back to article iPhone 5 a no-show at Apple's 'Let's talk iPhone' event

Apple surprised nearly every pundit who was breathlessly following its "Let's talk iPhone" event – it didn't introduce an iPhone 5. The event, held on Apple's Cupertino campus in, spent over an hour and a half detailing iOS 5 and iCloud, which had both been described in great detail at Apple Worldwide Developers Conference in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ted Treen
    Thumb Up

Good article

Factual, no slant put on by journalist; that's more like it!

2. Annihilator
    Meh

Biggest "meh" ever?

So... pretty much a software update? I expect that Siri could easily run on an iPhone 4, but damned if they'll let that happen.

1. Andy Baird

Siri on iPhone 4

"I expect that Siri could easily run on an iPhone 4, but damned if they'll let that happen."

It runs on an iPhone 4 right now. An earlier version of Siri has been available in the App Store for well over a year. I have it on my iPhone 4, and it works fine. I just gave it the same task Tim Cook used in his demo today, saying "Find me a Greek restaurant near here." It came up with a dozen, listing them in order of closeness, then mapped their locations and offered to call any one of them for me.

Siri is currently missing from the App Store, and when I launched my older copy today, it said "I've been replaced! The new Siri is even smarter and better looking than me, and waiting for you on the iPhone 4S. I'll be leaving for home Oct. 15th." I don't know what that last sentence means--this version will stop working? The new version will appear in the App Store? We'll have to wait and see.

Granted, it's *possible* that Apple will forbid the new Siri from running on older phones, but I'd be surprised if they did, since the old version has been doing just that for more than a year. In case it wasn't obvious, Siri's intelligence is all at the server end, not on your phone. Like Dragon Dictation for iOS, the Siri app just records your voice and passes it on; all the heavy lifting is done elsewhere. That means Siri doesn't need a lot of horsepower in the phone.

1. Annihilator
        Unhappy

@Andy Baird

I'd be prepared to be surprised. If it were available for all, shirley Siri would be currently telling you that "I've been replaced! The new Siri is even smarter and better looking than me, and waiting for you on iOS5"

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Siriusly

"Find me a Geek restaurant near here" is probably more of a challenge :)

1. AceRimmer1980

I am sirius

and don't call me Shirley.

3. Henry Blackman

Did you even see the announcement?

The antennae is not the same - it's actually now two for mobile comm - and the iPhone 4S will automatically switch between the two depending on which gives better reception. Not that the iPhone 4 had an issue that was worse than any other phone!

1. Silverburn
      Terminator

Spotted that too...

...and I had a right old laugh too!

Only thing not expect was Siri...that'll be interesting to see how actually useful that is in the real world. I actually see many uses for this...if it works.

1. miknik
        Trollface

It will be very useful in the real world

Because instead of telling me how much they love their iPhone the fanbois will now be able to have that conversation directly with the iPhone, thus leaving me out of the equation. This is by far the most excited I've been about a forthcoming iPhone feature for a long time!

1. N13L5

Yay for SIRI...

a sizable reduction in world wide noise pollution from the degraded consciousness of Apple fanbois who misunderstood the meaning of 'love' and 'worship' so completely, they direct it at an inanimate object.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

re: Spotted that too

"Only thing not expect was Siri..."

Actually, that was expected - particularly with the negiotations that Apple had been rumoured to be in with Nuance. The first talk about this kind of voice control in iOS started about 6-7 months ago.

2. Bear Features

ahh Henry... get your wallet out, Steve would be proud ;o)

3. hazydave
      Boffin

The diversity antenna system is long overdue in an iPhone. But this is standard operating procedure for most handset designers... most smartphones have had this for, well, since there have been smartphones.

Apple's failure wasn't simply using a single antenna in a world where the performance of diversity antennas was long established for something held in a hand (and with the 4G folks moving to full MIMO), but the fact they chose form over function by making the antenna also the metal edge of the original iPhone 4. That was particularly stupid given that, with the glass backside of that device, they could have had any number of higher performance antennas under that glass with no attenuation.

4. Joe K
    WTF?

I think i speak for everyone when i say..

...WTF?!

5. kparsons84
    FAIL

Go fleece them Apple!

Haha. Not so much a revolution, you'd hardly even call this an evolution. Apple are too ashamed themselves to call this the iphone5!

