back to article Geeks chip in to fund nerd's space station gizmo launch

A self-described rocket nerd will be able to turn his International Space Station 'detector' gizmo into a product after fellow geeks chipped in thousands of dollars of investment. Nathan Bergey wired up a microcontroller to a set of lights so that they illuminate when the orbiting space lab passes overhead. Rather than …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ross R

Meh

Why not just make it a smartphone app? Oh wait a minute - the official NASA app already tracks the ISS, and a whole lot more.

Whilst I can understand the appeal of a dedicated object, I wouldn't pay for it.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What about Spy Sats?

Every time I start building my secret base .. curses foiled again

3. Parax
    Alert

Heavans above.

Why would he want a gizmo? when an app will do it? even better just make an Alert beacon (controllable via Bluetooth) that can be used by any number of apps, for any number of purposes.

(I give you this for free! its now public domain. patent trolls go home.)

4. Annihilator
    Meh

News?

Slow news day? From what I can tell, the device itself doesn't figure out where you are either. In effect he's built a light that will turn on and off based on timings that a PC gives it in batch, scraped from the Heavens Above website. A 3 hour job, max, on an idea that's already been done.

Not an "ISS Detector", or even an "ISS Predictor", more a "Light that switches on depending on a third party website". I wonder if Heavens Above are happy for him to make a retail product based on a resource heavy screen-scraping of their website? The fact they don't expose their data via API (hence his need to write a python script to scrape) should be enough of a clue that they don't want it done.

A quaint idea, but certainly no more impressive than any random Arduino projects that people do as hobbies on a regular basis.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

More money than sense

What a waste of chips and brains!

I'll stick with this http://www.heavens-above.com/PassSummary.aspx?satid=25544&lat=-33.733&lng=150.450&loc=Hazelbrook&alt=605&tz=AEST

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like