back to article Samsung, Google delay next-gen Nexus launch

Samsung and Google have reportedly cancelled next week's launch of the smartphone everyone expects will be the new Nexus. Samsung today said the two companies have "decided to postpone the new product announcement at CTIA Fall. We agree that it is just not the right time to announce a new product. New date and venue will be …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

"iPhone 4S release noise would drown out their signal?"

Baahhhaaaa...

Are you serious????

2. Jean-Paul

Wonder what the reason it

I can't see the point of postponing due to S Jobs passing away. Got to say, the specs (lets face it the only differentiator Android phones have) are rather meh. All this focus on how it may look, I do like the irony of that though :)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Meh?

The specs look pretty decent to me - the screen in particular, curved or not.

3. Michael Sheils

It's because of Steve, and Apple not postponing is because they can make hay from his death and that is the only thing that matters to them, especially after such a poor reception for the new iPhone.

1. Dave 142

I doubt Steve Jobs would want Apple to delay a phone release because he died either.

1. tamar1n47

i doubt steve cares about such trivial things anymore.

2. Jean-Paul

Poor reception?

Yes such poor reception...try and order a 4S see if you can get one ;)

4. petur
    Boffin

Source?

Everybody seems to repeat everybody else on this news... but where is the source?

5. Wang N Staines

Afraid?

Seems like they are not confident with their product.

1. senti

Heh

Of course they are not confident with their product.

I mean, just look at how bad Galaxy S II is, they must be ashamed of it ;)

6. Andrew Jones 2

It really is no different from the likes of E4 a few years ago not showing an Episode of "One Tree Hill" that features a shooting in a school - which rather unfortunately was due to be broadcast about a week after there had been a shooting in an American school.

There is no reason they could have broadcast the episode - but they decided not to out of respect - even though the families in America wouldn't have had any idea whether E4 did or didn't show it.

There are also some people suggesting the Jobs' funeral could well be on Tuesday and that a number of Google employees will probably be going to it.

7. Martin 72
    Meh

More like: 'If Apple's announcement wasn't the iPhone 5, then what's the rush?'. Maybe they don't have every little detail sorted and now feel like they've got time to polish it some more.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Windows

It's bent

I think someone must have pointed out that the phone in the teaser shot was bent ;)

9. HP Cynic

Is it sad that I was actually getting excited about this product and now am disappointed?

I think the timing was great as it would have stolen the thunder (or light splash) made by Apple's launch.

Oh well, no point speculating just hope they do an event when ready AND it's available in the UK.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh right

Steve's unfortunately passing away is going to be the excuse for everything now..

As BOFH would say I think this Nexus Prime delay is more related to solar flares.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You would think that with the huge gap that there inevitably will be between the thousands of people who want an iPhone 4S, and the dozen or so that Apple have allocated for launch that Google/Samsung's offering could make a good alternative to those people who have contracts up for renewal between then and when Apple get more phones in. (As well as the usual Android fan crowd of course)

'iPhone sold out? Well get a Samsung. It's just as good as an iPhone as these patent lawsuits show, plus they're actually available'

Well maybe not quite but you get the point.

12. Jamie Kitson

Or

Could they be hurriedly removing features to avoid supplying Apple with more ammo for patent disputes?

13. Alastair Dodd 1
    Mushroom

Sensible to wait for a week after 4s release right now

I'd do it just to make the coolaid drinkers new purchase stick in their craw ;)

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Obvious

The delay is because Samsung's CEO is preparing himself for the ultimate copy - by killing himself the day after the release.

15. nederlander

The real reason for this is the iPhone 5 announcement which will be happening on tuesday 18th.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Typo

You mean tomorrow the 8th, three days after his death Steve's resuscitates and announces the iPhone 5 - the real Jesus Phone.

You keep smoking that shit my good man.

16. Peter Wilkin
    Boffin

Samsung going to bump the spec's

I suspect Samsung are now re-evaluating the hardware (just like they did to the Galaxy tablet when the iPad 2 was launched)

I expect they will replace (the reportedly 5MP rear camera) with an 8MP or 10MP one, and probably bump the processor a little

Steve's death (and impending funeral) has not stopped Apple launching the iPhone 4S

So either Samsung is going to Bump the spec's , or Ice-Cream Sandwich has issues

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wasn't Samsung working on banning the sale of the 4S? So no rush now.

Anyway the real question is will ICS really be open source, or will Google pull a Honeycomb?

1. cloudgazer

The only place they stand any chance of succeeding with that is Korea, and even that is a long shot.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like