But who cares, just wait and see all the saps that queue up like sheep to dump their iphone4s for one with a faster chip and an S on the end.

Apple will be laughing all the way to the bank, I'll just be laughing :)

1. Silverburn
      Thumb Down

If you're gonna bait the fanbois...

...at least come up with something original, witty or clever. Hell, I'd even settle for a new joke.

Talk about tired and cliched baiting...sheesh. Score? 3/10

6. tmTM

Wise move?

Apple have produced what is probably going to be the fastest smartphone of the year, but lumbered it with last years looks and more importantly last years screen size.

When everyone else is moving to 4" and larger and people enjoying the extra size why have apple stayed small?

1. GitMeMyShootinIrons

Well....

Firstly, historically, you had the 3G followed by the 3GS that looked the same but was somewhat souped up, so it's hardly surprising (cutting through the usual rumours and hype) that we have a 4S following the 4 that looks the same but soups up the specs.

Personally, I'm not a fan of phones getting even bigger - it doesn't make them better, just bulkier, so I'm fine with the size remaining the same.

As for last years looks? Funny how many handsets look remarkably similar. I don't mean that in a bad way - there's only so many ways you can peel an apple.

1. Ralthor
        Joke

Re: Well...

"there's only so many ways you can peel an apple."

In soviet Europe... the apple peels you!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: Well...

Shurely that should be;

In Soviet Cupertino, Apple peels you!

2. Dusty Wilson
          Flame

No, Apple peels you no matter where you are.

2. magnetik
        WTF?

"As for last years looks? Funny how many handsets look remarkably similar. I don't mean that in a bad way - there's only so many ways you can peel an apple."

Funny, Apple don't seem to think so, just ask them what they think of Samsung ...

2. Dazed and Confused

too soon to call

> Apple have produced what is probably going to be the fastest smartphone of the year

its a bit soon to start making prediction like that.

out in the competitive world where you have to try and find a way to win over customers, the remaining near 3 months left of 2011 is likely to see a whole new generation of models and speed improvements are most likely to be an area where there will be competition.

Still being the fastest model at the end of the day you were launched on ranks as a success, but its best not to set your sights unrealistically high.

Besides aren't all the predictions pointing to an iPhone5, surely that will be greater than the 4S.

Of course, why launch a 5 when you can persuade a sizeable chunk of your customer base to buy a 4S this week and then get them to buy 5 in a couple of months too. Gotta keep those green backs rolling in.

1. hazydave

> its a bit soon to start making prediction like that.

In particular because there are already phones out with faster CPUs. The A5, despite the photo, contains dual ARM Cortex A9 cores. The iPad clocks them at 1GHz, possibly a bit lower. Now of course, Apple doesn't like to talk about these things, but in the past, the iPhone was downclocked a 100MHz or 2 from the iPad. So this may have wonderful battery life, but it's CPU-wise slower than any number of 1.3-1.5GHz phones, also based on the ARM Cortex A9 dual core, and already shipping.

CPU-wise, Apple's certainly ahead of the nVidia Tegra 2, but that's not a shock... the Tegra 2 itself is being replaced soon, and everything else coming out, from TI, Samsung, etc. is already faster than the Tegra 2. Apple's using a dual core PowerVR SGX 543... but of course, anyone can buy this core from Imagination Technologies, there's nothing "Apple" about it. And stack as deeply as MP16, if they like. The TI OMAP5430 and OMAP5432 (ok, the OMAP5 is also using the ARM Cortex A15.... maybe not the chip of choice for mobile, yet) use this GPU, for example... and the Sony Playstation Vita (2011 in Asia, 2012 here) sports the MP4 version (four core). And PowerVR is just one of the GPU makers.. the mobile GPU market is getting interesting.

3. Giles Jones Gold badge

Not everyone wants to carry around a huge slab of a phone. Not everyone is so geeky as to watch loads of videos in public when there are people around to talk to.

I can barely get my iPhone 4 into my trouser when I go out, not wanting to wear a coat in a nightclub I want to put it in my pocket with my keys and money. A bigger phone would just have to stay at home. I'm not going to wear a bum bag just for a phone.

1. Zack Mollusc
        Facepalm

"I can barely get my iPhone 4 into my trouser when I go out"

Are you wearing hot pants or something? Buy some trousers that fit.

