back to article Iomega Mac Companion external hard drive

If the name of this hard drive isn’t explicit enough, one look at it will tell you exactly who it’s aimed at. The brushed aluminium surround and smoky black top mean that it looks right at home sitting beneath an iMac or Apple Cinema Display. Iomega Mac Companion external storage Iomega's Mac Companion: storage plus USB hub …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mickey Finn
    Thumb Down

???

A new "pretty" Mac Compatible hard drive that does NOT include a Thunderbolt port.

Are they mad?

1. Fuzz

This is exactly what I was thinking. New Macs don't come with firewire ports and we're told thunderbolt is the future.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

They do

Only the Macbook Air is without FireWire, all other models (Macbook Pro, iMac, Mac Mini, Mac Pro) have at least one FW800 port.

2. MCG
    FAIL

Iomega!?

Too bad the name "Iomega" immediately makes me flash back to the endless upsets caused by failed Zip & Jaz cartridges and lost data.... never again!

1. david wilson

@MCG

My thoughts exactly.

Even if I was confident they hadn't actually made any of the important components, I still have a lingering mistrust that would put me off buying things with their name on.

They're like the Symantec of the storage world.

3. Mondo the Magnificent
    Meh

Thunderbolt & Lightning

I believe the reason for the lack of Thunderbolt support is the infancy of the interface itself

This is all about numbers and the majority of Macs out there just do not have Thunderbolt ports, so the logical choice is to focus on connectivity that appeals to the mass users' market. Rest assured that IOMEGA will ship a revised version out with Thunderbolt support in the not too distant future.

The fact that "You can’t connect to a computer using both USB and FireWire simultaneously." is a bit of a bummer, but I guess if you're using it as high speed data storage that may be physically shared with (as in unplug and moved to) other Macs, the Firewire connection makes more sense.

As per the article, the USB 2.0 interface should suffice for static use like scheduled backups and hosting iTunes content.

Oh, and yes, it pretty but there is some stiff competition out there for £/Tb value "if" looks are not an issue.

1. Dave Walker
      FAIL

Can't Connect *Both*? Try NewerTech

I was hoping that IOmega would follow the NewerTech Ministack; rest its departed soul....

They managed to have both USB and FW connectors.

4. Frank Bough
    FAIL

FireWire OR USB?

...embarrassingly bad. Not fit to plug into an Apple PC.

5. Dave 126 Silver badge

USB power

Seems a bit daft that the HDD doesn't charge USB devices when its connected to the Mac using firewire, when the HDD has its own power supply. It's a powered USB hub, so presumably the HDD cuts power to the USB hub when it doesn't detect a Mac connected by USB to save power.

No real biggie though.

6. Buzzword
    WTF?

How much?

Given that an Iomega Prestige or eGo 3TB drive costs around £150, how do they justify this £275 price tag? Is Firewire or a USB hub really worth £125 extra? Or is it just the Fanboi Tax?

7. Dave Jewell

Iomega - never again

Completely agree with other comments r.e. Iomega. I got badly burnt by these guys when Snow Leopard became available. They never released compatible drivers for Snow Leopard, and they were *INCREDIBLY* slow at bringing out drivers for Leopard. Which never allowed you to format the drive cartridge as HFS, by the way. In order to do THAT, you needed to boot up under Tiger, believe it or not!

Executive Summary: Iomega - AVOID.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like