far as I know, Virgin mobile is an MVNO running exclusively on T-Mobile's network, so it's not a question of sharing with T-Mobile then Orange, but that they just have to sort out their billing arrangements to get access to the Orange network.

5. Pub Singer Dan

It's seamless 2G roaming...

They've finally got round to getting seamless roaming for 2G.

From Digital Spy (plymouthbloke1974), the rollout dates are:

12th Oct: Gloucester and Midlands area

W/C 31st Oct: London and Wiltshire area, and down to Brighton area. North Wales, north west England and Scottish Central Belt.

W/C 7th Nov: Norfolk, NE England and Aberdeen area

W/C 14th Nov: Everywhere else.

3G roaming is expected to follow a similar rollout pattern, but will still drop the network when switching over.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like