4. Christoph
      Holmes

Battery life?

"Apple have produced what is probably going to be the fastest smartphone of the year"

The power to do that has to come from somewhere - will it also be the fastest at using up the battery?

5. John I'm only dancing

80's brick

They were big.. didn't have a decent screen. I much prefer a phone that fits in my pocket and makes calls. Anything else it does is just one more thing to go wrong.

7. fcle
    Big Brother

"The 'S' stands for sad"

1. GitMeMyShootinIrons

Does that mean....

The Galaxy S2 is twice as sad....?

1. Graham Dawson Silver badge

@irons

Given the way its "family" has been treated by apple...?

8. Generic_Web_Guy

So it's still made of bloody glass?

What happened, their eggshell supplier let them down??

9. Rob Beard
    WTF?

So hardware wise they're catching up with Samsung and the Galaxy S 2?

My mate who was waiting for the iPhone 5 will be a bit gutted :-P

Rob

10. Steve Evans

Gotta laugh...

The only company which insists on taking its website down to put in an update and when it finally does come back trying to go to http://www.apple.com/iphone/features results in:

Access Denied

You don't have permission to access "http://www.apple.com/iphone/features" on this server.

1. dannypoo
      Thumb Up

That one's Akamai. Shows up when an origin server is struggling under the load and doesn't respond quickly enough

11. nohatjim
    FAIL

I see no point upgrading from my iphone 3gs. In fact I would move to another manufacture if my car didn't only have iphone connectivity. I will have to wait for my next car upgrade. I just don't like the iphone 4 shape

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@nohatjim

I too will not be upgrading from my 3GS to a 4S. As with you I don't like the shape of the iPhone 4 and as my 3GS does all I want and will be capable of running iOS 5 (and being out of lock-in costs me £13 a month) I see no point in jumping ship either.

1. Annihilator
        Unhappy

@Lee

"my 3GS does all I want and will be capable of running iOS 5"

I really wouldn't be so sure... it'll install, yes, but it'll probably run like a dog, like iOS4 did for the 3G.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@Annihilator

Well. it will cost me nothing to wait and see - but hey, if you want to hate for hate's sake, be my guest.

1. Annihilator
            Stop

It may not cost you anything, but it'll be irreversible if you do update it. Personally I'd hang back and let someone else be the guinea pig. Wished I'd done that on the 3G anyway.

No hate, just experience.

12. OrsonX
    FAIL

4S

so much FAIL, such little time!

13. onerob
    Go

Fail?

Oh I dunno, it's a pretty tasty thing if you ask me: http://www.apple.com/iphone/#video-4s

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can anyone say...

...massive letdown.

Hahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahah

hahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahah

hahahahahahahahahahhaha.....repeat ad infinitum.

15. minky
    Unhappy

But, but, but...

where's the Magic and the Revolution...?

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Joke

There's a shortage.

All the Magic is being used to get the European Central Bank's balance sheet to add up. Supplies of Revolution are being stockpiled by hoarders in the mediterranean countries of the EU for some reason.....

16. Mondo the Magnificent
    Facepalm

Bwahahahaha!

I now expect a new article titled "1 reason why you shouldn't buy an iPhone 5"

1: - There is no iPhone 5!!!

Well, thank goodness I wasn't holding my breath....

17. Absent

I commented that the "Let's talk iPhone" tag line meant voice integration was the main feature of the announcement but got shot down for such a suggestion.

Apple are playing catchup with the rest of market now rather than innovating. The 4S is a stop-gap 'cos the 4 has fallen behind and the no-show of the 5 I'd guess means there's some problems with the real world delivery of the device. The iPhone 4 now feels like a generation behind something like the Galaxy S2, maybe this is all behind the litigation delaying tactics of the patent disputes.

One of the worst PR years for Apple in a long time?

1. Steve Evans

I didn't shoot you down - I don't remember actually seeing your comment!

I wouldn't be so sure that the lack of anything "wondrous" was a problem with real world delivery of the 5 as much as the real world problem of nobody with any sense (yes I know this usually excludes Apple shoppers) would want to go spend iPhone 5 kinds of money on a new phone right now!

