back to article Super Mario jumps on domain squatter

Nintendo has take control of the domain name SuperMario.com – fifteen years after it was first registered by a third party. The games company recently filed a cybersquatting complaint with the US National Arbitration Forum over the address, but the case was resolved before a formal hearing could be held as the previous owner …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Captain Scarlet
    Paris Hilton

Domain parking

I would have thought they would have requested these be transferred sooner espcially if there is no fansite on them.

1. Kevin Johnston

transfer charges?

If it isn't hurting then set a PFY to monitor it and just leave it be. Chances are it was bought in the hope they could make money and if you ignore them long anough they forget to renew and you can pick it up for peanuts. While you may have a really good case if you take it to the judge, there are still costs which you could save.

The article mentions that all the while it was 'parked' they left it but once they started linking it to playable content then it crept above the 'more hassle than it's worth' threshold.

2. Blitterbug
      Happy

'Classical' charcter SuperLuigi??!

...erm ok then...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I have more respect for Nintendo now...

... I certainly don't like squatters (they suck donkey balls), but I have to give Nintendo credit for not bothering to send attack-lawyers after parked domains which (presumably, correct me if I'm wrong) aren't making money for anyone else either. If I read the article correctly, Nintendo didn't go after the squatter until the site was unparked (is that a word?).

That said, if I was running Nintendo, I probably wouldn't be quite as forgiving as to let it drag on for 15 years... unless I just wanted to see the squatter waste his/her money (tiny amount that it might be) for nothing.

1. Kevin 6

actually

They didn't bother until links were put up to copies of nintendo games.

It seems nintendo, unlike a lot of companies that will sick rabid lawyers randomly after anyone that uses something remotely similar to their IP, actually looks to see what is being offered, and monitors it. I'm guessing that as how it is seeing it seems they leave alone a pile of the pokemon(and other) sites that are purely fan based, which also don't do anything illegal.

2. Daniel B.
      Devil

They do make money

Parked domains will usually have some kind of advertising, which will tran$late into $$$ to the domain's owner.

3. Richard Gadsden
      Happy

Agreed

If they've just registered a domain similar to your trademark, and are not using it abusively, then the UDRP will make it quite hard to get the domain handed over. Plus, why especially do you care if they're not doing anything objectionable with the domain?

Once they start using it to annoy your business, then of course you get it seized.

If this is Nintendo's policy, then it's the one I would recommend.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Kidnap my money-princess....

and I will goomba-stomp you. The squatters deserved it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like