back to article NASA to recruit fresh batch of astronauts

Ever wanted to get into space, armed with your three PhDs or test pilot's licence, but nothing suitable comes up in the Jobcentre search? Well luckily for you, NASA is hunting for a new class of astronauts - but, be warned, new recruits may wait a long time to get into space. NASA is seeking astronaut candidates who will …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Meh

"extensive experience flying high-performance jet aircraft"

I hope these bureaucrats stop watching Battlestar Galactica.

How about extensive experience evading cosmic radiation? That would be more useful.

1. Dave Bell

It's more the complexity, and the sometimes limited time to react to a problem. And I can see NASA having work for astronaut-trained test pilots. They could do basic astronaut training, then work as a test pilot (with time for refresher courses), and go back to full-time astronaut when they are assigned a mission.

That's possibly too simple. But doesn't the RAF and USAF have pilots spending time doing desk jobs? Not just paperwork on the Squadron.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Go

@ Destroy All Monsters....

Hey, be thankful that the hiring committee removed "mastery of the living Force" from the hiring req!!

2. Andus McCoatover
    Windows

Every decade or so??

Part-time job. I'd be more than happy to nip up to the ISS, and ask "Who ordered the big Mac, and the Chicken McNuggets"?*

*I've no idea what part of a chicken is a McNugget, but if use my imagination...

3. Scott Thomson
    Thumb Down

Like the crew of Deep Space 9...

these guys will be boldly going nowhere.

4. Anonymous John

Well there are four manned spacecraft under development at present. I'm not sure what use there will be for all of them (assuming they all fly of course), but they will need crews. Although there will be non-NASA astronauts as well. Boeing is planning on using its own test pilots for the CST-100.

I can see the tourist trade taking off in the next five years. Very rich tourists, admittedly.

5. David Lucke

Its not just a matter of having a bunch of astronauts ready to go when the funding starts. Its a matter of passing on the actual knowledge involved and keeping that alive. If all the current astronauts are dead or too old to fly when the mars mission starts gearing up, there will be no one who can train the marsnauts. Its the same reason we keep slowly building new subs we may not really need, any why we're going to have so much trouble ramping up nuclear reactor construction, a lot of this stuff is very dificult to get from book learning, not least because its not written down, or written down assuming other knowledge that isn't written down because "everyone knows it". If you don't have live people to pass it on, the knowledge gets lost.

6. Zmodem

seems like ass scratching, chain smoking, rock n roll marines are a long time away

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

@ ZModem

Not really, I hear that Iron Maiden is going to buy out a ride into sub-orbit on Virgin Atlantic!!

1. Zmodem

iron maiden in space is not exactly aliens movie, a core platoon will be going whenever the first interstella craft is made with plasma railguns and a few nukes on board for safe keepings

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Prospective candidates must "...be between 62 and 75in tall"?

Oh good lord... measuring height in inches? I live in the US, and I have no clue if I'm in that range or not without using a calculator.

1. puffspluslotion

That says more about your math skills than anything else.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Holmes

One of the reasons....

....why the metric system is so much better. Funny enough, NASA does all its calculations using the metric system. The "inches" stuff they leave for public relations purposes.

Besides, that is the first test for candidates: do your math and get your size right. Astronaut pants are expensive.

8. This is my handle
    Joke

Finally, a little down time!

I was thinking about a mid-life (well, OK, a bit past that; is there an age range for astronauts?) career change since IT guys can never seem to get any time off, and had considered "Olympic Athlete". Unfortunately, I'm more the bookish type, so not very good at any sports. (US) Presidential candidate seemed good, but I'm likely much too honest and under-funded for that.

Plus, in both fields there's that "having to compete every four years" thing.

This sort of thing seems right up my alley though....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like