back to article Core facts: Windows 8 truthiness dissected, Mango sliced

With 500 new features, Mango's a juicy release for Microsoft's Windows Mobile team: third-party application multi tasking, HTML5-compliant browser and video voice mail. But with the iPhone 5 looming, technology alone won't help Microsoft close the gap on Apple or on Google's Android. In this MicroBite The Register's software …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Question (without listening yet)

Does Tango mean Mango, or is Tango the next edition after Mango? And in that case, aren't they in danger of running out of names pretty quickly? Bango, Fangio, Fandango and Washan(d)go, and the bottom of the barrel is nearly scraped -through-.

1. RightPaddock

plenty of go in the old dog yet

Winnebago, drongo, flamingo, impetigo, abednego, jingo ....

they should have bought RIM when they got Skype

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You nailed it...

Windows 8, "Impetigo".

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmm

"With 500 new features"

How many of them will work?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

RE:500 new features

"With 500 new features"

How many of them will work?

-----------------------

.. if the past performance of Micros~1 is anything to go by, it will go something like this:

500 features promised, 100 delivered, 10 work, I'm being generous here, and you know it.

Next, SP1 will be rushed out with little to no testing, even by Micros~1 standards. Even though SP1 will fix the biggest and nastiest issues, the masochistic 'early adopters' and others will still be losing data, losing productivity, moaning, gnashing teeth and generally having a pretty bad time of it. SP1 will likely introduce a few more nasty bugs as well.

Eventually SP2 will be out and Win8 will be around 60% to 80% of the quality of the last release of Windows. Whereupon all the Micros~1 fanbois will whoop and rant about how much better Win8 is than ANYTHING ever in the history of the universe.

Meanwhile users of other operating systems will chuckle to ourselves while we use real OSes that work and have all of the features that came with previous versions plus new or improved features from the current generation. That is to say Linux and for the most part Apple software does not mysteriously lose some of their most used features when a new version comes along.

Don't shoot the messenger, you asked.

3. johnwerneken
    Trollface

gee. too bad for linux mean gnu i mean unix i mean multics...or is it plan 9...the amoeba that would not die lol

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      WTF?

Why are schizophrenics in need of medication posting here?

Do hospitals waiting rooms have internet access?

1. revdjenk

waiting room internet?

Most in the US have it, yes.

1. AdamWill

obligatory rimshot

with the amount of time you're going to be in there, you'll need it.

2. revdjenk

... and ...

And most schizophrenics have at least two accounts.... ahem.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

maybe

But the rooms DO have wireless.

4. Jacob Lipman

Dynamics

Always a fascinating listen.

One friendly bit of criticism - Gavin, you speak rather softly. Mary-Jo, you... do not. I sometimes find myself straining to hear Gavin, then cringing away from the speaker when Mary-Jo speaks. As a result there's a lot of time spent changing the volume. A little bit of extra editing work could make this a non-issue.

Thanks for the nerd-knowledge entertainment!

1. Kai Lockwood
      Megaphone

LEVELS!!!!

PLEASE for the love of god! Check your recording levels!

If I get marked down on my community college podcast assignment for being too soft, then as professional bloggers, Gavin and Mary Jo should be able to balance their recordings!

5. William Old
    Mushroom

Windows Mobile phone bought in Truro - flagship MS phone OS sales doubles...

"... and how Microsoft's really betting on Tango to bring Windows Mobile to a mass market of smart-phone hold outs."

CONGRATULATIONS! It's extremely rare to see the phrases "Windows Mobile" and "mass market" in a single sentence... :)

6. Charles Calthrop

really good content, as ever, but it sounds like he is stoned, face down in the bottom of a distant soundproofed well, and she is standing just behind me working out whether the megaphone can broadcast even louder.

1. Jacob Lipman

I wasn't going to be quite so... vehement, about it. But it is rather hard to listen to. It's entertaining and enlightening, listening to two intelligent people discussing Microsoft and its place in the market. Please make it easier!

7. LJRich
    FAIL

Jesus Christ

Yet another episode (all of them, so far) I can't listen to because Gavin talks like he's reporting from inside a roll of the BOFH's carpet and Mary-Jo sounds like she's speaking through a bullhorn.

E-minus. Must Try Harder (See me).

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like