back to article Panasonic DMR-HW100 HDD DVR

Panasonic returns to the UK DVR market after an abortive early foray, with a 3D-enabled, media-streaming TV recorder. Rather more convincing than the brand’s first generation model, the DMR-HW100 offers access to the online VieraCast portal, has jukebox functionality and is only slightly bonkers. Panasonic DMR-HW100 3D- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Gordon 10

Adverts?

On a piece of CE equipment that cost 300 notes! Do Panasonic actually want to sell the thing?

1. Iain Thomas

Erm, http://www.reghardware.com/2011/07/02/review_panasonic_tx_p65vt30_3d_tv/page2.html, looks like space for EPG adverts on a 4.5k 65" plasma.

Think a 10% penalty is too light, to be honest.

Regards, Iain.

2. Gomez Adams

Does it do audio transcoding?

Needed to get true digital surround through most (all?) AV amps.

3. HomeAloneonSaturdayNight
    FAIL

PVR adverts

I have a "Dual" brand freeview PVR that cost me £80 from Asda 5 years ago.

It has a full-width program guide with NO ADVERTS and a handy vertical red bar that tells me at a glance what is just about to start/finish, plus a thumbnail description of the program I am flicking past.

SONY/PANASONIC et al - pay attention to this.

I am ready to buy a freeview HD recorder.

I want it to be at least as slick as the Turkish PVR that sits under my Japanese telly.

I haven't bought a Radio Times in 25 years.The obtrusive ad on the left-hand third of my screen is not *ever* going to coax me to change my mind!

4. Robert E A Harvey

Internut

So, you can connect to Viera and view what they want you to. Big * deal.

If I am going to plug in the internut I want to be able to run a browser and watch everything I can on my computer, otherwise no deal.

5. tin 2
    FAIL

EPG Ads

Good on ya for knocking the points off, but could you make it more like 100 points next time? -15 is surely a score to make people sit up and take notice.

1. Michael Ross

FYI, when you set one of these up, ignore the invitation to put in a postcode. That way you won't get any adverts. You'll still have the annoying blank boxes wasting space on the left of the EPG but at least you'll be doing Gemstar out of a tiny bit of revenue.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Disadvantages

On a Samsung D7000, when you enter the post code, the set knows which region you are in - I'd guess this would be the same on the Panasonic ?

Oh, and on a Samsung you get the choices of their (slower) EPG or Rovi.

-> and no adverts on either <-

2. David Gosnell

Not sure how that can deprive anyone of revenue, on a one-way broadcast connection (i.e. no feedback possible to determine number of views etc). If it works at all (postcode entry sounds more like a Freesat-ism, in order to get correct regional variations) it will just be to hide the blighters.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why ?

"It has advertising slots - which Rovi, rather than Panasonic, benefits from - and doesn’t offer much of a view when you want to scout for upcoming shows"

Does not benefit Panasonic ? So, why are they doing it ?

This one issue is putting me off buying a £2500 55" Plasma TV from them. I might just have to buy a Samsung 51" TV out of principle.

I agree with the other commentors - I'd knock them 15% at least - you'll use the EPG every day on this product - they really need to be penalised for it.

7. Derichleau
    Facepalm

Read the reviews on Amazon before buying a Panasonic

I was recently going to buy a Panasonic Freeview HD recorder for my parents but was put off by all the people complaining about the adverts being displayed on the programme guide. It put me right off.

Also, if you look on their website you'll discover that the only way to contact Panasonic is to write to them by post. Why would you want to do business with such a company. There are better options. I went with a Humax eventually and my parents are really pleased with it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Contact

I agree with your comments on the EPG. Their web site (http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Support/Contact+us/220263/index.html#anker_222505) does offer the option of more modern method rather than post - using the telephone to call 0844 844 3899

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like