back to article O2 best placed to scoop new iPhone sales dosh

O2 will be quids in when the next iPhone is beamed down to mere mortals, a spectacle that's strongly rumoured to be happening tomorrow. According to figures from Kantar Worldpanel ComTech, O2 handles 45 per cent of the Apple fanbois in the UK, and those guys are known to be quite loyal. O2 used to have the exclusive deal on …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. nick47

Visual voicemail only works on o2

Which is the reason I've stuck with them.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Visual Voicemail

Same here, still on O2 despite the mostly appalling network coverage/performance at least in part because I don't want to lose Visual Voicemail (also it's very cheap on the old SIM-only iPhone retention plan).

15 months ago Vodafone and Orange told me they were going to enable Visual Voicemail very soon. Was that just salespeoples' lies?

2. jubtastic1

Ditto

Are you listening Vodafone?

2. cloudgazer

Given how crap O2 is I suspect that their fruity phone users will be just as likely to switch to Voda as to stay. One consumer advantage of the iPhone is that it's exactly the same model and experience with every carrier (ok, every carrier but Verizon) - unlike other handsets which have random and generally deleterious carrier 'customization'.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not sure about that

I switched from O2 to Vodafone, believing that it would be more reliable. At best, it is no better but it is more expensive and the "customer service" is truly shocking. And as someone already mentioned, Vodafone don't bother with premium services like visual voice-mail - they fob you off on third party apps.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Original iPhone sim-only deal

One reason that some might be reluctant to upgrade is if they’re on the sim-only deal, which O2 introduced on the quiet to retain iPhone users - http://www.knowyourmobile.com/blog/392508/o2_launches_new_20_a_month_iphone_tariff.html

Unlimited data was included, which for a smart phone ain’t bad… I found it was cheaper for me to flog my old one, buy an unlocked iPhone 4 outright, and remain on that 30-day rolling contract than go for a new contract that didn't have unlimited data.

1. Robert Hill

Also unlimited data for iPhone 3 owners..

If you are an older iPhone 3 owner, you also have a contract with unlimited data, provided you haven't taken any upgrades. As I skipped both the 3GS and 4, that means I'll be buying my iPhone 5 at Apple.com...and enjoying unlimited data a plenty. Now if I could only shift that plan to my iPad...

4. Naughtyhorse

*When* jesus mk4 arrives????

i thought samsung had a thing or two to say about that.

or is this one going to be wireless disabled like the jesus mk3?

5. Graham Lockley

'iPhone consumers are very loyal when upgrading their device. In Britain, over 70 per cent of iPhone owners who changed their device chose another iPhone.'

Wonder what the figures are for Android? Certainly most people I know who have Android phones are on at least their second (third in my case). Is it a case of 'better the devil you know' rather than any inherent loyalty?

6. CallumUK

Suprising..

This is suprising considering that o2 has the worst 3G coverage of any network, it's so spotty. I can see why this was OK when the original iPhone 2G was on their network, but why would most people stay on a network which is stuck in 1999?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

What network isn't crap?

Don't tell me Vodafone because it's simply not true. Tell me who is good and honest to god I'm signing up.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

O2

Not a chance AWFUL network coverage REALLY REALLY REALLY just awful.

1. D@v3
      FAIL

Really?

Really really??

I have been with O2 for a few years now, and yeah, they dont have blanket 3G coverage (which would be nice) but I cant remember being in a situation where I really really needed it, and didnt have it.

At the end of one of my contracts (before moving to the simplicity that others have mentioned) i thought i would try out the 3 network, and considering they are supposed to be the country's premier 3G supplier, their network was shocking. I very quickly found that where they had 3G, it was great, but where I used to be able to get on to the O2 network with lower rate technologies (Edge etc..) 3 had nothing at all.

So i went from having a smartphone that I could use where ever I wanted, with the occasional wait while things loaded. To having a smartphone that I couldn't even use to make phone calls while I was at home and at work.

Promptly moved back to O2, and will likely stay there for some time.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like