back to article Visa muscles into Olympic pay-by-wave with microSD kit

Samsung's Olympic Phone won't be the only gadget able to make payments within the London venue next year, with Visa planning an operator bypass with microSD. Samsung's payment-enabled Olympic Phone will be sold around the world, according to Visa's latest presentation to European bankers that was attended by Pocket Lint, but …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Lee Dowling Silver badge

Planning.

You're joking, right? Less than a year to go and the entire payment system is still up in the air? You have "Paywave" only terminals that, as of today, not one person can PayWave on at all? And the only alternative strategy is PayWave microSD's that don't always work through mobile phone cases?

Can I please get a front-seat ticket to the fights at the venue's payment stations, or do I have to have a Visa card for that?

1. Shaun 1

"not one person can PayWave on at all?"

I can. My debit card has PayWave built in to it.

2. Tom Wood

not one person can PayWave on...unless they have a card

Many Visa credit/debit cards support PayWave... just not the NFC variant.

2. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

I assume that the micro SDs won't be allowed near the Olympic Games.

Being not the Official Wave of the Olympic Games - if they catch you in possession of one, they will confiscate it.

According to remarks on the QI programme, officials at recetnt-ish big public sporting and perhaps other events not ten thousand miles from here have supported their sponsors to the extent of confiscating non-sposnsored beverages, yogurts, and trousers from persons attending.

(Well, if you measure the ten thousand miles through the mass of the Earth and not the long way round, anyway.)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

NFC payment systems (with dubious security credenitials) rushed into service as a bolt-on with limited testing, at what will be one of the biggest global convention of criminals and fraudsters.

Can anybody see a potential for problems?

Anybody want to start a sweepstake on what the E-Crime figures for 2012 will be?

4. Gordon 10

Screw the operators

This is a great stick to beat them with.

Presumably they are delaying due to haggling over a cut of the proceeds.

If they are not careful they will get bypassed completely.

Afterall it's not like BT gets a cut of everything I order over their BB.

5. Robert Govier

Sounds like a good way of getting NFC onto phones that don't have it, but don't most people use their MicroSD cards to store files on? This will only work for me if they can produce a MicroSD card with some storage... preferably 32GB!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like