back to article Crooks beat anti-fraud cops with old-school bank scams

Payment card and banking fraud losses fell this year against a rise in cash pilfered through old-school cheque and telephone banking fraud, according to figures released today for the UK. Total fraudulent losses dropped to £169.8m between January and June 2011, down 9 per cent from £187m in the same period last year. Losses …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is appalling.

British fraudsters used to lead the world in hard work and innovation. I suppose this is yet another of our major industries thats being offshore'd to foreign call centres. For shame!

2. rurwin
    Joke

ROFLMAO

"DCI Paul Barnard, head of the Dedicated Cheque and Plastic Crime Unit"

Playmobil or it didn't happen!

3. SImon Hobson Bronze badge

Oh really ?

>> Your bank or the police will never cold call you or email you and ask you for your login details, cards or PINs

So why do I get phone calls from my bank (I contacted them to check and complain) who expect me to prove who I am before they'll give any evidence who they are ? They started with wanting me to give them half of my postcode, and they'd give me the other half as confirmation - and lets face it, it's not hard for someone to get my postcode. I assume (but didn't get that far) that once they'd proved who they were then they'd start asking me for security information. I don't think so.

And lets not forget that Paypal keep emailing their users with a link to login through. All the effort most organisations go to persuading people not to click on links in emails, and PayPal ask users to do exactly that !

1. Gerhard Mack

At least it's not email Interac

In Canada we have a service from the largest banks called Email Interac and the *only* way to get the money youve been sent is to click on the link in the email they send.

4. Eddie Edwards
    Thumb Down

Bullshit

"Your bank or the police will never cold call you or email you and ask you for your login details, cards or PINs. If anyone does, they are probably a criminal, so hang up the phone or delete the email."

Except the banks will, regularly. They'll call you saying there's some problem with authorization on your card, and then grill you for personal information to make sure it's really you they're talking to. If you say, "uh, you called me," you get treated like some kind of obstructionist wierdo.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Take your meds

please for your own sake.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Call them back

Just say you'll call them back, hang up and call the company using a known number.

No need to waste time complaining.

1. rurwin
        Facepalm

We do. And the person on the other end of the phone still treats us like an "obstructionist weirdo".

Then when we phone the bank back, half the time they have no idea why they called.

3. Simon Harris

I always thought it would be a good idea if you could set up a PIN with the bank that they had to tell you when they call, so you could be reasonably certain it actually was them before handing over any more information.

5. Anonymous John
    Unhappy

Mwah ha ha!

"Your bank or the police will never cold call you or email you and ask you for your login details, cards or PINs."

My bank phoned me once and asked for my mother's maiden name so they could be sure they were talking to the right person. And couldn't understand when I refused.

1. Microphage

re: Mwah ha ha!

> My bank phoned me once and asked for my mother's maiden name so they could be sure they were talking to the right person. And couldn't understand when I refused.

If such happens, you ask who you are talking to, then hang-up and then phone the bank using a verifiable number, then go through the question-and-answer session. That way you get to verify you are talking to the band and the band gets to verify they are talking to you.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like