back to article Samsung and Google's next Nexus specs leak

Samsung and Google have yet to announce the next of their Nexus handsets - the debut is expected to take place next week - but the smartphone's spec has already leaked out. Samsung cranked expectations up a notch when it released the following teaser video yesterday which claims "Something BIG is coming" above an image of an …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ragarath
    Coat

I liked the video. Erm nothing else to say.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I expect

even this phone will face some stiff competition from apple.

1. Arctic fox

RE "even this phone will face some stiff competition from apple."

Possibly not, especially if an even more freshly baked set of rumours are to be believed. From the update to the article in the link:

"...............that 4.65-inch Super AMOLED HD display mentioned above is just about the only spec to make the final cut. The processor, however, is more likely to be a dual-core 1.5GHz Exynos (that's right) with an accompanying dual-core PowerVR SGX543MP2 graphics chip. That rear facing camera? Try 8 megapixels with a newly beefed up sensor. The handset should also ship with a girthy 2,050mAh battery fully capable of juicing this apparent LTE / CDMA / GSM Android monster."

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/06/samsung-galaxy-nexus-specs-leak-headed-to-verizon-as-an-exclusi/

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

By competition

... do you mean lawsuits?

1. Jedit Silver badge
        Thumb Down

And by stiff...

... I think he means Steve Jobs. Bad taste, sir, bad taste.

3. Ralph B
    WTF?

Trans-Genre Mix-up

Nexus Prime? Shouldn't that either Nexus 6 or Optimus Prime? Not some trans-genre transformeral Dicking about?

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

WTF? indeed

I can't work out what you're on about. You're talking about some movies... but why?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wonder if

The compass/motion sensor, voice search etc will work properly on this one??

5. Ian Yates
    Thumb Down

9mm

Can I have one thicker with longer battery life?

1. Random Handle

Yep, as with pretty much every Android handset where the battery is under a backplate - eg my old Nexus One has a 3200mAh

1. Ian Yates

Yes, but if it isn't official it looks like a grotesque tumor :(

I did this with my Hero, but didn't bother with the Desire. I can cope with 1 - 2 day battery, but would much prefer double that over a smaller/lighter phone.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

6. cs94njw
    FAIL

5 mega pixel!?!? When new phones are currently using 8!?

1. Anonymous Cowbard
      FAIL

5 mega pixel!?!?

Cos everyone knows it's all about the megapixels, doesn't matter about how the sensor is made or the quality of the glass at all. Oh no.

Fail for you, sir.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. g e

Go buy a camera instead

Unless you think you should be able to make phone calls from a Canon D5 maybe

7. Patrick O'Reilly

Clarity

There's a clearer picture of the Nexus Prime's curves here: http://i.imgur.com/KxQVG.jpg

The curve doesn't look as pronounced in this pic, nothing as extreme as the HTC Chin.

Fingers crossed for Atrix like dockable functionality.

8. Greg J Preece

And just like that

The iPhone 4S has its ass handed to it. Well, I say that as if it hadn't already happened.

1. Philip 5
      Thumb Down

Then...

..you don't understand why the iPhone is so phenomenally successful - it's about usability, not feature-bation.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

In what way? If we're comparing specs, the 4S apparently has a better camera, a better pixel density screen, is a smaller size, can go up to 64GB of storage (presuming the Prime has no micro SD slot like the previous Nexus) and still has the better selection of games. Hardly an arse kicking, unless you're a blind fanboy who refuses to acknowledge the failings of either platform.

9. ThePlanMan
    Thumb Up

that thing looks HOT. 1Gb RAM and HD video capture, now THAT's what I call a smartphone :)

10. RichyS
    WTF?

4.7 inches? That's a fecking tablet.

When will this madness in oversized phones end?

1. DrXym

When people stop buying them.

2. Stuart Elliott

Large screen

Personally, I think larger screens are a better thing, makes browsing the net on the go, that much more a pleasurable experience, though I've yet to figure out why curved screens are the next 'good thing' to have.. so, it contours my face a little better than a flatty, but big deal, is there something I'm missing ?

3. cortezcortez

You sound like Steve Jobs a couple of years ago when he said phones with screens bigger than 4 inches would flop.

How did that piece of futurology work out?

4. jbk

Screen size > pixel density (within reason)... at least for myself and several friends I have spoken with about this. I went from an HTC Diamond 2 to an HTC Desire HD. Both are 480x800 but going from a 3.2" screen (near the "magical" 300 pixel density figure at 292) to the 4.3" screen was amazing. To put it into perspective my main monitor is a 24" 1920x1200 where the pixel density is 94! Of course, better to have a higher pixel density than low, given the same screen size but I would never get anything less than a 4.3" now... and if they can get more usable space out of a very similar sized body then all the better. Easily fits in my pocket and makes using it so much more pleasurable. My very first thought on seeing the iphone 4 in the flesh was "poky little screen", despite the clarity.

11. Miek
    Linux

Wot? No Motorola Google branded device on the horizon?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

IIRC

... the merger hasn't been approved and most likely won't happen until 1Q12 at the earliest.

12. Peter 48

why curved?

I honestly don't know what the benefits are of having a curved screen. Sure it may fit better to your face, but wouldn't there be problems with reflections, portability, strength etc? Could someone please enlighten me?

1. Dazed and Confused

why curved?

Coz that way if Apple bring out a curved iPhone, Samsung can sue them for being copycats. At the moment Apple don't have a curved one so they can't be accused of copy them.

13. DrXym

Sounds great and expensive

I can't imagine a 32GB 1280x720 phone is going to be very cheap. Sounds like it will kick most other phone's arses in terms of its experience though.

14. LarsG

Maybe

Sounds like it may be a little bit BIG

1. Archimedes_Circle
      Paris Hilton

That's what she said

15. billium
    Unhappy

money for the trolls

M$ rubbing hands for more trolling bounty..

16. Magnus Ramage

But will...

it have rounded corners? Apple's lawyers want to know.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like