back to article Apple stuffs Intel desktop CPU into iPhone 4S ad

Apple's new iPhone 4S contains a chip the Mac maker calls the A5. But if a pic of the beast included in the 4S advert shown at the handset's launch is anything to go by, the A5 actually contains a pair of Intel 'Nehalem' processors - aka the first-gen Core i7. Here's a snap from the Apple event, taken during the commercial …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tom Chiverton 1
    WTF?

or, just a thought

the ad company fucked up.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

you've never worked on an Apple Ad...

2. N13L5

ad company fucked up - again...

remember the "Think different" ad campaign?

Steve Jobs later on:

"We didn't mean that,

that was just the ad agency going out on a limb.

If you think different, we void your warranty"

2. Silverburn
    Joke

Lol

Wow..apple literally copying another manufacturers processors...the irony is so juicy, it makes fruit pastilles look bitter...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Has to be a 'shop surely? Unless it's part of a deal with Starbucks for iFans to keep their coffee warm?

4. Dazed and Confused

Oh dear, poor Intel

If this picture comes from an Apple presentation, Intel's whole fab operation will be shutdown by injunctions by sometime tomorrow as Intel are clearly stealing Apples chip designs.

I like the idea of 16GB of L3 cache though, perhaps I could live without having any RAM then.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Endgadget fail?

Seems this slide was only on the endgadget site/blog and was put in with their own slide of the antenna. Neither slide was in the Apple keynote, though there was a different version of the antenna with a ghost outline of the phone over it.

Other pictures of the A5 (and it's in the iPad 2 remember) show it as a Samsung made ARM with twin processors.

1. andreas koch
      Holmes

@AC 2030h

Beg differ, the image is in the Apple keynote video, just after Bob Mansfield speaks about the biggest advancement being in the performance at about 2 minutes into the video.

I can only be sorry for Intel now, they have it coming at them.

6. Gary F

Battery life?

An hour if you're lucky. But it will keep your nads very warm as the cold nights draw in.

1. Elmer Phud

there's a app for that

it's called iBollocks

1. Silverburn
        Happy

iBollocks?

Methinks having piping hot hardware in your nether regions for prolonged periods would make the name iSpermKillers more appropriate.

7. salada2k
    Stop

Since when

Can Intel I series run ARM code?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Iphone 4S Video, http://www.apple.com/iphone/#video-4s

A5 die presumably at 2:05

Keynote, http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/11piuhbvdlbkvoih10/event/index.html

Nehalem die at 89:30

9. tmTM

The lawsuits, the lawsuits!!!

Give it six months, there will be a que of people suing apple who've burnt their face off with the new iphone.

Intel hardware runs seriously hot, I would have thought it'd take some genius effort to put it in a mobile phone.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like