back to article Americans offered sleep-monitoring datatouch card

T-Mobile USA is pushing out SleepTrak, a card which accumulates data on the user's sleeping habits and uploads it to a Nokia C7 for analysis. The card has been around for a few months, but the company told NFC Times it has only sold a few hundred units prior to the new endorsement from the carrier which reckons hypochondriac …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Daggersedge
    Meh

There's already an app for this

It's called 'Sleep Cycle' and it's on the iPhone. It works without an armband, I might add. I don't care what the lady in the video says, I would find an armband uncomfortable.

Did monitoring my sleep patterns help me to find out why I don't sleep well? No, I had already guessed the reasons, but it does help me to predict how tired - or awake - I will be during the day. It's a mildly useful app, but nothing to write home about.

2. Elmer Phud
    Boffin

a good night's sleep

suitable for a 'stalkers hack'?

pwn the phone, grab the data, ring up target at night when they will be asleep - repeat with text etc. etc.

3. Richard Pennington 1
    WTF?

And what else will it record?

And it is worn on the arm. I can imagine it recording something else for those who sleep alone!

4. Ben Norcutt

Hows does monitoring movement = being awake

Everytime someone moves or rolls over in their sleep doesn't mean they woke up but that is surely all this can monitor?

5. EddieD

Not all are hypochondriacs...

The waiting list for a sleep study in my health service area is approximately 16 months - it's a fairly intense procedure, full 12 wire cardiogram, eeg, respiration, etc, and the results take about another 11 months to come through, so something like this which could save some valuable spaces in the ward (7 beds) is to be welcomed.

My tests turned up negative for apnœa, but positive for insomnia, which is a problem.

1. Yann BZH
      Thumb Up

I agree

And could use a product like this for myself.

Can't see the point of this article being so negative about it.

2. Bounty

you-rolled-over-ogram

"The waiting list for a sleep study in my health service area is approximately 16 months - it's a fairly intense procedure, full 12 wire cardiogram, eeg, respiration, etc, and the results take about another 11 months to come through"

Do you think all this can be replaced by a you-rolled-over-ogram? I'd think if it could, the wait wouldn't be 16 months. I guess that won't stop someone from making a quick buck though.

1. EddieD

Of course not. But it could complement the months of self-assessment you have to do (sleep diaries) before your study to provide extra data, and possibly cut down the numbers going for the full study.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like