If they can keep moving the smoke and mirrors about and convincing their loyal shoppers that the 4S is the one everyone has to beat and take their wedge of cash from them, then why not. The fact there have been better phones than the iPhone option for several years doesn't seem to matter when you're facing with the Apple PR machine.

18. Paratrooping Parrot
    Mushroom

Could it be because of a fault with the A5 processor? I heard rumours saying that it can be rooted and that Apple cannot do anything about it without fixing the hardware in the processor.

I don't know much about iPhone hardware, so I don't know if this processor is in version 4 or 4S.

1. theblackhand
      Alien

Re:CPU no show

Not sure if it is a fault with the CPU - TSMC's 28nm HP process is expected to be around 3-6 months late. If Apple were planning a A15-based part in a similar power envelope to the A4/A5 they may have been relying on TSMC.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

Not supprised - next year then 5s after that to fix the bugs perhaps there timetable

Given there release cycles this isn't a suprise and makes sence.

What I was supprised to see was them absorbing android featues like the notification, voice and lattitude and lets not mention the IM. One can only presume they will then use these as examples of Samsung copying them further along with other andoid handsets.

Only real question I have from this is can it make phone calls unpar with disposable nokia handsets and if so good for them.

20. mraak
    Coat

Breaking NEWS!!

Microsoft to release revolutionary tablet in 2012

1. Martin
      Happy

Revolutionary?

You mean it'll be round? I guess even Apple won't complain it looks the same then...

21. davemcwish
    Paris Hilton

I sure the fanbois will be wetting themselves

over Apple repeating with the 4 - 4s what they did in 2009 with the 3g - 3gs i.e. Faster processor, upgraded camera, voice control and increased storage; ok I suppose I should add the new antennae. They'll still buy it and make Steve & Tim happy and rich.

Paris:- Even she could spot that it's not the iPhone 5 fanbois expected that would crush all competition.

1. Absent
      FAIL

"the new antennae"

As you know, the new antennae is just a spin doctor style way of saying they've corrected the fault they never admitted was inherent with the old antennae.

1. hurtlebum
        FAIL

Antennae? Is this a bug?

Bugs have antennae, the plural of antenna in the RF world is "antennas" please. I see your fail and raise you a fail.

1. Graham Dawson Silver badge
          Coat

It's not a bug!

It's a creature!

22. LarsG

So what.

Just got back to the UK, 6 months away with only a Sat phone for comms, so the iPhone looks just like an iPhone, life's bigger than obsessing over it. Try living without running water,leccy, and worse a flush toilet. Perspective!

23. Seanmon
    Coat

Because...

it would be known forever as the KnoxiePhone... released on the same day...

OK, gone.

24. Joe K
    FAIL

Biggest bait/switch ever?

And what about the Iphone Mini eh? EH?! So many stories about "solid info" on those things.

I have to wonder if all those case/board leaks were all now fakes.

And i also wonder if all those case manufacturers have thrown out cases based on this in the hope of getting early adopter cash, and they are now only fit for a landfill.

25. ratfox
    Thumb Down

So what have we learned today?

Pundits predicting Apple announcements are shit. I wonder if they feel ashamed of their naked linkbaiting.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Strange..

Apple normally targets aspiration, and their products normally reflect this by looking different. In this case, it isn't. Is the Apple thing now to be seen talking to your phone?

Also why is Siri such a big deal? The Galaxy S2 has Vlingo on top of Android voice recognition. Am I missing something?

1. JaimieV
      WTF?

Imagine!

Talking to your phone. What a curious idea.

27. Ilgaz

Siri thing is big deal

Of course, not impressed with speech recognition. My 2008 Symbian E71 can do it, even for free (app from ovi store).

What matters is, we have a location/context aware search engine that can respond to natural language queries. Don't let iphone/cool speech recognition divert you from this fact. Apple has just announced a way more complex and advanced search engine than Google. Don't forget the companies will line up to get into results, perhaps even paying for it.

Absolutely sure Google folks look at it very differently.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Might be wrong here mate but looks very much like it uses Google maps for location based searches, fail.

1. Ilgaz

It is getting service from Google

Google maps, Nokia maps doesn't matter. What matters is the first example of natural query and context aware search engine.

2. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
      Boffin

Innovation?

Android has had language-driven, location-based search with the heavy lifting of the voice recognition done by a cloudy back-end for a long, long time. Apple are not innovating with this, just copying existing best practice.

