back to article TomTom ties up traffic with Top Gear

It had to happen - it's just surprising it has taken this long. Yes, a satnav company - TomTom in this case - has launched a TopGear-branded unit. The Go Live Top Gear Edition features the voice of Clarkson himself, chirped TomTom this morning. TomTom Top Gear satnav Well, they couldn't very well have used the Stig, could …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mark Forster
    Coat

At least it wasn't James May

what with his sense of direction and all....

1. Captain Scarlet

Thats a good excuse

Blame the Sat Nav because James May's voice was on it!

2. Lance 3

Forget his sense of direction, you will be well past where you were to turn as he went on about some topic.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Desperate

£50 app or £200 device ?

Could anyone realy stand a long journey with him wittering on in the car ?

3. Jacqui
    Joke

tomtom - field or into ditch

The pratt (tm) shouts out - ha! should have bought a rangerover like mine.

4. Graham Dawson Silver badge
    Coat

Joiing presumably thousands of others who have asked the same question...

No Stig option?

1. MrTree

Yes - there is a Stig option

1. David Kelly 2

The "Stig" Voice is Best!

On my Garmins I most like the Stig voice. You just have to know in translation Garmin interprets the British "Stig" to be American "Mute."

5. Elmer Phud

Is it almost christmas?

Oh great, a journey filled with the pontifications of that grate guru Clarkson.

(professional drivers they have on the programme are always amused at his lack of driving ability, "MORE POWER!!" does not solve everything)

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

One wonders what the robo-Clarkson has to say about speeding.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pedantry alert: it's just POWER

MORE POWER was, of course, the catchphrase of Tim "The Toolman" Taylor, back in pre-Toy Story days

1. BoldMan

woof woof!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Limited edition"?

I wonder if it's limited edition because single function satnav devices are a technological dead-end and gimmicks like this are a desperate attempt at boosting otherwise flat-lining sales figures?

1. J P

@ "Limited Edition"

Sat Nav sales at halfords down 9% in latest figures (and bicycle sales up 5%). Austerity bites... and I'd still rather have Brian Blessed if O/S map or Philips navigator atlas aren't to hand.

2. Gordon861

I've always found the standalone satnavs are better than the app based solutions.

But what most people have realised is that the roads of the UK and most of the EU don't change very much in the lifetime of the main unit so instead of buying a new one every year or so they hold onto them until they finally break and then replace them instead of upgrading the maps.

The other choice they make is to recycle their older units down the family line so their kids going off to uni or just starting to drive have dads old satnav instead of buying a new one.

9. JDX Gold badge

"For the "discerning one-off-the-wrist", more like…"

Clarkson doesn't do it for me, but if El Reg's writers find him arousing, good for them.

1. Richard IV
      Coat

Now we know why the Stig's overalls are white...

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Interesting, but there are better voices

Interesting, but I can think of better voices for a GPS:

William Daniels

Roy Skelton (with appropriate use of a ring modulator)

John Leeson

Peter Tuddenham

and sadly, one that is no longer possible:

Majel Barrett

1. N T Smurf
      Angel

Sadly, Peter Tuddenham died in 2007, and Roy Skelton passed away in June this year. Nick Briggs and his ring modulator would probably be up for it, though.

Haloes for the dear departed.

11. andy gibson

"better" voices

No, the only appropriate voices are default or none at all. "Comedy" voices are funny for about two seconds, unless you're Colin Hunt (see Fast Show)

12. honkhonk34
    Coat

I for one would pay good money for a Morgan Freeman satnav, for listening to his voice is to listen to golden, liquefied truth.

1. Graham Dawson Silver badge

There comes a time in a man's life when he has to bear left and take the next exit, but that time has, sadly, long passed for you. Son, you better slow down, maybe make a u-turn soon and get back on the road to your destination as soon as you're able. Okay.

2. Luna Tick
      Thumb Up

While I'm with andy gibson on the novelty aspect, this is probably one voice I would totally not object to.

13. Sly
    Coat

Portal game voice... GLaDOS

actually available already for several brands. I prefer my robots to sound like robots. no fleshy voices thanks.

/coat Mine's the one with the turret eye in the pocket.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like