GJC

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well at least it'll give a much needed break to the "Apple - style over substance" frequent commentards.

The 4S packs a lot of substance (until Tegra 3 comes around to smartphones) under the same old style.

But I'm sure the real die-hard ones will find something else to pick on.

1. NetworkGuy
      Big Brother

never been a die-hard, but ...

If I buy a phone (or get one in a contract), I just want to turn it on and use it. Am I right in thinking I MUST have iTunes to get any of the iPhones to work ?

It isn't software I use, I don't even want to install it, and as I happen to use some incarnations of Linux, am I stuffed because I don't have iTunes ?

Don't get me wrong, I have the odd friend using Apple kit, and know they are 'very keen' about the things 'just working' but I don't have the wish to buy either Apple or Windows kit just to get an iPhone to work for me.

(OK, I bet someone in CPW would do something to get it up and running, but transfer of MP3s to my Android phone (using a microSD card) and an MP3 player via USB are easy.)

29. Ian Johnston Silver badge
    FAIL

You've missed the really good bit

This iPhone, in a shocking break with tradition, is going to be available in black and white from the start. So the fanboiz are going to have to buy two tomorrow instead of getting the black (or white) one now and then orgasming again when the white (or black) one comes out in six months' time.

30. Fuzz

Is this voice control thing new?

I just checked and my windows phone can find me a local greek restaurant.

Turns out voice control isn't all that. It's a great party trick to show off to your friends, but I didn't use it when I had an Ericsson T28 in 1999 and I still don't use it today.

31. Anthony Hulse

Worth an upgrade?

From my 3GS yes, but if I had a 4 I'd probably not bother. Still, my contract term is up and it's all tax deductible so why not eh?

I take it we get it in the 14th October batch of countries?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

and there I think is the reason why Apple seem to be working on a 24 month major upgrade cycle - because that's how long most people are tied into their contracts.

32. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Google Voice Search

Using Voice Search on my HTC Desire with Android 2.3. Say "Map of local greek restaurants"

Brings up a map of places with clickable pins. Click on a pin to get buttons for directions or to call them along with reviews and photos.

Why is this news?

1. VinceH

Optional

It almost sounds like a feature that was obviously invented by Apple has been used in a competitor's device before Apple invented it. How can this possibly be? It's astounding!

33. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Misleads, malpractice and cheap tricks - Apple Magic!

As we see for one more time Apple just twist as the black hole twist the light beam.

We see only external effects of what is going inside and indeed nobody can be sure what is.

So no iPhone 5? What is this? Is a just mislead.

Good... maybe many will asks why?!

Answer is - cheap tricks!

As I plead to many of my friends - Apple is a market leader but never have been technological one (maybe just in his very early years) .

This movement actually allows to push the concurrency to make their moves. Also there are tricky moments with Samsung and with European Standards Commission.

I have many time having my concerns about many of Jobsian "magical" way the Apple devices works. I would say that in 80% this belong to bad and not completely cooked "magic". Many time this stay covered just because of lack of documentation & info. Also many ideas are stolen from small companies or patented ideas that just logically stay on the way computer industry goes.

This is turns Apple in a really bad and fat patent troll.

Look guys - I don't see reason someone to create patents on the usual way phones or icons looking these days! And this is one of main points in trial against Samsung.

Same will be that someone try to create patent how books looking ( made of paper and having letters printed on this paper grouped in words and sentences )

So let me know guys do we will have all this knowledge if this were succeed. Indeed church try to be an medieval "Apple" and we all know it's fail in this case. So it will comes to Apple too.

I hate to have connected to iTunes just to transfer few songs.

I don't want Someone to monitor what I do in every moment and aspect of my life. And on this point I can said that this is VERY serious malpractice!!!

I don't want to pay part of my money just because to publish app I do on apple store. Why I cant just put in my web site?

I don't need Steve to told me how to hang HIS??? phone which I BUY with MY MONEY!!!

I don't like to be lied and tricked that there no problem when INDEED EXIST.

And please remember the Apple very famous user support!!! It's one of his kind!!! You can even be sued if go too far when try to protect your user rights!

And if you want just to buy another iPhone - go ahead :-) suffer and pray.

Honestly I'm moving to Android ....

Bye Apple ... and thanks for the fishes!!! :-)

34. Remy Redert

@Absent and Ilgaz

Absent: You meant the problem where you could bridge the electrical gap between the 2 antennae, causing a serious reduction in sensitivity? Because as far as I can see with the new design it still has 2 antennae and an electrical gap placed where it can be bridged to detune the antennae. And we're still dealing with antennae meant for different wavelengths so bridging the gap is likely to be a big nono still.

Ilgaz: Pick your android phone. Any android phone. Now instead of typing your request into the google bar that should be on your homepage, press the little microphone icon instead and issue your request in the same natural language you would have used for the iPhone.

Admittedly, it will not offer to call the nearest restaurant for you, but it will show you a list of Google search results including a link to the map so you can see where the nearest restaurant is. Apple has polished things a little and made some improvements to the functionality that the Google boys haven't yet but the big thing they're going on about with the natural language searching? Yeah. Google and Android were there first.

1. hazydave
      Boffin

And by all accounts, in a week, we'll see the first of Android 4.0, and the Samsung-made Nexus (Droid?) Prime. Given that the iPhone 4S doesn't really compete with the already announced 2011 Android high-end (as opposed to most iPhone releases, which have had at least a few things to make everyone else play catch-up), this could be the hottest phone of 2011. Unless Google's "pulling an Apple" here and letting hype shoot incredibly far beyond reality.

The curious thing this time isn't just the hardware, though... Apple's playing catch-up across the board. While the HW is catching up to the state of Android of even a year ago, the software, too, is catching up to Android... even 2.2. This is the first iOS that doesn't need PC tethering to function. They're finally doing notifications right. Android's had the natural language since 2.0 at least, and the microphone input nearly everywhere was 2.2 I think.

I'm not about to let Android off the hook... it can stand to catch up to Apple's "slickness", if that makes sense. It's been ahead on features for awhile, but behind on "gestalt". This is also a pretty interesting opportunity for Google to push ahead of iOS on new OS features, as well as maybe smooth it all up a bit.

35. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Soooo

The takeaway from all of this is essentially

'This changes some things, slightly, again'

36. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

People write all this as if that's it - as if Apple will not release other phones in the (possibly) near future. The new iOS version and iCloud look promising.

Not sure why everyone is so surprised - there was a 3G then 3GS - so big surprise there was a 4 then a 4S - shock! If anything the 4S (from the 4) is a bigger step than the 3GS was from the 3G.

37. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"This iPhone, in a shocking break with tradition, is going to be available in black and white from the start. So the fanboiz are going to have to buy two tomorrow instead of getting the black (or white) one now and then orgasming again when the white (or black) one comes out in six months' time."

Hardly - I bet very few people bought a black one then bought another 'white' one when it came out - more like people held off buying the white one until it was released.

It makes sense to release them at the same time as now people can just choose which they want.

38. trashbat
    Thumb Up

TOP TIP

Got an old and outdated iPhone 4 but want a new and definitely very different iPhone 4 S? Just pop down to the Deed Poll Office and upgrade it for £10. Or, why not pay £20 and use the Deed Poll Office S? It's indiscernibly quicker!

39. hazydave
    Alien

They did one thing right....

The camera.

They upped it to 8Mpixel. But on most smartphones, 8Mpixel is likely to be worse than 5Mpixel.

Apple's at least done their homework here. Shrinking the typical 1/4" sensor's pixel sites for 8Mpixel, sticking the same typical f3.0-f2.8 lens, and you'll find your sensor sites are smaller than the airy disc (limit of sharpness due to diffraction) for that lens/sensor combination.

Apple boosted their chip size just a bit in the iPhone 4, to 1/3.2", and they've upped the lens just a hair, to f2.5. This, coupled with backside illumination, should make a reasonable 8Mpixel camera. Some companies are selling you 3-4 marketing megapixels hidden in that 8Mpixel total count.

40. nederlander

Overshadow

Anyone think they are saving the iPhone 5 announcement for just after the Nexus Prime comes out?

41. Chronos
    Angel

Antennae

Antennas. It's radio, not insects.

Sorry, pet hate. I actually prefer "aerials" even though that's not a good term for things that are no longer exclusively up in the air.

Now, where's my "Steve Jobs with a lossy ringo ranger on his head" icon gone?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like